Do you for the most part consider yourself as a bassist or a bass guitarist? Do you play as a low-end instrument or a melody instrument?

i.e.) mike dirnt is a bassist John entwhistle is a bass guitarist
Jason Newsted is a bassist Cliff Burton is a bass guitarist

Not saying one is better than the other just discussing.

For my part I'm a bassist with a few bass guitarist tendencies. I have no need for the spotlight but i like to play fun stuff.

What do you think you are?
Strauss!
"I am hitting my head against the walls, but the walls are giving way." - Gustav Mahler.

Quote by AeolianWolf
absolutely what will said

Yay, my first compliment!
According to what you said I'm a bass guitarist. I hate to play the same thing twice, I'm always there improvising fills and stuff like that. Also I love playing bass solos and stuff.
Six in one half dozen in the other...

They are different words for the exact same thing: a person who plays the bass.
Suhr Custom, Flaxwood Rautia or Grosh Tele thru
HBE Medicine Bawl Wah
Analogman BiComp
Texas Two Step OD
Fulltone Ultimate Octave/Fuzz
Boss CE-2
TC Nova Delay
SLO-100, 65 London or Bogner Shiva
Ask me about any of this stuff!
I'm a musician.

El oh el.
In the bass chat:

<Jon> take the quote of me out your sig plx
<Jon> i hate seeing what i said around lol

Leader of the Bass Militia PM to join!

And now on BANDCAMP!

Officially the funniest member of the Bass Forum.
i think you're over-analyzing. what you can something doesn't change what it is.
Quote by Skeet UK
I just looked in my Oxford English Dictionary and under "Acoustic Guitar", there was your Avatar and an email address!
I know that these are all just little sub-genres under the heading of people who play bass. It's just that I saw an interview with john entwhistle where he talked about this and I wanted to know what UG thought. Just wondering.
Strauss!
"I am hitting my head against the walls, but the walls are giving way." - Gustav Mahler.

Quote by AeolianWolf

Don't start this crap again.

EDIT: Here
Quote by UraniYum
Fuck you I'm trying to be caring and shit

Quote by Cb4rabid
Okay guys, I have a confession to make. Not really a confession since it's something that's been bugging me for awhile but I've always been in denial about it.

**** you gilly, it's not what you think
Last edited by gilly_90 at Sep 24, 2011,
This is like asking "Do you PLAY a bass or do you play A bass?"
You're just emphasizing different parts but essentially asking the same question and sounding rather ridiculous. (imo)
Not this shit again.
Basses:
Fender Precision Bass
Fender Jazz Bass
1967 Fender Coronado Bass II
Warwick Star Bass
Squier Precision Bass TB
I'm a bassist who is capable of being a bass guitarist. I have more fun punching out a nice rhythm than I do playing those stupid slap leads everyone tries to do, but I can certainly slap.
1978 Peavey T-40 -> Ampeg Micro-VR - > Ampeg SVT210AV + Ampeg SVT-15E
ok guys I'm sorry for starting this. I didn't know that his had been gone through before. I was just wondering.
Strauss!

Quote by AeolianWolf

Bass player = Bass guitarist

'nuff said, they're both terms with the same meaning, as far as I'm aware.

Also Mike Dirnt and Jason Newsted aren't just "hurr durr root notes" like you probably imply them to be. Go listen to "Welcome to Paradise" (not just the solo, the whole bassline is pretty prominent actually) and "My Friend of Misery".
Professional lurker since 2009.
Last edited by technoguyx at Sep 25, 2011,
According to what you say Im a bass guitarist.
However I never liked the term, it associates me with 'guitarists'. I do take the spotlight a little and do cool stuff. But I like to call myself a bassist just to seperate me from guitarists.
Me? You could call me a "lead bassist." I do a bass solo at about every one of my gigs (no slap, all 3 finger rolls). Either way you look at it, a bass is STILL a guitar. Sheesh, it's just got less strings and a lower tuning.
ESP/LTD F-50
1989 Kramer Showster
Rogue RADH Acoustic
Fender CD-60 Acoustic
Washburn XB-100 4 string
Peavey Millenium AC BXP
Fender Rumble 150
Crate BV60H Head
Crate BV412 Cab
Vox AD15VT
It's all the same, I just use whatever suits me at the time. usually I'll say I'm a bassist but the second one of my guitarist friends starts talking about how being a guitarist makes you 'sexier' then I'll pull the Bass Guitarist trick.
Quote by tofuhead
+1.

This thread is just silly.

This, I play guitar and write electronic music as well to my bass playing.
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
Oh Lawdylawdylawdy, it's this shit again.

Bass player=Bassist=Bass Guitarist=Electric Bass player

Unless when talking about an upright bass player, then only bassist and bass player apply.

One thing I can't stand is "Lead Bassist" how are you a "lead bassist?" you're still playing the bass part, unless there is another bass player playing a rhythm part (why?) then how are you doing anything "lead?".

At most of my gigs (Jazz to Punk) I'm always soloing, that doesn't change the fact that I'm a bass player, I'm not doing anything "lead". Then again, I hate it when guitar players fight over who is "lead" and who is "rhythm" like anyone in the audience cares.
Last edited by Pandawithapick at Sep 27, 2011,
See when people say "lead bassist" most of the time they're referring to playing bass solos. Sure, it's not technically a "lead" but it's played in the same way that one would be. Just a bass guy who can solo
ESP/LTD F-50
1989 Kramer Showster
Rogue RADH Acoustic
Fender CD-60 Acoustic
Washburn XB-100 4 string
Peavey Millenium AC BXP
Fender Rumble 150
Crate BV60H Head
Crate BV412 Cab
Vox AD15VT
Quote by Pandawithapick
Oh Lawdylawdylawdy, it's this shit again.

Bass player=Bassist=Bass Guitarist=Electric Bass player

Unless when talking about an upright bass player, then only bassist and bass player apply.

One thing I can't stand is "Lead Bassist" how are you a "lead bassist?" you're still playing the bass part, unless there is another bass player playing a rhythm part (why?) then how are you doing anything "lead?".

At most of my gigs (Jazz to Punk) I'm always soloing, that doesn't change the fact that I'm a bass player, I'm not doing anything "lead". Then again, I hate it when guitar players fight over who is "lead" and who is "rhythm" like anyone in the audience cares.

just because a guitar part is in a higher register doesn't make it the lead part

x
Fender Geddy Lee Jazz
Warwick Corvette $$
Rockbass Streamer Fretless
Hartke HA5000
SWR Triad

Quote by Victory2134
I happen to enjoy every mankiss from shinhoman.
Quote by housemd
this thread has a sort of desperate feel about it

Yea... please leave it at guitard don't make ba$tard a word, oh it already is
I call myself a bass player. That's only because my friend ruined the word bassist for me....
Quote by Stranglehold
That's it, you're all banned.

Quote by stevebomb
If I wanted to listen to something slow, I'd play some hippie music.
Quote by JD2k9
A bass player, because I always seem to relate Bassist to someone who discriminates against fish.

Wha-? oooooh Haha....I get it
Quote by Stranglehold
That's it, you're all banned.

Quote by stevebomb
If I wanted to listen to something slow, I'd play some hippie music.
This thread is pointless and done already. I vote for closure.
Quote by Bass First
Rump, a P-bass delivers a rump in the sound such that, similar to the rump on an African American woman, it is the highlight of the tone.
Quote by technoguyx
Bass player = Bass guitarist

'nuff said, they're both terms with the same meaning, as far as I'm aware.

Also Mike Dirnt and Jason Newsted aren't just "hurr durr root notes" like you probably imply them to be. Go listen to "Welcome to Paradise" (not just the solo, the whole bassline is pretty prominent actually) and "My Friend of Misery".

Actually, another Green Day song with a prominent bass line is J.A.R (Jason Andrew Revela).