Is Ibanez RG3550mz considered as a high end guitar?

I mean quality wise, forget the vintage ultra expensive 60's stuff, just talking about the modern mass produced guitars.

-
Where would you put it on the craftsmanship and sound quality ladder?
-

(Ow, and what fret size does it have? I need numbers because I only like 6000#'s)

just looking for a shredders guitar better equipped than Charvel promod, but I need something to stay with me for many many years.
Yes it is, it's a Prestige, and as such, is one of the top few Prestiges. There are only like maybe 4-5 Ibeys considered better. Fretboard size I do not know, it is 24 fret and I think what they call jumbo frets. The neck is great, you'll love it for serious fast work. The only part about the 3550 I do not like is the basswood body. For the price I think it should be mahogany or even maybe alder or ash or ANYTHING but basswood.

http://www.ibanez.com/ElectricGuitars/model-RG3550MZ

Oh and quality, I've never seen more attention paid to the making of a guitar, it's definitely high quality. The only better from Ibey nowadays is the Customs.
Last edited by IbanezBossShred at Sep 24, 2011,
prestige ibanez are the top of the line ibanez guitars made in japan so yeah they are considered high end guitars
unlike the lower rgs they have dimarsio pups so yeah they sound great
and as far as shredding goes thats kinda what rg guitars are known for
not sure about the fret size sorry just know thye have jumbo frets

also smething people dpnt like about these guitasrs is the basswood body but its not a bad wood i find it really versatile and easy to eq your sound into it
Last edited by supersac at Sep 24, 2011,
sure

i wouldn't put it in the boutique bracket, but it's a pro quality guitar

that being said, your charvel probably is too. what's wrong with it?
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
it's an Ibanez Prestige, of course it's an amazing guitar.

They've got great pickups, a good tremolo system, and sound as good as any other $1500 guitar.

As for the fret size, I'm pretty sure they have 6100s
1978 Peavey T-40 -> Ampeg Micro-VR - > Ampeg SVT210AV + Ampeg SVT-15E
I've considered the ESP m-II but in my country its almost half more expensive than the 3550mz, but I suppose you could put these two on the same shelf (or not? )
Out of the 7 Prestiges I've owned, 7 of them have been amazing quality (Including the odd one that was Korean)
One thing I'm worried about is possible "too-bright" tone it might deliver, I'm used to playing a cheaper Ibanez right now, it's made of agathis or basswood and a rosewood fretboard

and I love the sound of it. Especially in drop tuning, I just don't know if the 3550mz will follow that tone and improve it more. (I can't bring my 5150 to the local guitar store to see if I like the tone:/ and they have nothing similar where I live ). I know I can go with 2550mz with rosewood, but I'm crazy about the maple fretboard.

Just you know.. Bolt on, basswood and maple fretboard for drop C wall-crushing with 5150? I honestly have no idea if it will work but I like the tone possibilities you can get with the middle single.
Quote by IbanezBossShred
For the price I think it should be mahogany or even maybe alder or ash or ANYTHING but basswood.

I'm just curious, what exactly is your complaint with basswood? Is it that you don't like the tone or that it's less expensive and you feel it cheapens the guitar?
Quote by IbanezBossShred
The only part about the 3550 I do not like is the basswood body. For the price I think it should be mahogany or even maybe alder or ash or ANYTHING but basswood.

Give me expensive basswood over cheap-a$$ Schecter mahogany any day.

Quality of wood >>>> Type of wood
Quote by Pac_man0123
Give me expensive basswood over cheap-a$$ Schecter mahogany any day.

Quality of wood >>>> Type of wood

This this 1000 times this
Gear:
Shecter Omen 6 with Seymour Duncan SH-6
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Fender Frontman 25r (crappy)
MXR CAE WAH
Digitech HardWire TL-2 Metal Distortion (Makes the amp sound not shitty)
Why not look at an RGA prestige? Should be darker from the mahogany body.
Fleet of MiJ Ibanez
Couple of Balls
Peavey & EVH Wolfgangs
Eclipse
Fender HM Strat
Kemper KPA
5150 III 50w & cabs
I think basswood would be a great body wood, I've read that everybody calls it a neutral tone wood, and you would be able to shape you specific sound with pickups, and not have to worry about how the pickups interact with the wood. One less thing to factor in when trying to achieve "your sound".
Caution:
This post may contain my opinion and/or inaccurate information.

Current Rig:
2006 PRS CE-24
Mesa/Boogie Mark V
Voltage S212 w/ V30's
Strymon Timeline
CMATMods Signa Drive
TC Electronics Corona & Hall of Fame
Quote by AWACS
I think basswood would be a great body wood, I've read that everybody calls it a neutral tone wood, and you would be able to shape you specific sound with pickups, and not have to worry about how the pickups interact with the wood. One less thing to factor in when trying to achieve "your sound".

Exactly. It doesn't really color your tone all that much. And it's obviously really good basswood going into prestige ibanezes
Gear:
Shecter Omen 6 with Seymour Duncan SH-6
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Fender Frontman 25r (crappy)
MXR CAE WAH
Digitech HardWire TL-2 Metal Distortion (Makes the amp sound not shitty)
To be honest, I recently bough the RG3250, and it has the maple board. But the Bridge and Neck are ridiculously warm. The middle single coil is spanky and trebly, but it's expected. It's more of a subtlety if anything. You won't notice it being too bright especially into a 5150 in Drop C, the 25.5 inch scale will feel great in Drop C also
Quote by W4RP1G
I'm just curious, what exactly is your complaint with basswood? Is it that you don't like the tone or that it's less expensive and you feel it cheapens the guitar?

I had two Ibeys with the same setup, but different body wood. One was basswood and one was mahogany. I liked the sustain of the mahogany a lot better. As for tone, it also made for a better tone for me, a little deeper. I do have two of my current three guitars that are made of basswood, but if I could, I'd change them to mahogany.
Quote by DarthV
Why not look at an RGA prestige? Should be darker from the mahogany body.

+1. See if there are any RGA's available to you.

Or even S's, for that matter.

Just make absolutely sure you like the neck of the guitar. Because that's the most important part of choosing a guitar - if it's comfortable to play. Everything else tonally can pretty much be changed in a million different ways.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by IbanezBossShred
I had two Ibeys with the same setup, but different body wood. One was basswood and one was mahogany. I liked the sustain of the mahogany a lot better. As for tone, it also made for a better tone for me, a little deeper. I do have two of my current three guitars that are made of basswood, but if I could, I'd change them to mahogany.

Ok gotcha. I like most tone woods, but it really comes down to my favorite setup which is my RG with sock pups over my Gibson and Fender. My S5470 sucks, tone-wise, but I'm about to put a Super Distortion in it, so maybe it will impress me.
Quote by MvAgusta
I've considered the ESP m-II but in my country its almost half more expensive than the 3550mz, but I suppose you could put these two on the same shelf (or not? )

yeah they'd both be in the same ballpark. i'd maybe slightly give the nod to the esp, but it's very close.

i don't think basswood is that bright. obviously if you think all superstrats are too bright, you may think so, but in and of itself it's fairly neutral-sounding.

and the rga i tried (granted, the older model with the thick maple top) was pretty bright. Not sure I'd say it's warm- or dark-sounding.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I'm a little worried about bolt-on for that price, while even 500$ cheaper guitars like hellraiser has a set-neck.

Guess a set-neck will have a little better sustain? :<
Quote by MvAgusta
I'm a little worried about bolt-on for that price, while even 500$ cheaper guitars like hellraiser has a set-neck.

Guess a set-neck will have a little better sustain? :<

Neck joint has nothing whatsoever to do with quality. As with anything, good joints are good, and bad joints are bad. Also, scientifically, a bolt on neck will have better sustain than neck through, set, or set through.

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Neck through is simply better access to the higher frets. I have my custom Warmoth Strat and it's a bolt on, and it feels better than most of my guitars. My Gibson Les Paul's set neck gives me less sustain to be honest.
Quote by Kenji20022
Neck through is simply better access to the higher frets.

This isn't necessarily true either. Really it's all about how the heel is shaped, and how deep the cutaways on the guitar are. For instance, an AANJ bolt on neck joint has way better fret access than most through or set neck builds.

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by Kenji20022
Neck through is simply better access to the higher frets. I have my custom Warmoth Strat and it's a bolt on, and it feels better than most of my guitars. My Gibson Les Paul's set neck gives me less sustain to be honest.

Not true.

Some Bolt on necks use genius joints and are so well done you couldnt tell the difference unless you looked at the bolts.

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
It's not the type of wood used, it's the quality. People around here seem to think that a guitar is better if it's mahogany and basswood makes it cheap. Yeah, a lot of cheap Ibanez's use basswood and yes, it is cheaper overall, but that means nothing. There are cheap guitars made of mahogany and expensive guitars made of basswood...

The mahogany in my S2170FB Prestige is a damn sight better than the mahogany in 300 dollar schecter or the cheap indonesian Ibanez S series guitars.

The basswood in my RG120 is a hell of a lot worse than the basswood in the RG Prestige models too. It's a better cut of wood and, as such, has better tonal qualities.

They don't pick wood based on how "nice" it is, they pick it bassed on the tonal qualities they want the guitar to have. The S series uses mahogany because they needed a heavier and darker wood to make up for the slim body shape and loss of sustain. The RG uses basswood for it's mid responses and punchiness as an RG made of mahogany would be rather dark and bassy. It makes the notes ring clearer IMO than mahogany and gives a little more attack and bite. Good wood is good wood, it's species is irrelevant. You could make a guitar out a balsa wood if you wanted, just make sure it's a good cut and it'll be fine.
Ibanez S2170FB Prestige + Crunch Lab
Ibanez RG1570MRR Prestige + Crunch Lab
Taylor 214CE
Peavey 6505MH + Orange PPC112 + TS9 + ISP Decimator + MXR 10-Band EQ

Watch and subscribe to my guitar ventures!
Search Nick Catelli on YouTube
Quote by Tom 1.0
Not true.

Some Bolt on necks use genius joints and are so well done you couldnt tell the difference unless you looked at the bolts.

Which is why I enjoy playing a good Ibanez every now and again, but I'm not nitpicky on a guitar's joint, if it's neck through that's awesome. And if it's anything else it's not much of a bother. As long as I can achieve the sound I'm searching for it's all good

And at least to me it seems like the only real difference besides jumping into the tone territory.
I read about the RG3550MZ and everyone says its got a flat fretboard - isn't that like a cheap guitars feature? I mean everyone says the neck is really comfortable but I thought it'd have something like a compound radius or I don't know.

Think I'll order it as a blind shot, thomann has the 30days return policy, shame the 2011 models doesn't have the binding, it looked pretty good.
nah radius is preference. the ibanezes have flat radii because they're aimed at shred and the like and a lot of shredders and lead players like flat fretboards.

compund radii do cost slightly more to do, as far as i'm aware, but it's not like not having one means you have a crap guitar, lol. lots of high-end guitars don't have compound radius necks.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?