I'm going along with the ideas behind some books and even the game Spore, that evolution goes along certain tracks and the most adaptable passes different stages, developing until the means of interstellar travel is found. Now aren't we at a stage globally where everyone is in trouble with one thing or another. We aren't quite at the stage of interstellar yet but we had reached the moon even before our recent technological boom. Can't we crack on building an orbiting construction rig, a habitated area on the moon and whatever else we should of done by now to establish a foothold outside of this planet before we get to wrapped up in money issues which is just something we made up anyway, such a silly reason to halt advancement in any area and if we stop evolving and die out because of it I won't be happy. At the moment it feels like we're surviving but no longer going anywhere.

Who doesn't want to go into space? Don't you think working towards anything like this as a species wouldn't give us more contentment even in our normal day to day lifes, a common goal?
What the atmosphereless, mineralless fuck would we do with a moon colony

[IN PHIL WE TRUST]

Quote by Trowzaa
I only play bots. Bots never abandon me. (´・ω・`)

i want to go to the moon. and chill and listen to floyd. dont see why any amount of people would want to finance it though.
"The man that hath no music in himself, nor is not moved with concord of sweet sounds, is fit for treasons, stratagems, and spoils. The motions of his spirit are dull as night, and his affections dark as Erebus. Let no such man be trusted."
It's not that we're "not progressing or not going anywhere." It's that we've progressed so much technologically in the last hundred years at such a rapid rate that we never had time to wrap our heads around it, and now that it's slowing down, it feels like a standstill.

That said, technological and scientific advances aren't the only sort of progress people need to be concerned about making. We can't even treat our microwave properly, let alone another person for the most part, and we're talking about colonizing another planet or the moon?

Laughable at best.
Do you feel warm within your cage?

And have you figured out yet -

Life goes by?
Quote by Hydra150
There's a dick on Earth, too
It's you
well richard branson might have something like that in mind. it seems like an eventual step for virgin galactic.

and where are you learning about evolution: halo novels?
Lol evolution has nothing to do with going to the moon. Essentially we aren't going to the moon because

1. It sucks. Why would you want to go to a place without an environment you can actually breathe in?
2. The world is broke-ass poor.
3. Seriously? "Learning" from Spore? That game sucked.
Honk
Quote by UL tomas
if we stop evolving and die out because of it I won't be happy.

i dub thee... Captain Obvious!
"The man that hath no music in himself, nor is not moved with concord of sweet sounds, is fit for treasons, stratagems, and spoils. The motions of his spirit are dull as night, and his affections dark as Erebus. Let no such man be trusted."
Quote by SteveHouse

Ice. Lots of ice to combat global warming.
You've got way too much time on your hands.
You should find a hobby, or improve your grammar: both would be a great benefit to you.
I hope it doesn't seem, like I'm young, foolish, and green.
Let me in for a minute, you're not my life but I want you in it

O Dayya, te echaré de menos, siempre

Y siempre
Y para siempre
Quote by Mukersman
Lol evolution has nothing to do with going to the moon. Essentially we aren't going to the moon because

1. It sucks. Why would you want to go to a place without an environment you can actually breathe in?
2. The world is broke-ass poor.
3. Seriously? "Learning" from Spore? That game sucked.

They wanna mine shit
Quote by Ssargentslayer
They wanna mine shit

Too bad the moon is either a bountiful mineral trove or a barren old hag of a moon.

The most likely being the latter.
Quote by UntilISleep
You have excellent taste in literature, dear sir

Quote by Primus2112
You have excellent taste in video games, good sir.

Quote by GbAdimDb5m7
You have terrible taste in signatures, idiotic sir.

kkoo
Look, I didn't have to read that to know it didn't make sense. I support space travel, and even then, I admit the only three purposes for colonizing the moon would be:

1. Tourist trap
2. To say we can
3. Help with overpopulation. If we have cheap enough space travel to maintain a moon colony, we can put cheap housing on it.

As it is though, our better bet would be developing the technology(If we could go from low-earth orbit being the most advanced engines we had to moon craft in less than ten years, we can make an engine that can go to the red planet in reasonable time) to go to Mars in a reasonable timeframe, set up a base there, and use the fact that it's roughly earth's size, actually has an atmosphere, has minerals, and in-general is an earth that got beaten up badly, to make it habitable, profitable, and to again help with overpopulation.

Plus if we can make Mars hospitable, that means we need a spaceport there. We get a spaceport there, it extends our viable range. The moon is the first step in my mind. Mars is what the current goal should be. That, and in-orbit space stations for research purposes.
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 73-78
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 2-0
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 24-7
Quote by necrosis1193
Look, I didn't have to read that to know it didn't make sense. I support space travel, and even then, I admit the only three purposes for colonizing the moon would be:

1. Tourist trap
2. To say we can
3. Help with overpopulation. If we have cheap enough space travel to maintain a moon colony, we can put cheap housing on it.

As it is though, our better bet would be developing the technology(If we could go from low-earth orbit being the most advanced engines we had to moon craft in less than ten years, we can make an engine that can go to the red planet in reasonable time) to go to Mars in a reasonable timeframe, set up a base there, and use the fact that it's roughly earth's size, actually has an atmosphere, has minerals, and in-general is an earth that got beaten up badly, to make it habitable, profitable, and to again help with overpopulation.

Plus if we can make Mars hospitable, that means we need a spaceport there. We get a spaceport there, it extends our viable range. The moon is the first step in my mind. Mars is what the current goal should be. That, and in-orbit space stations for research purposes.

I agree with this.
Quote by izbbass
Too bad the moon is either a bountiful mineral trove or a barren old hag of a moon.

The most likely being the latter.

See here
Quote by SteveHouse

amusement park/tourist attraction
Quote by Ninja Vampirate
9/11 was an inside job

Ron Paul
I hope it doesn't seem, like I'm young, foolish, and green.
Let me in for a minute, you're not my life but I want you in it

O Dayya, te echaré de menos, siempre

Y siempre
Y para siempre
Space, the final frontier, bro. It's always been man's dream - to ride the cosmic waves like the Silver Surfer. But first we must establish Zenn La. On the moon, bitches. I'm in.
Quote by denizenz
I'll logic you right in the thyroid.

Art & Lutherie
We've never even made it on the moon, so who says we could get there in the first place?
“Just to sum up: I would do various things very quickly.” - Donald Trump
Quote by BlackLuster
Ron Paul

Ron White.

Jack White.

Jack Bauer.

Washington DC.

Barack Obama.

Barack Obama killed Osama.

Osama Bin Laden.

9/11.

Ron Paul did 9/11.

Quote by FireHawk
my dick andvcnaid cgo to yuour fuacking moono
~!

Yhea!

[IN PHIL WE TRUST]

Quote by Trowzaa
I only play bots. Bots never abandon me. (´・ω・`)

No, we are advancing. The next step is for space travel to become a normal thing. We're not going to need NASA anymore. Private companies are taking the stand. Soon there will be multiple companies that will battle against each other for the best technology to go to space. And it will soon become a public form of transportation. Go to anywhere you want in the world within 30 minutes.

And one day, who knows? Maybe space travel open for the public. Now you can live in US, and go to work to London and just go back and forth with your own private space craft.

But sadly, this won't happen in our lifetime.
Quote by progdude93
my fetish is dudes with dicks small enough to pee on their own sacks.
Quote by Jostry
But sadly, this won't happen in our lifetime.

You never know - tell people in 1945 that in less than twenty-five years, we'd be on the moon, they'd probably assume you're some half-crazy sci-fi writer.

dude, I'm high as balls right now, and I couldn't even read your post because of that massive run on sentence at the end.
There's a cheesey joke about cheese to be made, here. And a thread about cheese just above this one in the pit. I'll let someone else make it.

I'd love to go to the moon to feel special, see some nice views. I'd hate to sound a hippy, but wouldn't it be awful if a giant rock with such mystique ended up like Disneyland?
Just finished reading 2001 a space odyssey, and most of the stuff it talks about we've already got or are capable of reproducing. A shuttle to escape our atmosphere and then a transfer via spaceport lobby and duty free shopping on to another ship designed purely for the trip between the port and the moon. Simples. The moon is the ideal launch point for any manned missions in my mind for the future because of the low gravity.

Isn't space tourism a bit of a bad idea at the moment, won't they get in the way of any proper research? Just picturing all the various instruments watching out for any sign of life and just hearing "weeeee, again again" "watch me do a flip honey" "eww, who barfed"
I think that all the musicians on the planet with more than $100 million should create a new company which promotes, researches into, and eventually provides trips to the moon and beyond.

Music is for fun, not to be converted into 15 couches, 2 square-mile villa's and 17 Bugatti Veyron's.