I got my Desktop PC in January and around June/July sort of time i put in another DVD Drive. This all worked fine but about 2 weeks ago the PSU burnt out and had to be replaced, luckily it was within warranty still so i got it replaced for free but ideally i want to know how to stop it from happening again.

Would this have been caused by the addition of the new DVD drive? Also literally all the USB ports are in use too.
Hmmm would really depend on your PSU wattage.

What is the wattage and how many HD's and what processor do you have?
Quote by smokeysteve22
Hmmm would really depend on your PSU wattage.

What is the wattage and how many HD's and what processor do you have?

400 Watts
1 Internal 1TB Harddrive, 1 External USB 1TB Harddrive
AMD 640 Quad Core 3GHz Processor
8GB DDR3 RAM
It could be overloading your PSU, and it could also be faulty electricity. I don't think anyone should be running a PC without having it hooked up to a UPS, just in case of power outages, or anything like that.

edit: I don't think 400 watts is enough to run a quad and a graphics card.
Catch me,
heal me,
Lift me back up to the Sun
I choose to live
Quote by Firenze
It could be overloading your PSU, and it could also be faulty electricity. I don't think anyone should be running a PC without having it hooked up to a UPS, just in case of power outages, or anything like that.

edit: I don't think 400 watts is enough to run a quad and a graphics card.

Thats what was provided when i bought the PC. It ran fine for a couple of months but only recently burnt out .
Quote by Afroboy267
400 Watts
1 Internal 1TB Harddrive, 1 External USB 1TB Harddrive
AMD 640 Quad Core 3GHz Processor
8GB DDR3 RAM

400watts should be min for all that.
Your probably overloading it quite alot with your DVD drives.

Are you using Firewire or/how many USB Ports?
Any graphics cards?
Fans?

http://extreme.outervision.com/psucalculatorlite.jsp

use this to work an estimate of what your using idle.

Quote by Afroboy267
Thats what was provided when i bought the PC. It ran fine for a couple of months but only recently burnt out .

Where did you get the computer from?
Last edited by smokeysteve22 at Sep 24, 2011,
I'm running 600 watts on an Nvidia GTX250, a 3.06 dual core, and 1 TB HDD. I'm underusing mine, but yours should be at least 600 or 700. Are you running a mid or a tower?
Catch me,
heal me,
I choose to live
Quote by smokeysteve22
400watts should be min for all that.
Your probably overloading it quite alot with your DVD drives.

Are you using Firewire or/how many USB Ports?
Any graphics cards?
Fans?

http://extreme.outervision.com/psucalculatorlite.jsp

use this to work an estimate of what your using idle.

Where did you get the computer from?

Using 6 USB Ports and running a 1GB DDR3 Graphics card, 3 fans.

Quote by Firenze
I'm running 600 watts on an Nvidia GTX250, a 3.06 dual core, and 1 TB HDD. I'm underusing mine, but yours should be at least 600 or 700. Are you running a mid or a tower?

No idea what a Mid is so probably a Tower.

Will this solve my problems?: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/600w-PRO-ATX-600-WATT-PSU-SATA-POWER-SUPPLY-UNIT-PC-/250843270182?pt=UK_Computing_PowerSupplies_EH&hash=item3a676c8c26
Quote by Afroboy267

Will this solve my problems?: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/600w-PRO-ATX-600-WATT-PSU-SATA-POWER-SUPPLY-UNIT-PC-/250843270182?pt=UK_Computing_PowerSupplies_EH&hash=item3a676c8c26

The graphics card will eat alot of power, the fans are minimal.
Id be skeptical about that brand you posted seems very cheap.

Go with a reliable brand PSU your whole computer runs off it if it damages, your motherboard will be damaged and other components.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0050AFU46/ref=asc_df_B0050AFU464541862?smid=A3FQIEOFZOU5HP&tag=googlecouk06-21&linkCode=asn&creative=22218&creativeASIN=B0050AFU46

600-700watt you want.
Last edited by smokeysteve22 at Sep 24, 2011,
Quote by Afroboy267

Remember the risks when buying cheap. If it's a cheap powersupply and it overloads, it'll damage anything in your case and it will NOT be under waranty.

http://www.novatech.co.uk/products/components/powersupplies/nov-psb750.html

It'll be more power than you might ever need, but it's going to be easy to transfer it to another computer should you need or even upgrade your current GPU.

It has safety protection/surge protection and I can confirm it's dead quiet (I have the 500 version) when at idle as well as modular cables so you can put only the connections you need to for better airflow (and it has a LOT of cables).

What uses the most power are the CPU and GPU. USB slots are 5volt independent or share 5volts between 2 on cheaper motherboards and fans use almost nothing.
There's a good chance that what I've written above is useless and if you take any of the advice it's your own fault.
These power supplies are a lot of money. I might have to take the risk and go for the cheaper option and maybe upgrade when i get some money in the future. I'm on a student budget after all .
if you're going to go with something used at least go with a brand name. Try Thermaltake or Corsair.

Also, try to remember that spending 50 extra dollars on something good is a lot cheaper than spending 800 dollars on a new PC.

edit: and invest in a UPS.
Catch me,
heal me,
I choose to live
Quote by Afroboy267
These power supplies are a lot of money. I might have to take the risk and go for the cheaper option and maybe upgrade when i get some money in the future. I'm on a student budget after all .

Sure man, wait until you have enough money for a good PSU imo.

Only thing you can do is remove stuff to save power or go used with a good brand name

Cosair,Thermaltake, Antec etc..
what mobo is it?

only piece of info that hasn't been stated that will most likely save you money from buying 150watt extra >_>

Specifically the mobo form facotr (size)

EDIT: just to give a general idea

Intel Quad core Q8600
Asus (ATX form factor)
12gb DDR2
One CD drive
2 WD 500gb HDDs
1gb DDR4 ATI Radeon GPU
3-4 USB ports filled
4 fans (case fan, gpu fan, heatsink, harddrive fan)

and im still running 400watts
People in the pit take my post way too seriously.

MyAnimeList
7-String Legion

If you have a question PM me and I will always get back to you.
Last edited by Deadlock Riff at Sep 24, 2011,
Quote by Afroboy267
Yeah. used might be a good idea. Thanks!

Trouble is they always cheap out on the PSU with prebuilt computers.

The guy above posted said he can run that on 400watt thats cool, if you do buy a PSU though just get way above what you need.

500-700watt

Im using a 500watt PSU from thermaltake and that does fine.
Yeah I wasn't disagreeing with your post but i was also saying there's no reason he needs to overkill either.

Imo 700-750w is a bit much for his setup (as far as ive seen).

Though I'd solidly suggest 550w for his comp.
People in the pit take my post way too seriously.

MyAnimeList
7-String Legion

If you have a question PM me and I will always get back to you.
Never never never never skimp on the PSU. If you go cheap on it, you will have a metric ton of problems in the future, most of which not cheaply fixed. Just wait until you have enough to afford an appropriate PSU.
Quote by smokeysteve22
The graphics card will eat alot of power, the fans are minimal.
Id be skeptical about that brand you posted seems very cheap.

Go with a reliable brand PSU your whole computer runs off it if it damages, your motherboard will be damaged and other components.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0050AFU46/

600-700watt you want.

Im using this PSU as well, Nice psu, very quiet. wires are long so it'll be fine in a bottom mounted case (such as an Antec 300)