It seems like my voice becomes very muffled in band practice. I don't know what it could be but if its the mixer what certain knobs would I need to move in order to get a more natural sound out of it? Also i'm using an SM58 if that makes a difference.
Do you have access to any other mics? I'm really not a fan of 58's. I use a Sennheiser e835 (same price as SM58). Comparing the two side-by-side, it makes the 58 sound like singing through wet moving blankets.

If you try a Sennheiser e835/845/935/945, or even an SM57, (or even just something else that might be laying around with a different frequency response) you might have better luck.

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
Hell, even singing with the mic further away or removing the pop filter can change the response. Play around with it.
Cool thanks a lot guys! For the low cut comment is it the knob in the mixer called "Cut" or something else? Sorry I don't know anything about the mixer the guy who would mess with it left a couple weeks ago.

I'll look into those mics, how about a shure Beta 58a you think that would help me solve my problem?
Quote by crashdietep
Cool thanks a lot guys! For the low cut comment is it the knob in the mixer called "Cut" or something else? Sorry I don't know anything about the mixer the guy who would mess with it left a couple weeks ago.

I'll look into those mics, how about a shure Beta 58a you think that would help me solve my problem?

There could be a few knobs with "High" "Mid" and "Low/Bass" on them, but your mixer might not have them. I've only used a friends before. If all else fails, just twist the dials around a bit.

As for the Beta, I find there are a few more defined and detailed mics, but the Beta is good at cutting through a mix. It makes all PAss sound like the mic (i.e. it makes low-end PAs better, and high-end ones different, not worse).
Quote by Anexa
I've heard lots of really good things about the Beta 58a as well and was actually considering picking one up. The sound quality sounds really good from the samples given on the page (compared to some others I checked out).

http://www.thomann.de/gb/shure_beta_58_a.htm

Yeah, that's pretty much what it sounds like for me. A bit "dry" sounding on recordings, but it's pretty lively in person.
I recommend against the Beta 58A. In fact, the entire Shure Beta series has an extremely different frequency response than the rest of their products.
Your most likely cause is the mic, and has been suggested, I'd recommend looking into a Sennheiser e935.
As far as temporarily, cut the lows out of your voice on the mixer, sing about 1-2 inches away from the mic than you normally would, and as a last resort, increase the treble by about 3dB. Around 4-6k if you have the option on your mixer
Quote by sporkman7
so what wierd things can u guys do? no not like laser vision or meat vision or something, but like random stuff that usually comes in handy
We have the sennheiser e845 and I can't be heard at all. It takes a stupid amount of gain even when there is ONLY me, to be heard.

I ordered the 58A beta, it arrives today. I will compare it with the sennheiser we have currently . Regardless I have 30 days to make an exchange/return if I don't like it.

Anyway linkage to a thread all about this particular issue:
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1486038