Hey there guys (:
First things first, I am first and foremost a metal guitarist. I know a... Let's say "decent" amount of theory. I am, however, looking to expand my horizons a bit.

Now to my questions. I would like to know what songs you guys suggest I learn early on. I don't want anything super simple, more in the "intermediate" area. I've searchbarred songs to learn, but in every thread, the same songs just seem to keep popping up. (Blackbird, Stairway, Tears In Heaven, Under The Bridge, etc.). I would like some new reccomendations, if possible ? (Not saying those are easy, just so you know, haha).

Also, my pinky is extremely weak when it comes to fingerpicking. Any ideas on strenghtening? Or should I just practice with it relentlessly until it improves? :s

Thanks in advance (:
WE ARE HERE TO MAKE COFFEE METAL. WE WILL MAKE EVERYTHING METAL. BLACKER THAN THE BLACKEST BLACK TIMES INFINITY.
j.s bach I don't think you should be using your pinky in picking.

Edit: if it sounds "too hard" of a song, it's really not, no need to play it that fast. And you shouldn't use your pinky finger, index for G, middle for B and ring for E and your thumb for the bass strings(E,A,D).
Last edited by plaa at Sep 24, 2011,
Oh, thanks (:
Haha, just a bit of a noob at this, that's all. Thanks again !
WE ARE HERE TO MAKE COFFEE METAL. WE WILL MAKE EVERYTHING METAL. BLACKER THAN THE BLACKEST BLACK TIMES INFINITY.
Try behind the screams by CKY
Very good acoustic song to learn. It is definitely in the intermediate area. Also You could try what it's like by everlast. Very easy but fun to play.
Quote by plaa
Edit: if it sounds "too hard" of a song, it's really not, no need to play it that fast. And you shouldn't use your pinky finger, index for G, middle for B and ring for E and your thumb for the bass strings(E,A,D).

Utter crap, you use your fingers as logically as possible.

That Double is by no means an intermediate piece either.
It doesnt matter what song you finger pick. I fingerpick Ironman & many other Metal songs. IMHO, I think it is about getting the feel for the song/piece & letting your fingers pick out rythmic patterns that augment the original. Haveing said that i have no training no theory but can kick it. Oh I use all fingers & thumb & never have a fixed finger for any string or fret I simply use whatever finger is most economic i.e. the least amount of movement when repositioning the fingers.

Practice practice practice is how you get it. But the most important thing about practice is to have fun
Richard

Veni Vidi Vici

Head Drug Tester of Australians FTWclub
PM the_random_hero for entry

Prime Minister of the UG archtop acoustic players club,
PM Keef_is_King
to join!
ive heard that classical fingerpicking doesnt use the picky. i try to follow this, but sometime you cant throw in that picky on rare occasions
I would say don't use your pinky I think it is more fluent of a style and is easier to play a lot of songs without it but do whatever you feel like it is your choice lol whatever i more comfortable to you.
Dust in the wind by Kansas is really good, Don't think twice its alright, bob dylan, and classical gas by mason Williams is very popular or some more challenging just look for anything by Tommy Emmanuel
My first song was When September Ends by green day, i did a more simplified version of Sungha Jung's version (youtube)
Er...kinda late, but Julia, Dear Prudence, Marry Me er....did i say Dust in the Wind? xD

Try Justin Sandercoe's Pg 99; it's an awesome one too.
G(g)od was like: "Make you an ark of gopher wood; rooms shall you make in the ark, and shall pitch it within and without with pitch."

And i was like: "What's gopher wood?"
Although I can't comment on whether using the pinky is classical technique, using your pinky to fingerpick isn't unusual. I use it all the time, as did my fingerpicking instructor.
Some of the best fingerpickers use just thumb and index finger .... listen to Doc Watson, Big Bill Broonzy or Merle Travis.

Most professional steel string guitar fingerpickers use thumb and index/middle fingers.

Classical guitarists use thumb and 3 fingers.

Flamenco guitarists use thumb and 4 fingers (though the pinky is just used as part of the flamenco strum technique).

The pinky is virtually never used for fingerpicking. Only a handful of people the world over use the pinky ..... these radicals should be sent to the Gulag (just joking, no need to lynch me).

To learn about steel string fingerpicking, go to the experts ... you'll find them here http://guitarvideos.com This website is the Stefan Grossman website. It's by far the best and most diverse resource in the world for acoustic guitar fingerpicking instruction. There's a forum there also.
Last edited by DJN123 at Sep 30, 2011,