Hurm. This seemed like the best place for this...

I am looking at purchasing a MIDI Keyboard, and I was just wondering if that works for both recording, and playing songs live (i.e. Can you connect it to a laptop and amp and choose the instrument you want to use et cetera)?

Thanks a million guys.
Quote by slash_GNR666
You sir, are a giant c*** and you finger will forever haunt my dreams.

Quote by Kind, Non-Existant User
Coco-Loco is the finest bit of meat on the butcher block.
Last edited by coco-loco at Oct 6, 2011,
yes it will do all those things. But you do realize to generate sound you will need to go via the laptop or other synth.

So just the keyboard and amp won't work
Yeah I know, thanks

If I set it up so that it was connected from a laptop, to the keyboard, to an amp, would that work?
Quote by slash_GNR666

yeah. it would be more like, keyboard to laptop to amp but that's just being pedantic.

and that's assuming you've got a laptop/sound card powerful enough to cope with low latency.
Great, thank you very much!

Is there any way of finding that out?

And also, does anyone know if they are actually used by professionals, or if they're just cheapies which amateurs use? :P

Quote by slash_GNR666

My live setup MIDI Keyboard connected to PC via USB. Soft-synths ran through FL Studio controlled via MIDI Keyboard and MPD. Line 6 UX2 output to sound board....

Reznor has used MIDI keyboards live for a while. I believe on the Fragility Tour in '99 or '00 he was using a Juno as a MIDI controller (If I remember correctly it was that or a DX model).

EDIT: I just looked up Charlie Clouser said in an interview he used a Yamaha CBX-K2 for sound banks and MIDI live.
Last edited by FireHawk at Oct 6, 2011,
Quote by FireHawk
My live setup MIDI Keyboard connected to PC via USB. Soft-synths ran through FL Studio controlled via MIDI Keyboard and MPD. Line 6 UX2 output to sound board....

Reznor has used MIDI keyboards live for a while. I believe on the Fragility Tour in '99 or '00 he was using a Juno as a MIDI controller (If I remember correctly it was that or a DX model).

EDIT: I just looked up Charlie Clouser said in an interview he used a Yamaha CBX-K2 for sound banks and MIDI live.

Wow, thanks!!! That's really awesome to know!!!!!

Could I please ask what the difference between a MIDI controller and a MIDI Keyboard is though? Thanks!

(there'll probably be a couple of more questions coming too!!)
Quote by slash_GNR666

Quote by coco-loco
Wow, thanks!!! That's really
Could I please ask what the difference between a MIDI controller and a MIDI Keyboard is though? Thanks!

(there'll probably be a couple of more questions coming too!!)

Same thing. Not all controllers are keyboards (MIDI covers more than just note on/off) but then, not all keyboards are controllers. As long as the keyboard has a MIDI output you can use it. It's cheaper and lighter to get just a keyboard controller and use all computer based sounds, but other keyboards/samplers can be used.

If you plan on playing live I recommend the Akai MPK line, or M Audio's Axiom line for the budget minded keyboardist.
midi keyboard is a type of controller.

midi is really a computer language and not actually sound. a controller give the sound to a computer. midi can controller knobs and sliders as well as tell notes to play. i kinda personally seperate the difference as a midi keyboard would be like this while i would consider this or this a MIDI controller.

But really a MIDI controller is just something that sends MIDI messages.

I would recommend a keyboard with sliders, drum pads, and faders. Such as the second link above. I use a keyboard for my notes and a separate device (an AKAI Pro MPD24) for all my sliders and such, and its kind of a pain. The more you get into to synthesizers and live usage you find more cool things you can and will want to do. I got a cheap keyboard (M-Audio Keystations 61es/first link above) because at first I just needed cheap piano sounds....and well that changed...

EDIT: Sandyman beat me to it...I recommended exactly what he said...

EDIT 2: Keyboard thread where you can get some great information -> https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1466778
Okay, thanks heaps, both of you!!! What do the faders and sliders do on the Controllers? I really appreciate this both of you!!!

Cheers

EDIT: And if someone was to use a MIDI Controller/Keyboard live, they would also have a laptop very close by as well, right? And can you save patches into them?
Quote by slash_GNR666

Last edited by coco-loco at Oct 6, 2011,
Quote by coco-loco
Okay, thanks heaps, both of you!!! What do the faders and sliders do on the Controllers? I really appreciate this both of you!!!

Cheers

You can control effects (filtes, phasors, panning, etc.) and volume fade ins. You can do a lot.

Yes you can save patches in the software synths (on the computer), and yes you do need some type of computer near by.
Quote by FireHawk
You can control effects (filtes, phasors, panning, etc.) and volume fade ins. You can do a lot.

Yes you can save patches in the software synths (on the computer), and yes you do need some type of computer near by.

Wow, that's awesome, thanks!

Yeah-I knew that you could save them into the computer or laptop, but I wasn't sure about directly saving them into the Keyboard.

My thoughts exactly! Seeing as the ones you guys have recommended me are a bit more expensive that I expected, I think I'll save up for a bit, and buy them early next year-ish, instead of my birthday in a weeks time!

But I think that's it, and really thanks! So helpful!

Quote by slash_GNR666

You can't save them into the controller but you can assign one of the pads (if your controller has them) or buttons to switch patches.

There are cheaper ones out there, it all depends on the quality you want and the number of keys you need. If you're gigging with it you'll want something that will both survive and thrive on the road.

EDIT: Also, feel free to look used. I picked up an Axiom 61 for around $170 (not the newest version) and it has served me very well.
Last edited by sandyman323 at Oct 7, 2011,
Quote by sandyman323
You can't save them into the controller but you can assign one of the pads (if your controller has them) or buttons to switch patches.

There are cheaper ones out there, it all depends on the quality you want and the number of keys you need. If you're gigging with it you'll want something that will both survive and thrive on the road.

EDIT: Also, feel free to look used. I picked up an Axiom 61 for around $170 (not the newest version) and it has served me very well.

very good suggestion also 49 can prob get job done (i prefer 61s though)
Quote by FireHawk

The reason I suggested Akai's is that M-Audio has had some reliability issues in the past. When I was looking to get mine I read a lot of complaints from giggers that it died way too soon, but those who left it at home and never moved it said it was awesome. I think M-Audio has improved since the whole Avid thing, but it's worth keeping in mind. Akai's keys also feel a bit better to me.

Are you a fellow M-Audio user?
Quote by sandyman323
The reason I suggested Akai's is that M-Audio has had some reliability issues in the past. When I was looking to get mine I read a lot of complaints from giggers that it died way too soon, but those who left it at home and never moved it said it was awesome. I think M-Audio has improved since the whole Avid thing, but it's worth keeping in mind. Akai's keys also feel a bit better to me.

Are you a fellow M-Audio user?

I run an M-Audio Keystation 61es it was the low end semi-weighted keyboard they use to make (literally has 61 keys, mod wheel, pitch wheel, and octave selector is all). I got it second hand and use it all the time, as of late only live because my singer has been leaving his Yahama MM6 at my place and it has a dope arpeggiator built in I have been using like crazy for my solo album. But yeah I beat the shit out of my M-Audio, its been knocked off the stand two or three times and hit with a guitar lol. The keystation though does have a big shell for what it is...the MM6 has half the casing, and LCD screen, and a ton of buttons, and a computer that has a TON of patches...so its probably just the huge casing that protects my Keystation (although something moves on the inside when you turn it on its side lol)

I also though use the Akai Pro MPD 24...I really dislike the Akai pads compared to a M-Audio Trigger Finger I have used a few times. I don't know if Akai has changed their pads (mine is a year old I got refurbished) but the stock sensitivity is a bitch. You gotta pound on that thing to get a good reading (live I actually have it set for max sensitivity all the time).

I think both companies though are great. I do think the MPK is very appealing (I actually really want to play with one sometime), but the pads are a big deal for next interface I get (I am thinking of condensing my keyboard and mpd into one interface for simplicity).

The only problem I have had with quality in either instance was my friend had a M-Audio Mobile Pre audio interface and that thing sucked a big one.

EDIT:I also have a 24key novation that kind of sucks...I don't even know where it is, but its missing a knob or two from when I moved...
Last edited by FireHawk at Oct 7, 2011,
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41e6NuLSnVL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

So those 16 little buttons are the pads I assume? So I could assign 16 individual samples to each pad?

Quote by FireHawk

Just so I know, are we talking about the amount of keys here? If so, 49 is probably more what I was looking at.

Is it possible to get pads and say 49 keys? Because I've only seen like, 12 key Controllers to have pads on them. Thanks guys!

EDIT: I'm looking at the MPK49 now, and it's $750 Aussie Dollars (Pretty much the same amount American at the moment!). Is it a decent Controller, and a decent price for what it is?
Quote by slash_GNR666

Last edited by coco-loco at Oct 7, 2011,
First with that MPD (I have an older version of it)...you can assign 4 to each pad, unless you want to get real technical then you could assign the sounds based on the velocity (how hard you hit the pads, which I find would be kind of difficult with AKAI pads).

Yeah the MPK49 a very respectable controller...it's like $350 in America usually (if new) I don't know the conversion rate though :/

Yeah most modern controllers have pads now. Both the M-Audio Axiom and Akai MPK series all have pads for all sizes. Novation all makes controllers with pads and sliders in various sizes (I am not sure price or names of these though).

Your best bet is find a place you can play with them and see what you like.

EDIT:You can get some 25 key (i think thats the size) keyboards but you need to makes sure that you can do less than 49 before you get one with less than 49.
Quote by FireHawk
First with that MPD (I have an older version of it)...you can assign 4 to each pad, unless you want to get real technical then you could assign the sounds based on the velocity (how hard you hit the pads, which I find would be kind of difficult with AKAI pads).

Yeah the MPK49 a very respectable controller...it's like $350 in America usually (if new) I don't know the conversion rate though :/

Yeah most modern controllers have pads now. Both the M-Audio Axiom and Akai MPK series all have pads for all sizes. Novation all makes controllers with pads and sliders in various sizes (I am not sure price or names of these though).

Your best bet is find a place you can play with them and see what you like.

EDIT:You can get some 25 key (i think thats the size) keyboards but you need to makes sure that you can do less than 49 before you get one with less than 49.

Okay, thanks! So basically, if I want to use the pads, which I will, It'd be wiser to get an M-Audio Axiom Controller instead of an Akai?

Quote by slash_GNR666

Quote by coco-loco
Okay, thanks! So basically, if I want to use the pads, which I will, It'd be wiser to get an M-Audio Axiom Controller instead of an Akai?

Not necessarily. I don't know how the newer pads are on the Akai products. Also a user above with an Axiom said that some people have reliability problems.