Page 1 of 2
Okay, this has been bothering me:

Whenever people ask "What annoys you in GC or wherever?", 75% of the responses are "metalheads", as if metal guitar players in general are shit players.

Well, I'm a metal player, and when I go to a music shop to try out guitars and amps, I like to play heavy and fast riffs and high speed shredding, as that is what my music consists of (I only play my own riffs, no covers).

The problem that I have is that every 30 seconds, I end up stopping and looking around to make sure that I'm not bothering anyone, and when someone walks near, I always ask them "am I bothering you?". 99% of the time they'll say no, and some will even compliment my playing, but civilized people aren't going to straight up tell me that I suck or that my playing is annoying right to my face, and I'm sure there are other guys in the store who are certainly getting annoyed but being polite and not saying anything.

I mean, it's driving me out of my mind at this point! I can't test out the full capabilities of any guitar or amp, I can't do stuff like sweeping, tapping, or high-speed tremolo picking without worrying about looking like a douche, I've become so overly obsessed with trying not to be a "Guitar Center Metalhead" that I can't even try guitars out any more.

Maybe I should just ignore what people think, and play without worrying. What do you guys think?
Quote by Ian_the_fox

Maybe I should just ignore what people think, and play without worrying. What do you guys think?

This
"ignore what people think, and play without worrying."

You answered your own question. You go to a guitar shop to try guitars and amps that suit your style of playing and your type of music, not to please the other customers.
PSN - Boosted928
I'm willing to bet the 75% of people saying that were referring to the people who play the same riff over and over and over again at full gain and full volume.
▀■▀■▀■▀■▀■▀■▀■▀■▀■▀■▀■▀■▀■▀■▀■▀■▀■▀■▀■▀■▀■▀■▀■▀■▀■
Speaking as one who has been annoyed by metalheads in GC and other stores- and I AM a metalhead- it's not what you play or how you play it.

It's when 3+ metalheads start playing completely different things simultaneously, and all with the amps cranked. Repeatedly. For a 10+ minutes.

Then it's not shopping for the amp (or other gear) that works for you, or a display of talent- it's cacophony. It's hogging the soundscape. It's being rude.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Sep 24, 2011,
Quote by dannyalcatraz
Speaking as one who has been annoyed by metalheads in GC and other stores- and I AM a metalhead- it's not what you play or how you play it.

It's when 3+ metalheads start playing completely different things simultaneously, and all with the amps cranked. Repeatedly. For a 10+ minutes.

Then it's not shopping for the amp (or other gear) that works for you, or a display of talent- it's cacophony. It's hogging the soundscape. It's being rude.

This. And the tendency to max the treble knob and torture my ears.
Just play what you want. The whole point of going there is to test out gear. You need to make sure it will work with what you are trying to do. Most of the people in music store are bad players anyways, so you not being good doesn't matter when you are surrounded by people who equally suck, or suck more.

When I go there, I just play some random riff and try to tweak the amp eq to see how it will respond, same with guitars. I do that, I buy the gear and get the hell out of there as fast as I can.

That being said, I buy the majority of my gear online so I don't have to deal with the assholes (both the staff and customers) in my local stores.
Quote by strat0blaster
This is terrible advice. Even worse than the useless dry, sarcastic comment I made.

Quote by Cathbard
I'm too old for the Jim Morrison look now. When I was gigging I had a fine arse.
Quote by dannyalcatraz

Yeah, I generally have no problem with what people playing, but turning everything up and playing stuff that doesn't go together or playing out of tune makes me want to go on a Guitar Center killing spree.
Quote by strat0blaster
This is terrible advice. Even worse than the useless dry, sarcastic comment I made.

Quote by Cathbard
I'm too old for the Jim Morrison look now. When I was gigging I had a fine arse.
Test it out to its full ability, play whatever you want, and if you need to crank it up in order for the amp to peak, I don't see a problem with it.

That is, unless you play badly...

You don't have to be able to play amazingly, just adeptly enough to make sure you're intonated and adequate for what you try.
i cant stand going to guitar center, not because of metal heads or people playing out of tune but because half the time i know more than the staff and all they do is try to sell me a brand name.

but to answer the ts' question who cares man be yourself haters are gonna hate and there is nothing you can do about it.
Egnater Tweaker 40
Yamaha s412
Vox AC4TV
Fender Blues Jr. VIII

Fender MIM Jazzmaster
Fender MIM Telecaster
Ibanez GAX70
Ibanez VBT700
Epiphone Les Paul jr.
Gibson Les Paul 60's Tribute

Various Effects
The point of having gear to try is to try it. No point in attempting to test out a Schecter Hellraiser or Dean Razorback with Jazz, Blues or god forbid the stale Hendrix, Deep Purple, Zeppelin riffs if that's not what you're going to use it for.

If anything I'm excited when I hear people play hard rock or metal in my local music shop. They should have sound dampening rooms, and if they do, they have them for a reason. If you're really bothering people, the shop owners will tell you. When I go in to test gear, I play at a pretty loud (louder than I can in my own apartment) but reasonably safe volume. The amps are all conveniently all underneath the guitars, so it's hard NOT to get in somebody's way while playing Lamb of God or something. Never had a complaint, though.

My only worry when I go to the shop is to try not to suck if I'm trying an instrument out in public. lol
mmmmmmhmmm

That's exactly what I've been trying to say.

Quote by munkymanmatt
brilliant
i have the exact same reservations about testing out gear (and I just spent several months rigorously testing 100 watt heads...). i found its easiest to just play and not worry about it. if you're really bugging people, they'll let you know. if you're sort of bugging people (turns out, people in edmonton didn't like hearing me play jazz progressions), the staff will let you know with a "hey buddy ______" sort of line
…I can't do stuff like sweeping, tapping, or high-speed tremolo picking without worrying about looking like a douche…

Guitar Center and Sam Ash are stores for kids who want to noodle, so don’t worry about it. Just stay away from the nice little stores full of archtops.
its fine that you dont want to bother anyone else. i usally keep the volume relatively low cause i know how annoying it is when a sales dude is walking around talking to people or on the phone with some guy playing a bit to loud.
Quote by kangaxxter
The only real answer to the SG vs Les Paul debate is to get a Flying V and laugh at all the suckers who don't have one.

Quote by Blompcube

if you embrace inaccurate intonation it can be quite arousing.

I <3 TWEED
I admit that for years I've showed up at guitar center on and off just to have fun playing on equipment I don't own and do not intend to buy (no, not to show off, although almost every time I go there I do end up getting a person or two walking up to me, complimenting my playing, and asking me questions; I generally find it annoying and the questions tend to be stupid).

The employees there have never complained, and in fact I'm basically welcome to come there and play until it closes and I know the employees well enough. But I've never particularly cranked the amps up particularly loud (when not in a closed room area) out of respect for the fact that customers and employees are trying to communicate, and because it simply is not necessary.

What I've sometimes found annoying is more the fact that there are 3 or 4 guitar players in the same room off in their own worlds, with what they are playing clashing horribly. I usually try to jam with them from across the room (by adapting myself to whatever they are playing) and they rarely notice - or they clearly feel like I'm competing with them and try to go nuts, but I just wanted to jam, not to show off or try to outdo somebody.
Last edited by Brainpolice2 at Sep 25, 2011,
Quote by Ian_the_fox

It's a goddamn store. I don't care that you're playing metal or whatever you're playing. Volume is what bugs me - you don't need to turn up that 100W halfstack to nine inside a store. Especially when it's solid-state.

You're buying it, you deserve to play what you'll play through it. But keep it reasonable volume-wise - if you have to wonder if it's too loud, it is.
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 50-54
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 0-0
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 0-0
Again, it's not that some dude has pegged the amp- if that's what he needs to do to find out if the amp will do what he needs it for, that's cool- it's playing it at max volume in the small, enclosed space of a store for 30 minutes.

In 5 minutes or less, you've probably figured out it packs the punch you want, so buy it. The other 25 minutes of axe wankery just means that other patrons cannot figure out if what they're trying out meets their needs. It's just a question of manners.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
i just hate those guys that are there with their guitar playing friend and turns all the knobs all the way up before they leave......
Quote by kangaxxter
The only real answer to the SG vs Les Paul debate is to get a Flying V and laugh at all the suckers who don't have one.

Quote by Blompcube

if you embrace inaccurate intonation it can be quite arousing.

I <3 TWEED
Old strings, nothing in tune, and homos telling you what to play so they can jam with you.
Yamaha FG700S
LTD EC-1000 MGO
Agile 3k
Laney Cub 15w Head with 2x12 cab
Vox VT 20+
Quote by Brainpolice2
I admit that for years I've showed up at guitar center on and off just to have fun playing on equipment I don't own and do not intend to buy (no, not to show off, although almost every time I go there I do end up getting a person or two walking up to me, complimenting my playing, and asking me questions; I generally find it annoying and the questions tend to be stupid).

The employees there have never complained, and in fact I'm basically welcome to come there and play until it closes and I know the employees well enough. But I've never particularly cranked the amps up particularly loud (when not in a closed room area) out of respect for the fact that customers and employees are trying to communicate, and because it simply is not necessary.

What I've sometimes found annoying is more the fact that there are 3 or 4 guitar players in the same room off in their own worlds, with what they are playing clashing horribly. I usually try to jam with them from across the room (by adapting myself to whatever they are playing) and they rarely notice - or they clearly feel like I'm competing with them and try to go nuts, but I just wanted to jam, not to show off or try to outdo somebody.

Like this guy
Yamaha FG700S
LTD EC-1000 MGO
Agile 3k
Laney Cub 15w Head with 2x12 cab
Vox VT 20+
I'm annoyed by people that go to GC to just jam, as if they don't own a guitar of their own so they need to use GC to get some playing in. I don't know if they are just trying to show off or are trying to kill time, but people are there to test gear they are considering buying, so they should get out of the way.
Do you actually think people notice you? You're just another guy at a GC... Sorry to burst your ego bubble.
Quote by Ian_the_fox
, I've become so overly obsessed with trying not to be a "Guitar Center Metalhead" that I can't even try guitars out any more.

I can completely relate to that.

There's a huge difference between the pretentious, arrogant snob that sits there playing loud to show off, and the modest, polite guitarist that just wants to test their style of playing on a guitar. Most people can tell the difference just by looking at how the person presents himself.

Good example: One time, while waiting in line at GC, a busload of hispters on tour came into the store (rhyme totally unintended). So I thought, "Eh, they're hipsters. Big deal. They're probably on tour and need some new strings or picks or something..." Nope. They ran around like 10 year olds on a sugar fix, banging on the keyboards, screaming, smashing the hell out of the drums, and making some horrible noises on the guitars. It was downright dreadful and embarrassing to be there. There was an elderly man in line behind me that looked like he wanted to get out of there ASAP, so I let him go in front of me in line. Just as I did, one of the hipsters cut in front of both of us and dragged the associate out to have him bundle up a bunch of stuff they wanted to buy. We just stood there, dumbfounded and angry.

tl;dr: Hipsters ran into GC and royally pissed me off so I'm venting on UG even though nobody cares
Quote by cbara
Do you actually think people notice you? You're just another guy at a GC... Sorry to burst your ego bubble.

A lot of people get nervous and sometimes paranoid in public, and it has nothing to do with an ego. Similar to what I said in my above post, there's a difference between thinking people notice you because of a huge self-image, or being concerned that you might be annoying someone.
Quote by Ian_the_fox
Okay, this has been bothering me..
.. What do you guys think?

I think you should stop giving a crap. You go there for your benefit, people have told you you're not bothering anyone. Until you are, play 'til your hearts content!

Quote by CV334
tl;dr: Hipsters ran into GC and royally pissed me off so I'm venting on UG even though nobody cares

I care, bro
Quote by Idiot_Son
i went to the pub. the look on the bartenders faces when they realised theyd been serving me alcohol illegally for the past two years was priceless.

Quote by stiff-upper-lip
DoGaLog, i think youv jst owned everyone on this thread and well done.
Quote by DoGaLoG
I think you should stop giving a crap. You go there for your benefit, people have told you you're not bothering anyone. Until you are, play 'til your hearts content!

I care, bro

its because every time i go into a store like that, you have people on line 6 amps with a guitar they cant afford plugged through a POD with aweful modelling try to shred a song theyjust learned and cant play...like crazy rain.

you know what? i have spent 2 hours in a GC testing guitar effects and only played 1 A bar chord.

cause i dont care about the guitar or the amps. i onyl care about the effects, and whil playing why not just keep stuff as controlled a possible. i care about the effect, nothing else.

so when i play through a boss sper chorus and then a chorus ensemble, i only want to hear what the knobs do, nothing else. so only 1 chord is needed really.

i people think i suck cause i only can play 1 chord, well i dont care. i dont know that guy. In fact you look more rediculous trying to shred testing a chorus pedal than you do testing it with only 1 chord.
Quote by Ian_the_fox

Just make sure to establish a relationship with one of the sales guys who is working. Ask him to get a guitar down for you and let him know you're gonna be demo'ing it out playing some pretty heavy stuff. As long as you are maintaining a vocal relationship with one of the sales guys you'll be fine.

In any case, you sound like you are smart enough to know the difference between jamming at GC for hours and honestly trying to get an idea for how gear sounds ; you shouldn't worry you're fine!
i think it's no big deal and most people aren't really paying attention. i agree it can be a bit unnerving when people stare as it is often hard to tell whether they are impressed or disgusted. i was in just the other day playing a LP (i'm much more of a strat guy and don't play as well on gibsons) this metal kid was on the other side of the partition playing some chuggy metal riffs suddenly he stopped and came round to my side and after a minute or two goes "whoa dude you're shredding big time" i didn't really think i was but i just looked up and said "umm.... ok". a few minutes later i was playing some jazz style licks on the clean channel and had an older guy checking my playing out. i guess i must have been playing ok but i still wondered if that was the case. human nature.
Quote by monwobobbo
i think it's no big deal and most people aren't really paying attention. i agree it can be a bit unnerving when people stare as it is often hard to tell whether they are impressed or disgusted. i was in just the other day playing a LP (i'm much more of a strat guy and don't play as well on gibsons) this metal kid was on the other side of the partition playing some chuggy metal riffs suddenly he stopped and came round to my side and after a minute or two goes "whoa dude you're shredding big time" i didn't really think i was but i just looked up and said "umm.... ok". a few minutes later i was playing some jazz style licks on the clean channel and had an older guy checking my playing out. i guess i must have been playing ok but i still wondered if that was the case. human nature.

I've realized that many people in GC are either beginners or only know a few riffs someone taught them. So when just plays and plays well, they are impressed.

I personally think I suck at the guitar, but I've only met a few people in my life better than me, so maybe I'm better than I realize?

nah, I probably suck, the better players are just off playing with their bands or recording youtube videos while I'm at Guitar Center
Quote by W4RP1G
I've realized that many people in GC are either beginners or only know a few riffs someone taught them. So when just plays and plays well, they are impressed.

I personally think I suck at the guitar, but I've only met a few people in my life better than me, so maybe I'm better than I realize?

nah, I probably suck, the better players are just off playing with their bands or recording youtube videos while I'm at Guitar Center

most players think they suck (and the ones who tell you how great they are rarely are). i've always been of the opinion that if i can play it it can't be hard. around here there are plenty of talented guitar players that show up at guitar center so you do have to be on your toes sometimes.
GCs have "quiet rooms" which are soundproofed. Go inside there and play. But seriously, it doesn't really annoy anyone. What I find is annoying is the guy that sits there and plays blues on the amp you want to try for 1 hour!!!!!! And the GC employees can't do anything about it.
Quote by FEngHLyan

She will join the prom.

She insists to wear this lights.

I don't think so.

How can I persuade her?
Ive been asked to turn down the amp every time I play at Music Centre Canada, but Axe Music (a building I soundproofed) have never had an issue. Music centre is always full of little kids and you play some metal licks and get very dirty looks from the parents. Like your supposed to play kumbaya or something
if your not being a dick, and are being consideratre of others, by playing at reasonable volumes and such and all then it doesnt matter, atleast not to me.

like i play in a local metsal band and all, and thats what i mostly play, but the metal head steriotype is those kids who go in there, scoop the mids to 0 and blast a spider amp playing god aweful covers of good songs (atleast in my mind)

do you scoop mids to 0?
do you only wear black and band t shirts?
do all your non metal friends say you really need a haircut?

if you answered no to all of these then i think youre good
Like this guy

I don't tell people what to play. Never. I simply adapt myself to what they *are* playing and see if they even notice and interact musically. If they don't notice, I think that sucks. If they do notice and act intimidated instead of actually having fun, I think they're being lame.
Quote by W4RP1G
I'm annoyed by people that go to GC to just jam, as if they don't own a guitar of their own so they need to use GC to get some playing in. I don't know if they are just trying to show off or are trying to kill time, but people are there to test gear they are considering buying, so they should get out of the way.

Since there's no one else at the moment trying any of the equipment I am or desiring to do so, I have no one to get out of the way for. I don't need the place to get some playing in, but it certainly is nice to play on other guitars and amps. The employees there simply don't care, as I'm generally not super loud. They know who I am and have never once asked me to stop playing. Once in a while someone else wants to check out the stuff I'm currently playing through, and I gladly yield it over to them.
Quote by Brainpolice2
Since there's no one else at the moment trying any of the equipment I am or desiring to do so, I have no one to get out of the way for. I don't need the place to get some playing in, but it certainly is nice to play on other guitars and amps. The employees there simply don't care, as I'm generally not super loud. They know who I am and have never once asked me to stop playing. Once in a while someone else wants to check out the stuff I'm currently playing through, and I gladly yield it over to them.

me to. i really enjoy trying out different guitars, amps and fx. honestly where else would you get that opportunity? the last guitar i bought was a Squier Esprit. at the time i never even heard of it so i wouldn't have been looking for one. played it just for the hell of it and loved it so much i bought it right then and there. this wouldn't have happened if i didn't go in and just try stuff.

i always try to keep it cool myself. if a sales person is on a phone that is nearby or talking to a customer i turn it down or stop playing. i've been told more than once that i can turn up if i want to . as long as it isn't stupid loud i think that a music store kind of likes to have good players playing when customers come in. unfortunately it seems the loudest guys tend to be the worst players.
Last edited by monwobobbo at Sep 25, 2011,
Page 1 of 2