So about 2 months ago I got a prs se semi-hollow custom and it's the sex. I love the sound, feel, action pretty much everything...except........the dadgum tuners! I keep going flat after 3 mins of playing (in drop D...about 5 mins in standard E) it's becoming blasted annoying. So after reading around I've found the grover 406c mini locking rotomatic is a direct fit. So my plan is to buy some black ones (I think the black ones would give my guitar a cool, $2000 prs custom look) so
A: would buying these tuners fix my problem of going flat
B: who thinks the black would look really cool?
C: are the mini locking rotomatics like the fender locking where you press a button to lock or are they automatic locking?
D: has anyone done this with some good or bad results?
E: If you don't like the grovers or think there is a better choice what is it? (must be a direct fit...no modding required)

thanks
GUITARS:
PRS Semi-Hollow Custom SE

Amps:
Peavey Ranger 2x12 Twin Killer

Quote by MrFlibble
Quote by IronMaiden76
Meh. Looks like an SE to me.
Well, thanks for confirming you know absolutely nothing about PRS guitars.
I've put those tuners on a Tremonti SE. They were a direct fit, no drilling required. They're automatic, you just put the string through and start tuning, it should take a turn or two to catch the string before it starts tuning. There are other ones that are a direct fit where you need to twist a knob in the back to lock it, but I don't know what model they are (if anyone knows I'd like to know too).

There's a little debate on how much locking tuners affect tuning stability but in my experience it did seem to hold tuning much better after I put the locking tuners on. Before I put them on I would lose tuning often in short jam sessions. Afterward it held tuning much better, I could jam, put the guitar away for a day, and then pick it up again it would be in tune.

And I agree, black tuners look awesome

Hope this helps.
Last edited by Ghostmaker at Sep 25, 2011,
Sperzel make great locking tuners. Gotoh makes a locking tuner that is very similar to the PRS style.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
the premise is less winding = less stretching. if you wind a string 5 times around the pole, well those 5 wraps stretch too. thats why after a string change you need to break em in for about a day. sometimes more of less. depends on the job.

also, they make string changes way faster.

go with what is a direct fit. ive head good things from grover, sperzel, gotoh, and even the new planet waves