Hey what's up guys!
Just a question about temperature and playing bas with fingers.
Do you guys find it hard to play a difficult bass line when its cold with you fingers?
Today I had a small gig and it was FREEZING outside and we had to play New Born by Muse (seriously go look at the bass line on YouTube) and my hands locked up so badly that my bass line was horrible, I was pretty shut down.

Well UG what do you reckon, and what's your experiences?
I know exactly what you mean. Short of wearing a pair of Isotoner gloves, I don't know how you can avoid it. Try not to schedule outdoor gigs in cold weather.
"Maybe this world is another planet's hell?" - Aldous Huxley
use pick if it's an emergency.
Easier to use wrist than fingers while the hand is freezing cold.
Better to keep up with he tempo and sound a bit different than sounding alright while off-tempo.
Quote by FatalGear41
I know exactly what you mean. Short of wearing a pair of Isotoner gloves, I don't know how you can avoid it. Try not to schedule outdoor gigs in cold weather.

Yeah I guess we should avoid bad weather gigs, maybe that's why the previous band pulled out and we replaced them. I guess I go give fingerless gloves a try, Isotoner look too fancy haha
Quote by JB95
use pick if it's an emergency.
Easier to use wrist than fingers while the hand is freezing cold.
Better to keep up with he tempo and sound a bit different than sounding alright while off-tempo.

For every other song we played I had a pick, but for New Born the picking would be insanely sketchy for me in I were to use one.
A thing what I do, when having cold fingers: Hold them under hot water until you feel pain. Not too long or you will burn yourself, haha. But it usually brings the blood to your fingers. Then start warming up, they won't turn cold again. Do it half an hour before your gig starts and it should work.
Pretty good answers guys, if I combine these three factors before a gig sounds like it wil do the trick; Fingerless gloves, Pick for most of my songs and Hot water.
warm up...ive done a lot of musicals where the auditorium was crazy freezing, just got to warm up before you play. simple as that.
My name is Greg, use it.

Sarcastic

Angry

Hopeful
Quote by bassman10101
warm up...ive done a lot of musicals where the auditorium was crazy freezing, just got to warm up before you play. simple as that.

Exactly, warm up before you go out and play the gig, foo'. It's not rocket science.
Basses:
Fender Precision Bass
Fender Jazz Bass
1967 Fender Coronado Bass II
Warwick Star Bass
Squier Precision Bass TB
I have a pair of leather gloves that I've cut at the second knuckle on all fingers for the left hand and at the very tips on the first two fingers and the whole thumb on the right hand.

for cold shows they really work wonders.
1978 Peavey T-40 -> Ampeg Micro-VR - > Ampeg SVT210AV + Ampeg SVT-15E
make sure to keep your hands warm in good gloves or your pockets till just before the show, and bring a hand warmer or hot cup of coffee with you - wrap your fingers around it whenever the singer talks to the audience between songs even if it's just 30 seconds.
Quote by Skeet UK
I just looked in my Oxford English Dictionary and under "Acoustic Guitar", there was your Avatar and an email address!
Quote by bassman10101

An enclosed auditorium? That's hardcore bro.
I've played shows in auditoriums in winter and is no where near as cold as 6pm - 7pm outside when it is windy. Sure you could warm up your hands but they're are not going to be miraculously warm though out the whole thing.
You don't get warm from playing, moving around, from the crowd, etc? I don't think I've ever come out of a gig not sweating my arse off.
Basses:
Fender Precision Bass
Fender Jazz Bass
1967 Fender Coronado Bass II
Warwick Star Bass
Squier Precision Bass TB
Quote by consecutive e
You don't get warm from playing, moving around, from the crowd, etc? I don't think I've ever come out of a gig not sweating my arse off.

I have, it was an outdoor gig at night in January and it was about -4 C
1978 Peavey T-40 -> Ampeg Micro-VR - > Ampeg SVT210AV + Ampeg SVT-15E
yeah man i know what you mean , what time during band practice we took a break to go outside and play basketball but it was freezing out and my fingers were numb and i couldn't play anything when we got back to practice

She's so pretty in her casts
The prettiest thing I've ever seen
I only get to hold her when she's injured
I only get to kiss her where she's sore
Cover your hands in animal fat. Not only will it smell tasty to carnivorous animals, it will also probably be a decent source of fuel for any fires you might want to light, keeps the bass nice and lubricated, and keeps your hands warm.

Downside is it probably smells, and is possibly uncomfortable.
This is why I ALWAYS take a pack of handwarmers to a gig. hahaha True story.
ESP/LTD F-50
1989 Kramer Showster
Rogue RADH Acoustic
Fender CD-60 Acoustic
Washburn XB-100 4 string
Peavey Millenium AC BXP
Fender Rumble 150
Crate BV60H Head
Crate BV412 Cab
Vox AD15VT
Quote by consecutive e

THIS.

Keep a hand warmer in pocket if you really need to. Jump around. If your fingers are really making it hard to play, just make it look like your having fun! People won't judge your basslines too hard if you look like your enjoying the hell out of every second your up there.
NO NO NO NO NOTORIOUS