I've been toying with the idea in my head lately of running effects between the amp and speaker. Because I've got an Orange Tiny Terror that breaks up real nice, but don't use effects to well,Anyway it all started when i saw this add on CL for an Attenuator made by Mr HO that attenuates the signal before the speaker, lets you add effects, then re amplifies it with a solid state amplifier. In theory, this is awesome. Because you can add effects to really dirty, loop-less, El84 style amps without it sounding disgusting by putting them in front, or having to mod the crap out of them to make it sound good. So its a great Idea... But the ad was asking 400 bucks. Not exactly in my price range.

The other thing i saw which caught my interest along this train of thought, was the mojoverb

MojoVerb (Tweed) (MOJOVERB-T) - Mojotone.com

MojoVerb - Mojotone.com

These are essentially the same Idea, but without the solid state re amplification, its tube instead. Its essentially a slave amp which splits off the speaker out of the amp into a tube driven reverb unit with its own 2x8 combo attached. Same Sort of idea but more natural sounding. Watch the video. It comes in two options. I personally like the tweed cause it looks better and is 100 bucks cheaper.... but still, 399.99 plus shipping and taxes...

So all these ideas are sinfully delicious, but I'm pondering two ideas.

BITMO 10-UATOR KIT - 30W ATTENUATOR PLATE 4 GUITAR AMP

Take one of these bad boys right here and use the line-out to my effects, then into a slave amp, but the big question is, Which amp do I use? Or, is there a different way to go about this? It'd be nice if i could go from the attenuator's line out to my effects, then mix it back in to the same signal path so i don't need another amp. Guess that's what the Mr Ho attenuator does.

So, long boring story over, any thoughts on slave amp suggestions or ideas on other options? does this seem like a pain in the butt so I should just buck up and mod in an FX loop? Any real feedback on these schemes at all would be great.
If you give a man a fuzz, he will fuzz for a day; if you teach a man to fuzz, he will fuzz for his lifetime...
...thank you?
If you give a man a fuzz, he will fuzz for a day; if you teach a man to fuzz, he will fuzz for his lifetime...
i would say mod in an fx loop it cant be that hard and cutting an already amped signal and re amping it dosent sound too appealing like it might mess up ur tone. the less things in the signal path the better.

they also make fx loop pedals much cheaper and u can add a tube preamp to it to make it sound even beter, if you are not comfortable modding ur amp.
Egnater Tweaker 40
Yamaha s412
Vox AC4TV
Fender Blues Jr. VIII

Fender MIM Jazzmaster
Fender MIM Telecaster
Ibanez GAX70
Ibanez VBT700
Epiphone Les Paul jr.
Gibson Les Paul 60's Tribute

Various Effects
ive thought about that, the thing is, any fx put in front of the tiny terror end up getting garbled to sh*t by the epic orange overdrive. so i guess i could mod it in... The tiny terror just has a tiny tiny circuit board that's very difficult to work with for modding apparently.
Quote by voltafan485
i would say mod in an fx loop it cant be that hard and cutting an already amped signal and re amping it dosent sound too appealing like it might mess up ur tone. the less things in the signal path the better.

they also make fx loop pedals much cheaper and u can add a tube preamp to it to make it sound even beter, if you are not comfortable modding ur amp.

The VH1 tone disagrees with you.

What you wanna do is buy an attenuator or load box with a line out. Set the attenuator to load if you go that route. Then buy a cheap stereo SS power amp that's of a decent wattage (100+ per side minimum). Run the line out into a transformer isolated splitter box and take one signal and run it through your time FX and into one side of the power amp and run the other signal dry into the other side of the power amp. Each side will need its own cab and it's kind of a PITA to set up but the result is a really massive sound.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
the mod is much more valuable if you ever resale. And the effects loop doesn't have to go before the distortion, does it? It doesn't have to go effects>preamp>poweramp. It can go preamp>effects>poweramp. I'll gladly be wrong. Good luck sir!
No it isn't. Mods rarely if ever increase the value of an amp unless they're done by a well known modder who either isn't in the business anymore, is dead or has a long wait. Any modder who tells you otherwise is full of shit.

And FX loop before distortion is pointless. It needs to go after distortion to prevent the compression and harmonic distortion from screwing up repeats on delay and reverb.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

the tiny terror circuit as a post phase inverter master volume. an fx loop has nowhere to go.
Prs se Holcomb is the answer
thats what i mean.. my thinking is that bypassing the poweramp distortion in my tiny terror (2 el84's) would give the best sounding delay and reverb possible.
Quote by sinodira
thats what i mean.. my thinking is that bypassing the poweramp distortion in my tiny terror (2 el84's) would give the best sounding delay and reverb possible.

you're missing the point of the amp then

man up and ram your effects infront of your amp, EVH does it, everyone else does it, and it works fine.
Quote by stykerwolf
you're missing the point of the amp then

man up and ram your effects infront of your amp, EVH does it, everyone else does it, and it works fine.

EVH practically invented the slave/big rack setup. He definitely doesn't run FX in front except for the Phase 90 and wah.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

He definitely brings the slave/rack rig out live. The whole point of the rack is so that it's easier to move live.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

i think i have the solution.... bitmo 10-uator 30w and an Electro Harmonix 44 magnum power amp =$200 fx loop for just about any amp 30w or less that needs one. wham bam thank you mam.