i have an opportunity to get a vai legacy full stack.
i know these are bitchin amps but it may not suit my style.
im after a more british tone thats real trebbly and crackley kind of like the song Achilles Last Stand by Led Zeppelin. i also play alot of Mars Volta progressive type stuff also a british sound.
so does anyone think the vai legacy would be a good choice?
Egnater Tweaker 40
Yamaha s412
Vox AC4TV
Fender Blues Jr. VIII

Fender MIM Jazzmaster
Fender MIM Telecaster
Ibanez GAX70
Ibanez VBT700
Epiphone Les Paul jr.
Gibson Les Paul 60's Tribute

Various Effects
i'd say you should limit speculation and try the amp out, preferably in a band situation.

edit: i play a bit of volta. i use an orange OR50H, but it does just as well as my music man amps. i think that vai amp will do ya pretty good.
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
Last edited by gumbilicious at Sep 24, 2011,
Holy **** what arenas are you playing in to be able to make that tube amp sing like it should???
haha just band practice and small venues i most likeley wont use the second cab unless i do an outdoor show but the guy on craigslist is selling it for a steal price of 850 so something inside me wont let me pass this deal up
Egnater Tweaker 40
Yamaha s412
Vox AC4TV
Fender Blues Jr. VIII

Fender MIM Jazzmaster
Fender MIM Telecaster
Ibanez GAX70
Ibanez VBT700
Epiphone Les Paul jr.

Various Effects
now im not so sure i watched some demos and it sounds great but is not really what im after, that buzzy crackley sound like an orange or vox.
Egnater Tweaker 40
Yamaha s412
Vox AC4TV
Fender Blues Jr. VIII

Fender MIM Jazzmaster
Fender MIM Telecaster
Ibanez GAX70
Ibanez VBT700
Epiphone Les Paul jr.

Various Effects
I found the legacy I played very smooth. Perhaps not what you want. Try it out, you might be able to dial it in to get the tones you want
RIP Gooze

cats
The Carvin Legacy amps (the original and the new ones) are great. They're capable of a lot of different tones. They do have a heavy bass response, though, so if you're looking for a thinner, trebly tone then it might not be the one for you. But if it is in good shape and is selling for a good price, I highly recommend it.
"Maybe this world is another planet's hell?" - Aldous Huxley
any amp is going to be a compromise to cover the genres you list so you need a versatile set up.

which that is.

consider getting it and flipping one of the cabs to lessen your overall cost. one of the cabs will sound better to you, sell off the other one obviously.

good luck.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
thanks for the responses. im going to try it out in a couple days and see if its got the tone im after.
Egnater Tweaker 40
Yamaha s412
Vox AC4TV
Fender Blues Jr. VIII

Fender MIM Jazzmaster
Fender MIM Telecaster
Ibanez GAX70
Ibanez VBT700
Epiphone Les Paul jr.

Various Effects
Many people say that it's too smooth. This is true, but if you use an EQ pedal to cut the low mids/bass and boost the high mids, it can get a lot crunchier. And don't worry about it being in a band mix. It DESTROYS in a band mix. Maybe too much; how many guitarists are in your band and what gear are they using?
Quote by blackflag49
Condoms, for all the copious amounts of pussy with which you will be inevitably bombarded from this moment onward.

Quote by bingeandletgo
Many people say that it's too smooth. This is true, but if you use an EQ pedal to cut the low mids/bass and boost the high mids, it can get a lot crunchier. And don't worry about it being in a band mix. It DESTROYS in a band mix. Maybe too much; how many guitarists are in your band and what gear are they using?

Yup. It's got too much low mid content for most people. I dig it but I'm a fan of that sound.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
im the only guitarist in the band the bass player uses swr head and gk 4x10 drummer has a gretsch catalina with zildjian and sabian cymbals and a pork pie snare.

from what im hearing it sounds like i might lean more toward a peavey since they seem to have the crunchy highs that i like.
Egnater Tweaker 40
Yamaha s412
Vox AC4TV
Fender Blues Jr. VIII

Fender MIM Jazzmaster
Fender MIM Telecaster
Ibanez GAX70
Ibanez VBT700
Epiphone Les Paul jr.

Various Effects
Peavey has a bunch of amps and not all of them have "crunchy" highs.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
I don't know why you're even thinking about this. You could make most of your money back on the cabs and have a nice backup head or sell the half stack, keep a cab and still make a profit. OK, probably not a profit but damn near free. Unless the thing is in rough shape, that is a steal. You won't hate it.
Last edited by D_M_I at Sep 24, 2011,
850 though a steal is still alot of money, and i need to save money these days. im gonna go for something cheaper that i wont have to dip into my savings. but if anyone live in riverside california and has the money definitely go get it.
Egnater Tweaker 40
Yamaha s412
Vox AC4TV
Fender Blues Jr. VIII

Fender MIM Jazzmaster
Fender MIM Telecaster
Ibanez GAX70
Ibanez VBT700
Epiphone Les Paul jr.

Various Effects
you can always go and take the treble, crank it up, drop the bass, up the mids a bit, up the presence and turn down the gain a bit and raise the volume A LOT.
That should bring you decently close the the sound you want, but I havn't tried out one sadly, i just do that kinda trick with my jsx if i want a good slightly crunch clean tone. like master at 7, channel vol at 6 or so, pre gain at 1, 6-7 treble, 6-7 mids, 4-5 bass, 5-6 resonance, 6 or so on the presence. VERY loud, but quite clear and if you want more gain, either up the volume or take the pre gain up very slightly.
the jsx and legacy's are both smooth but decently bright also. if you do something along the lines of that, you should have a decent tone. but mostly just fiddle with the knobs until you get the tone you want.