I recently tried some Ernie Ball Skinny Top/heavy bottoms, and the short of it is I don't like them for my tuning (D Standard), as the higher strings are too floppy/too easy to bend. I think they're 9-52's. (Also, they seem kind of too slick to me, compared to my usual DAddario's.)

Anyway, I've also noticed some fret buzz on the lower 3 strings when playing lower frets. I've had a bit of this all along, but it seems worse with these strings.

If I get 12-54's for my next set, my thinking is that the extra tension might help get rid of that buzz - because it's just barely a problem now. But if not, is that something that I need to adjust with the truss rod?
Did you try raising the action at the bridge? The truss rod is for adjusting neck bow.

Quote by emad
jthm_guitarist
Warned for trolling!

Quote by metal4eva_22
Didn't you say that you had a stuffed fox that you would occasionally fuck?

Quote by Axelfox
It's not a fox,it's a wolf.
yeah if the first few frets are buzzing
then check the necks releif.

you fret the low e first Fret. at the same time,
you fret the low e last fret. where the neck and body meet.

with both places held.
look at the middle frets and see if the
string lays on them there
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
I hate ernie balls. But you shouldn't have buzz from the higher strings, they don't oscillate as heavily as the lower strings. Usually, I gauge my action on the high strings by whether or not the note dies when I bend.
Quote by jj1565
yeah if the first few frets are buzzing
then check the necks releif.

you fret the low e first Fret. at the same time,
you fret the low e last fret. where the neck and body meet.

with both places held.
look at the middle frets and see if the
string lays on them there

When I do that, the string does not lay on the middle frets, but there's not a lot of clearance left. Maybe just a slight raise of the bridge on that side? Or do I have to raise the whole thing?

I took the guitar in a few years ago and had a tech lower the action for me, I'm hoping I don't have to raise it too much, because I like it right where it's at, lol.

I might just try some heavier strings first to see if that flexes the neck enough to get rid of the problem. Can't stand the Ernie Balls right now...
from what you stated you need to adjust your neck relif and then see if your gettin fret buzz still.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
I strongly suspect you dislike the strings not because of the brand but because you went to lighter gauge. The too slick feeling is a combination of new strings and lighter gauge. (by the way you can get rid of that awful slick feeling by eating a couple of jelly donuts while you are playing)

Going back to heavier strings that will better suit your set up and tuning seems to be the most logical course of action.
I'm the only player to be sponsered by 7 guitar companies not to use their products.
Quote by KailM
When I do that, the string does not lay on the middle frets, but there's not a lot of clearance left. Maybe just a slight raise of the bridge on that side? Or do I have to raise the whole thing?

I took the guitar in a few years ago and had a tech lower the action for me, I'm hoping I don't have to raise it too much, because I like it right where it's at, lol.

I might just try some heavier strings first to see if that flexes the neck enough to get rid of the problem. Can't stand the Ernie Balls right now...

if say, you can only fit a thin pick in the middle relief.

then yes adding a little relief by either turning the truss
rod 1/4 turn Counter Clockwise (not forcing the turn)
then letting it settle in tune.

or

by swapping one string at a time, for the slightly heavier gauge that you
might like better. should add enough relief at the middle to eliminate
fret buzz at the top few frets.

two things to note,

raising the bridge won't get rid of buzz that's at the top of the board.

and

buzz that does not transmit thru the amp is generally not considered
a problem.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Quote by BlackbirdPie
I strongly suspect you dislike the strings not because of the brand but because you went to lighter gauge. The too slick feeling is a combination of new strings and lighter gauge. (by the way you can get rid of that awful slick feeling by eating a couple of jelly donuts while you are playing)

Going back to heavier strings that will better suit your set up and tuning seems to be the most logical course of action.

Yeah, it's not the brand that bothers me; the tone of the strings is just fine. It's definitely the guage and slickness that I don't like. DAddario's seem to have a little more "grip" to them which is nice when sliding up and down the neck quickly - helps me stay a little more precise.
Quote by KailM
Yeah, it's not the brand that bothers me; the tone of the strings is just fine. It's definitely the guage and slickness that I don't like. DAddario's seem to have a little more "grip" to them which is nice when sliding up and down the neck quickly - helps me stay a little more precise.

ok
not trying to be a pain, but,
if you want me to keep coming back to your thread, then read and respond to
my posts.

if not, it's cool, but then know that i'm done.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

Quote by jj1565
ok
not trying to be a pain, but,
if you want me to keep coming back to your thread, then read and respond to
my posts.

if not, it's cool, but then know that i'm done.

Lol, what??? I actually just had a post in response to yours and then the Internet froze up.

I definitely could not fit my 1.0mm pick in between the 12th fret and the string - not even close.

I think I'm going to follow your second suggestion first, since I know I want heavier strings anyway. Then, if that doesn't fix it, I'll adjust the truss rod.

But just so I'm 100% clear on what I'm doing with the truss rod - if I turn it counterclockwise, am I decreasing the tension on the neck, allowing the string's tension to bow the neck a little more?

Thank you for pointing out that the bridge adjustment would not help this situation - it actually makes a lot of sense. And as for the buzz heard through the amp - yes, I can hear it on my cleans, and it's possibly coloring my tone on overdrive as well - so it's definitely something I want to address.

Thanks for all your advice.
Quote by KailM
Lol, what??? I actually just had a post in response to yours and then the Internet froze up.

I definitely could not fit my 1.0mm pick in between the 12th fret and the string - not even close.

I think I'm going to follow your second suggestion first, since I know I want heavier strings anyway. Then, if that doesn't fix it, I'll adjust the truss rod.

But just so I'm 100% clear on what I'm doing with the truss rod - if I turn it counterclockwise, am I decreasing the tension on the neck, allowing the string's tension to bow the neck a little more?

Thank you for pointing out that the bridge adjustment would not help this situation - it actually makes a lot of sense. And as for the buzz heard through the amp - yes, I can hear it on my cleans, and it's possibly coloring my tone on overdrive as well - so it's definitely something I want to address.

Thanks for all your advice.

ok thanks for posting back and clearing that up.

you'd be surprised how many guys have me type all this up,
just to lose interest and leave me hanging haha

well, a 1 mm pick which is a heavy medium pick, is about a medium-max amount of relief.

some guitars in standard tune, with 10s gauge strings can be played
buzz free with less relief than that.

on the same note, some guitars can play buzz free with a pin straight neck.

BUT, when you start dealing with heavier gauge strings and possible alternate tunings.
adding a little extra relief can help you get the room you need at the middle of the board, so you don't have to raise the action at the bridge.
(which as we mentioned
wouldnt work here anyway)

you know you're getting into the TOO MUCH relief realm when a credit card can fit in the middle gap.

again all guitars will play differently, and it's possible that the cuts in the nut are a little worn from the larger strings and the strings are now sitting a little lower.

(a micro shim under the nut would fix that)

but if you want to try the heavier gauge first, then do that.

swap one string at a time, see if that helps.

if not then post back and we can measure the nut cuts.

JEn
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62