Isn't it time UG has a thread for the best movie ever? Kubrick was a genius with a ton of symbolism and double meanings in his movies, and this is a good example of that as well as an amazing piece of art.

Discuss.
"The man that hath no music in himself, nor is not moved with concord of sweet sounds, is fit for treasons, stratagems, and spoils. The motions of his spirit are dull as night, and his affections dark as Erebus. Let no such man be trusted."
That movie was pretty cool. I got to watch it again though, haven't seen that in so long
i like kubrick. he goes to jupiter and doesn't afraid of anything.
Gear
Highway One Tele (w/Custom Shop 51 Nocaster pickups)
Standard Tele (modded to Nashville specs)
Reverend Roundhouse

Orange Rockerverb 50 MKI
Vox AC4c1
Jet City JCA20H

And pedals!

"Shiva opens her arms now..
...to make sure I don't get too far"
We have a thread for films in general. I think that covers this. Incredible film nonetheless. My personal Kubrickian preference falls towards A Clockwork Orange and Doctor Strangelove but 2001 is without a doubt incredible.
Please excuse my godawful username. I was thirteen.
Last edited by Thrasher51 at Sep 24, 2011,
It was a really good movie about robots taking over the world and then shit hit the fan for the last 30 minutes with the LSD picturescape.

It's one of those movies where you have to watch it at least twice to catch all the symbolism.
inb4 Film Thread haters come here

I personally love it. One of my favorites. Love the soundtrack, love the camera work, love the super intro scene, and I love how long and silent and "boring" it is because it fits in with the theme of space and all that.

Plus the Hal 9000 part is creepy as ****. I fell asleep watching this movie one night and I woke up at the part where Hal is being all creepy as ****. I was creeped out as ****.
“Just to sum up: I would do various things very quickly.” - Donald Trump
Quote by bradulator

I personally love it. One of my favorites. Love the soundtrack, love the camera work, love the super intro scene, and I love how long and silent and "boring" it is because it fits in with the theme of space and all that.

very much this. I love the slowness of it, gives me time to think about it all, and it seriously looks like space, some awesome special effects for 1968
"The man that hath no music in himself, nor is not moved with concord of sweet sounds, is fit for treasons, stratagems, and spoils. The motions of his spirit are dull as night, and his affections dark as Erebus. Let no such man be trusted."
Quote by Fullmetalzawa
It was a really good movie about robots taking over the world and then shit hit the fan for the last 30 minutes with the LSD picturescape.

It's one of those movies where you have to watch it at least twice to catch all the symbolism.
That's not what it's about.
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano
i kinda wish we all had a penis and vagina instead of buttholes

i mean no offense to buttholes and poop or anything

Rest in Peace, Troy Davis and Trayvon Martin and Jordan Davis and Eric Garner and Mike Brown
any time that i talk with someone named Dave, i want to talk like HAL 9000.
Quote by metalh3ad88
The book was better.

Just sayin.

This. But I love the movie as well.
cat
Quote by uhh_me?
any time that i talk with someone named Dave, i want to talk like HAL 9000.
I did it once. He didn't get it and thought I was weird.

I can live with that.
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano
i kinda wish we all had a penis and vagina instead of buttholes

i mean no offense to buttholes and poop or anything

Rest in Peace, Troy Davis and Trayvon Martin and Jordan Davis and Eric Garner and Mike Brown
Quote by uhh_me?
it has to be a right of passage for Daves.

So what does that mean has to happen to Franks?
It was a pretentious, contrived wank that Kubrick shit out like all of his movies. It's not deep, it doesn't even have any meaning. ****ing apes, oh ****ing wow! He must be a genious, that much bullshit and meaningless ramble must have some super intellectual, well though out meaning!
Quote by Well.......
It was a pretentious, contrived wank that Kubrick shit out like all of his movies. It's not deep, it doesn't even have any meaning. ****ing apes, oh ****ing wow! He must be a genious, that much bullshit and meaningless ramble must have some super intellectual, well though out meaning!

I think sitting back and taking in the aesthetic of the movie yields a lot more than looking for double meanings and treating any symbolism like it's a scavenger hunt.

If you don't quite understand how mainstream movies can also be serious high art, 2001 drives the point home. Every sound, every image, and every word is completely controlled toward one draaaaaaawn out effect: There has never been a better atmospheric sense of outer space in a movie.

It sure as hell wasn't a ramble, everything in that film added up to the exact same end.
i say ive never seen it because i have never seen it

Quote by Well.......

even without seeing it you sound like a twat
Sell and Promote your music TuneHub!

wy is yer mad at muy gramhar fer?

Quote by jimmyled
jimmybanks youre a genius.

aparently i ar smrt?
Quote by dyingLeper
jimmybanks youre a genius

GO SENS GO
Last edited by JimmyBanks6 at Sep 24, 2011,
Quote by dullsilver_mike
I think sitting back and taking in the aesthetic of the movie yields a lot more than looking for double meanings and treating any symbolism like it's a scavenger hunt.

If you don't quite understand how mainstream movies can also be serious high art, 2001 drives the point home. Every sound, every image, and every word is completely controlled toward one draaaaaaawn out effect: There has never been a better atmospheric sense of outer space in a movie.

It sure as hell wasn't a ramble, everything in that film added up to the exact same end.

I was just kidding a bit. It definitely is great movie, I know that it is mainly visuals and the visuals are great. One of the most well shot movies I've ever seen.
awesome movie hell yeah i got that poster, pretty much the definition of a film right there +146535617234612578
Quote by Well.......
I was just kidding a bit. It definitely is great movie, I know that it is mainly visuals and the visuals are great. One of the most well shot movies I've ever seen.

Sure sure...

It's a strange movie. I don't think I would watch it again, the second time will probably just be extremely boring, since I already felt the whole slowness and quietness of it once.
I marvel at JUST how long ago that movie came out. And how time hasn't hurt it one bit. The beautiful shots of space are more compelling and even more realistic than ANYTHING done on a computer...
Keep you doped with religion and sex and TV
And you think you're so clever and class less and free
But you're still fucking peasants as far as I can see

A working class hero is something to be.