Im looking to start performing solo somewhere, anywhere. Just performing some covers and making a little cash on the side... Ive got a fantastic sounding Taylor 210e and im building a setlist, but im having a little trouble figuring out amlpification. Ive seen artists use PA's, but im wondering if I shouldn't be investing my money on an acoustic amplifier. What kind of amplification would i need to play small venues?
Well you've already got a pickup in your guitar (I'm guessing).

You have a couple of choices:

1. A PA. Plug the guitar and vocals into it.

2. An acoustic amp. Ideally one that accepts both guitar and vocal inputs simultaneously, plug both into it.

The only real difference between the two is that the PA will be able to play bigger venues, and will also have a better sound to it (consider the difference between two loud speakers out the front vs a small speaker sitting next to you). Of course the acoustic amp will be more portable as well.

Edit: I'd personally opt for a PA as you can expand it as time goes on. Have a look out for good second hand sets - there's heaps out there.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Thanks a lot. you make a very good point with the two loud speakers. I guess my mind was just being stubborn