I plugged into my first amp today that wasn't a line 6 15 watt and i was amazed with the MG100HDFX. I first tried out a fender of similar size but its distorted tone sucked balls. The MG100HDFX had such a warm distortion and even with the drive on 10 it still harsh and was easy to control. I was also really impressed by the crunch channel and was able to get a perfect smoke on the water tone instantly

I was wondering how much better is a the JCM/JVM range. Is the distortion warmer? is the clean channel better? and is it worth the extra money?

Hoping to find someone who has played both or owned both. The type of tone i want is kinda like iron maiden, joe satriani, sabbath etc.
Indescribably better, and vastly worth the extra money.
Epi Explorer
Squier Vintage Modified Tele

Dunlop Crybaby (modded)
TC Polytune
Marshall ED-1
Vexter Box of Rock
Harmonic Jerkulator (home made)
Boss CE-3
Line6 Echo Park

Modified Traynor YCV40
Fender Super Champ XD
Quote by Slash_is_a_God
Indescribably better, and vastly worth the extra money.

^^^^^^^^^^

If you want something quieter the cleans on the JC might fall short a bit but the distortion is better.
Quote by FEngHLyan

She will join the prom.

She insists to wear this lights.

I don't think so.

How can I persuade her?
Last edited by JKHC at Sep 24, 2011,
+1 to all comments so far. That moment you had when you plugged into he MG and realised how much better than your previous amp it was. That is how you will feel when/if you plug into a 'real' Marshall and compare it to the MG
Current Gear
-----------------
Washburn WI66 Pro //
Ibanez Prestige SA1260 //
Schecter C1 Blackjack //
Fernandes Ravelle Elite //
Wahburn HB35 Semi-Hollowbody
Blackstar HT40
how about a budget?

do you gig or play with a drummer much, or ever?

what guitars do you use?

and stuff like that which would lend better recommendations?
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
I'm guessing you tried out a fender frontman? Try a tube amp, you will be surprised

#2 of the Orange TH30 Clique
Gear:
Orange TH30 Head
Orange PPC410 Cab
Ibanez ART500e
Cort KX5
Almansa 434 Cedro
Another question .

What is considered the best out of the JVM and JCM range? Im looking for something with very very good warm sounding distortion but at the same time has very ambient and soft cleans.
Quote by mrbabo91
I was wondering how much better is a the JCM/JVM range. Is the distortion warmer? is the clean channel better? and is it worth the extra money
Are you serious? Comparing the higher-ranged Marshalls to the MG line is like comparing a Bugatti to a Mini Moto car.
Quote by mrbabo91
Another question .

What is considered the best out of the JVM and JCM range? Im looking for something with very very good warm sounding distortion but at the same time has very ambient and soft cleans.

how about answering the questions asked of you so this isn't the tenthousand eleventieth useless thread in GG&A?

Budget. Hoping to get one used in good condition. £300-500

It needs to be suitable for home use and playing small gigs.

Im looking for a very warm and easy to handle distortion that can achieve tones like iron maiden, judas priest, satriani, gilbert, dream theatre etc.

I use an epiphone les paul standard with super distortion pickups in the bridge and seymour duncan hotrails in the neck.

and yes it was the fender frontman
Quote by gregs1020
how about answering the questions asked of you so this isn't the tenthousand eleventieth useless thread in GG&A?

sorry ,you posted the same time as i did.
Quote by mrbabo91

Im looking for a very warm and easy to handle distortion that can achieve tones like iron maiden, judas priest, satriani, gilbert, dream theatre etc.

I use an epiphone les paul standard with super distortion pickups in the bridge and seymour duncan hotrails in the neck.

imo the best answer in your last thread was.

Quote by Dave_Mc
traynor ycv50b on thomann, most likely.

if you can stretch a bit more (i.e. you'd need a cab) laney gh50/100L

good luck and thanks for answering us.

Quote by mrbabo91
sorry ,you posted the same time as i did.

sorry bro, i had too much coffee.
Last edited by gregs1020 at Sep 24, 2011,
ceriatone jcm 800 2204
Gear:
Peavey 6505 120W Head
Ibanez Rga32 (FOR SALE)
Laney Lv412a Cab(FOR SALE)
Soon To Get::
Boss DD20
Morley Bad Horsie II
Quote by gregs1020

sorry bro, i had too much coffee.

Marshalls tend to be more common in the used market so would you know which marshall i should go for if i get the chance?
That Traynor will get you Marshall esque tones for cheap. And you can drop it out of a third floor window and all you'd need to replace are the tubes, and it'll keep working.

EDIT: That's probably just the chassis now that I re-read that xD. The speaker might sustain damage if you drop the whole combo out of the window, hahaha. My point is that they're relatively inexpensive, but are tanks, and still sound great.
Epi Explorer
Squier Vintage Modified Tele

Dunlop Crybaby (modded)
TC Polytune
Marshall ED-1
Vexter Box of Rock
Harmonic Jerkulator (home made)
Boss CE-3
Line6 Echo Park

Modified Traynor YCV40
Fender Super Champ XD
Last edited by Slash_is_a_God at Sep 24, 2011,
Used ceriatone 1974 combo with the ppimv mod.
I'm honestly not a big fan of the JVM, but in this case, it utterly destroys the MG. The MG is one of the worst amps ever made.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
On a budget of 500 pounds you might want to look at the Marshall DSL 50 or the Traynor YCV50B.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Quote by gregs1020

I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by mrbabo91

Hot Rails in the neck of a Les Paul? I thought those were single coils
Quote by Ian_the_fox
They're Single-Coil sized humbuckers (and they sound fucking amazing). They can fit with a bit of help from this: http://www.musiciansfriend.com/accessories/allparts-humbucker-to-single-coil-pickup-conversion-ring

Why would you want to use those in a Les Paul, though? That converter is to use single coil pickups, not single coil sized humbuckers.

They sound ok in a strat, because the Strat either:

A) Can't fit regular sized humbuckers
B) Will have to have the pickguard replaced
C) Will look dumb with one in it instead of single coil sized pickups

But they are far from amazing in a guitar that can use full sized humbuckers
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by MatrixClaw
Why would you want to use those in a Les Paul, though? That converter is to use single coil pickups, not single coil sized humbuckers.

You summed up what I was about to say.
Quote by MatrixClaw

i'd love to hear how it sounds. despite being kinda odd i personally have to give the guy some credit for doing something different. if that gives him a sound that others don't have then more power to him.
A JVM or JCM would rape the unholy crap out of a MG tone wise...it's not even a contest...If you think the MG sounds good...which idk how you can, then the JCM or JVM will blow your mind out the back side of your skull with tone.

Heck...My Valveking rapes it, and it's around the same price.