I'm looking to buy a pair of monitors as it's difficult to mix on these crappy logitech speakers. However I came across a few issues when i started looking that i want to ask about here:

Am i correct in thinking that i won't need to have a separate subwoofer with the 2 speakers?

What is the difference between active and passive, and which would best suit me? I use a Line 6 pod UX1.

Will I need anything to power them or do i just plug them straight in like speakers?

I'm also looking for any recommendations on cheap monitors. My budget is quite small, about £150 ($230) for a pair but hopefully i can find something good enough for what i use them for. Thanks!

- Jim

edit: Does anyone have any experience with these? http://www.gak.co.uk/en/behringer-ms-40-pair-digital-monitors/1088
Last edited by 12Jim34 at Sep 24, 2011,
It depends on the kind of music you're mixing. A sub isn't really needed, unless you're mixing electronic/hip-hop, you just won't be able to hear sub-frequencies that may build up on your instruments.

You need active speakers, unless you play on buying an amp to power the passive ones, because your UX1 can't do it.

You just plug them into the monitor outs on your interface via balanced TRS cables.

A used pair of KRK Rokit 5s are the cheapest I'd suggest going on monitors, otherwise, you're better off mixing with headphones.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
You want active for sure. If you had a much larger budget you could think about passive, but there's no way you can afford decent speakers AND a decent amp. If you buy active you get the speakers and an amp that pairs well with them. All you need then is a few cables to get from your interface to the speakers.

You do not need a sub woofer.

As already mentioned, going any cheaper than Rokit 5s is fairly pointless if you already have functioning speakers. If you can get by with your current setup for a little longer, you'll be much better off saving a bit more money.
Quote by kyle62
In your budget I'd go for the M-Audio AV40s.

If you want a good pair of Overpriced Bookshelf Speakers, the AV40s are perfect

If you want a good pair of affordable monitors speakers, the AV40s are terrible
Derpy Derp Derp Herp Derp
Quote by lockwolf
If you want a good pair of Overpriced Bookshelf Speakers, the AV40s are perfect

If you want a good pair of affordable monitors speakers, the AV40s are terrible

I mix my music on a 20 year old 130 watt Hi-Fi stereo system... works great for me. If he's looking for PROFESSIONAL mixers, the AV40's are terrible, if he's just looking for something for home mixing and a hobby, they are great...

You guys and your always needing to have the best of the best to do any kind of mixing.
Quote by ethan_hanus
I mix my music on a 20 year old 130 watt Hi-Fi stereo system... works great for me. If he's looking for PROFESSIONAL mixers, the AV40's are terrible, if he's just looking for something for home mixing and a hobby, they are great...

You guys and your always needing to have the best of the best to do any kind of mixing.

Most. Have. Best. Monitors. But. Won't. Treat. Room.
Quote by ethan_hanus

I just don't want to hear shitty mixes. Everything starts at the source. You know where my AV40s sit? On my bookshelf where they belong. I could hear the difference right away between those and the KRK Rokit 5s. Yes, HEAR! Its pretty bad when a lot of what you should be hearing isn't there then you boost the levels to get it and it becomes overbearing in your mix like what would happen with my AV40s.
Derpy Derp Derp Herp Derp
Quote by FireHawk
Most. Have. Best. Monitors. But. Won't. Treat. Room.

Dear Lord... I treat room acoustics as NEAR GOSPEL now.

I agree with what people already said -- if you're going to step up, at least get KRK Rokit 5s or maybe the Yamaha HS50Ms, because if you want better than those you're going to look at investing $1500+ into your monitors (KRK VXT series, Adams, etc.)
Ibanez AS93
Fender Marauder
Vox Pathfinder 15R
I would get a couple of active near-fields
Audio Ecstasy Productions!

Guitar/Backline Tech in the Los Angeles area and on tour!
Custom guitar pedals and cabling for stage and studio!

I set up DAWs and tweak computers to record audio. Hit me up @ audioecstasyproductions[at}gmail.com
Hey... I had just got a MF catalog in the mail over lunch break. M Audio Bx5a are on sale for $199 a pair now. They have some pretty good reviews for being entry-level monitors, it seems that just as many people would use them as KRK Rokit 5s. You might check it out. As I said, if you really want a HUGE jump in quality from these entry monitors you'll be looking at $1500/pair or more.
Ibanez AS93
Fender Marauder
Vox Pathfinder 15R
Quote by ethan_hanus

Agreed. I picked them because they're a lot more like monitors than anything else in the price range, but they're also simple and convenient.

Not everyone is necessarily going to be the next Rick Rubin, for making demos a cheap set like the M-Audios is fine. I've mixed on all sorts of crap - learning the speakers is a big part of the equation.

By the way Jim ,the Behringer ones you posted aren't bad for your needs. Our rehearsal room uses them in the 'ensuite recording rooms' (each practice space has a little studio for getting rough recordings of practices) and they seem ok.
Thanks a lot for all the replies! I'm not fully sure yet on which exactly but i'll be buying in the next few weeks
Quote by kyle62
Agreed. I picked them because they're a lot more like monitors than anything else in the price range, but they're also simple and convenient.

Not everyone is necessarily going to be the next Rick Rubin, for making demos a cheap set like the M-Audios is fine. I've mixed on all sorts of crap - learning the speakers is a big part of the equation.

Just as well cos Rick Rubin doesn't know shit and has ruined so many potentially good records with his crap.

Seriously though you are right it is about what you are used to, I have done mixes on £5 earphones that have sounded better than what I have done on monitors just because I have known how they react so well.

Jim, buy second hand if you can, buying brand new out the shop is a pretty easy way to lose a lot of money on things, let other people take the hit, I don't know what those Behringers are like but here is the frequency response for my Truths which I found to be fairly respectable;

I got them for £140 second hand on ebay and they're not bad at all, or you could probably get a pair of KRK's for a little more - I still have mine, only one shat a brick and died on me - they aren't bad but I find them a bit scooped in the midrange.
Owen - Sound Engineer - Mixing & Editing Available, PM for details.
Quote by Beefmo
Just as well cos Rick Rubin doesn't know shit and has ruined so many potentially good records with his crap.
How dare you insult the guy who produced Chocolate Salty Balls! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lnNYXgV7L-c

I'm in two minds about Rubin - much of his back catalogue is horrible, overmastered crap, but De-Loused In The Comatorium sounds amazing....

Behringer Truths are actually really very nice for the cash, I'm sure you could pick up a pair used pretty cheap.