K dude I'm giving this a listen.

Crit:
-Guitars are too low down in the mix, bring them uppp.
-Composition is great, riffs are pretty sweet.
-Sounds like a mono-recording. Maybe double track the guitars if you haven't and pan them one to each side.
-Not sure if you have bass in this yet, but it could use some.
-Cymbals are a bit too loud in the mix

I like it dude. Sounds really oldschool to me. Reminds me of what a song would be if Arsis and Death had a baby ahahah.

Jump over to my page and check out my song?
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1482320
Quote by BloodReverence
K dude I'm giving this a listen.

Crit:
-Guitars are too low down in the mix, bring them uppp.
-Composition is great, riffs are pretty sweet.
-Sounds like a mono-recording. Maybe double track the guitars if you haven't and pan them one to each side.
-Not sure if you have bass in this yet, but it could use some.
-Cymbals are a bit too loud in the mix

I like it dude. Sounds really oldschool to me. Reminds me of what a song would be if Arsis and Death had a baby ahahah.

Jump over to my page and check out my song?
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1482320

Now that's a compliment thanks I'll check yours out too!
Thanks for your crit, sir!

Your track is INCREDIBLE. Songwriting/composition/arrangement wise it's among the BEST I've heard in a very long time. SUPERB guitarwork, drums compliment it VERY well. Reminds me of Arsis style riffwork with oldschool melodeath production.

Now PRODUCTION is where I'm not too big a fan (I mean if you were going SPECIFICALLY for the oldschool sound, you pretty much nailed it but I'm not a fan of oldschool production. Personal thing.). Anyway.

I can't hear a bass in there. Did you record one? If you did, bring it up. Guitar tones need work(again, you're good to go if you deliberately wanted to get that unrefined old school sound). What gear did you use? Tell me that and I'll try my best to guide you tone wise.

This is one f*cking hell of a track, dude if you have a soundcloud page, post the link here and I'll follow you. You've got some SERIOUS skill man, this made my day. Brilliant!
I'm honored to almost give you a heart attack :0 lol
Thanks dude that means a bunch load! As for production, I'm not a good one but I do love the old school sound. I'm glad I got it to sound sort of unrefined, some of my favorite albums are even worse production haha!
Unfortunately I don't know any bass players, let alone musicians to work with. So no bass, I tried emulating bass with guitar and it turned out like piss.
I also don't know a lot about tone, so I downloaded a preset and tweaked it to my liking randomly. I use Amplitube 3 and a Jackson SLSMG with EMG 81/85

Here's my soundcloud!
http://soundcloud.com/touke
Thanks a bunch for your crit man!
Awesome. Alright: Your gear is good. Since you're using Amplitube, I'll assume you know your way around VST plugins. For your amp VST, try Poulin's plugins. lepouplugins.blogspot.com

Try the LeGION, EXCELLENT amp for melodeath especially! They also have an fantastic Triple Rec plugin there you might just love for this kinda stuff. If you've heard Insomnium and like their tones, the Triple Rec is the way to go! For impulses I recommend Catharsis or Guitarhack. All the above mentioned software is completely free.

Use the Poulin LeCab as the impulse loader. High pass at about 150 Hz, Low Pass at about 7.5kHz. Tweak amp settings to taste. You might want a warmer tone to cancel out the REALLY bright EMG 81 you have in the bridge.

For bass, do what I'm going to start doing: program it in midi and plug it into something like fruity loops or something to get an approximate bass sound that does the job fairly well. If not FL, try other plugins, like Hardcore Bass, or maybe Cakewalk Instruments Bass or something which are relatively inexpensive.

Even I'm an amateur man. I'm learning as well! Try the above suggestions and let me know how it goes! Cheers!

Edit: I love your kick. Snare can be a bit brighter. Hats need to be a BIT louder. Work on that stuff! Followed you by the way!

EDIT2: VOKILLZ!!!!!! Write some dark evull shite! Man this track is CRYING for vocals!
Last edited by TubeAmp89 at Sep 26, 2011,
i'll tweak it up til i find the tone i want, thanks. I've never seen something like LeCab before, at first when I turned it on it negated the sound of the guitar. Then I uploaded random mp3s into it and I got a tone. It's very confusing
MP3's? You mean WAVs, WAV files you throw in there are the actual impulses. They're basically EQ curves, that's all they are! Google "guide to recording guitar using vst amps and impulse responses" or something. THere are PLENTY of guides floating around!

Yet another edit: NOW I get who this song reminds me of. At The Gates meets Arsis! Incredible!
Last edited by TubeAmp89 at Sep 26, 2011,
awesome dude. I ****ing love At The Gates AND Arsis. When I said some of my favorite albums have old school production, two albums I was thinking about are A Celebration Of Guilt and definitely Terminal Spirit Disease!
At first, when you said melodeath, I was like oh no, COB again.

Then I heard it, and it totally blew my mind !

Awesome job buddy !

And i 'm not sure if it's UG, but I really think you should higher the mix sound to take it to a commercial level
Thanks for the Crit friend.

Your guitar playing is very nice, I really the harmonies you do around 1:10 on the leads. Very catchy riffs too good structure especially for an instrumental. It actually keeps my attention unlike most instrumentals. I feel you should work on your drum mix some more the ride is way too quiet and the snare sounds kinda dry for my taste. Great job on the song though man your really onto something here
Quote by TheMysterious
Thanks for the Crit friend.

Your guitar playing is very nice, I really the harmonies you do around 1:10 on the leads. Very catchy riffs too good structure especially for an instrumental. It actually keeps my attention unlike most instrumentals. I feel you should work on your drum mix some more the ride is way too quiet and the snare sounds kinda dry for my taste. Great job on the song though man your really onto something here

thanks man, appreciate it
Playing is very tight, and the two guitars work well together. I agree with the person who said it's a bit like Arsis. The opening riff is really cool, nice leads as well. Well structured piece, all the riffs blend nicely together and change enough to keep it interesting. Yeah some bass would be a good idea though. Maybe you could try again with a guitar shifted down an octave. That's what I did on my song and sure it doesn't sound any near as good as an actual bass gutiar, but it gave a passable sound and is better than nothing. I used TSE BOD, a load of compression, a cab sim and a load of EQ-ing to process the (DI) sound FWIW.
Very structured and brutal. I like the images coming in y head when i close my eyes and listen to it. I think the riffs could be a bit heavier, EQ-wise. I love the harmonies you've put. The solo is impeccable. The riffs after that with the drums go really well together. Thanks a lot for sharing this song with us.

C4C:
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1483429
Quote by MetalCommand
Playing is very tight, and the two guitars work well together. I agree with the person who said it's a bit like Arsis. The opening riff is really cool, nice leads as well. Well structured piece, all the riffs blend nicely together and change enough to keep it interesting. Yeah some bass would be a good idea though. Maybe you could try again with a guitar shifted down an octave. That's what I did on my song and sure it doesn't sound any near as good as an actual bass gutiar, but it gave a passable sound and is better than nothing. I used TSE BOD, a load of compression, a cab sim and a load of EQ-ing to process the (DI) sound FWIW.

Thanks as bunch, I downloaded TSE BOD just now and I'm going to give it a shot!
Really good track, reminds me of old In Flames and Nightrage. I like how you've structured it with the tempo and mood changes, they work really well to not let the song get boring. Your riffs sound crushing and original too. I especially like it when the two guitars are playing something completely different, that's something I try to do in my songs too. Would appreciate it if you could check out my track