I know this has been done before on here, I've read the topic a few times before and I knew about the 10K hour theory before I saw that topic. I've always just wanted to try this myself and see what the results may bring and being able to post on here and log it I think is a good idea for myself and other guitarists who would like to monitor aspects of technique and practice regimes.

Here is a bit of background information about myself just to give you an idea of where I stand when I'm starting this quest/log. I've played guitar for about a year and a half pretty much everyday for a couple hours, I've never had lessons at all, everything I've learned I've learned myself. I didn't discover guitar until late in life, however I enjoy it very much and find it as a way of channelling emotions so I enjoy doing it everyday. I like logging hours as I'm a very methodological person and like to write task lists and check them off, I'm hoping this topic will serve as my online list.

Here is how I am planning on breaking things down with my approach:

- I do not plan on playing guitar for 10hrs a day, I plan on playing guitar for 3 to 3.5 hours a day everyday.

- I will post my weekly day by day log of exactly what I am going to do each day, and what my goals are for the day/week.

- I plan on breaking down my practice routine as such:
  • Song playing for 1.5 hours
  • Songwriting for 30 minutes
  • Music theory for 30 minutes
  • Technique study for 30 minutes (includes studying licks and riffs)
  • Actively listening to music for 30 minutes doing ear training

- I will try my best to learn as many songs as I can during the week (of different skill levels and styles) and write my own songs and post them in a video log at the end of each week starting now.

- I want to target all different styles of guitar, from Classical to Blues and will do my best to consistently switch it up. However I will say this, my heart is set on blues, pop, and jazz guitar.

- Lastly I do not plan on approaching this part of my journey with an ego, I plan on actively seeking a teacher and learning all I can learn from people.

With that being said, lets get down to business.....

TOTAL HOURS LOGGED: 1000 (will update weekly)

Week 1 Study Sheet:

Goals:
- Be able to play the following songs: blackbird, six feet from the edge, robo theme (chrono trigger), your body is a wonderland
- Continue to learn notes on the guitar neck
- Have two of my own songs written
- Have learned 2 new licks that I can use

I will post a video update next saturday with what I accomplished.

Here is my current youtube channel:
http://www.youtube.com/user/MegaMacLennan

Everything will be uploaded to that channel.

My current equipment:
A korean made acoustic guitar (no name), and a USA fender stratocaster plugged into a fender frontman amp. (No pedals at this time).

Ali Mac
Good luck.
But boys will be boys and girls have those eyes
that'll cut you to ribbons, sometimes
and all you can do is just wait by the moon
and bleed if it's what she says you ought to do
You have a blog on your profile for this kind of stuff
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com