Hello. Can you help me to compare Epiphone SG G-400 and Squier S-73 (squier sg)?

The first position is Epiphone SG g-400 (made in China, 2010) with DiMarzio Super Distortion in bridge. $300.

And the second position is Squier S-73. $250.

What guitar is better of them? I have no possibility to listen them, that's why I need an advice.
squier breaks way too easily, i have a friend who has a squier and it broke in a month, epis are much better especially with tht pickup upgrade
I would say the Epi is the better guitar, the pup upgrade definitely helps too.
Current Gear
-----------------
Washburn WI66 Pro //
Ibanez Prestige SA1260 //
Schecter C1 Blackjack //
Fernandes Ravelle Elite //
Wahburn HB35 Semi-Hollowbody
Blackstar HT40
i used to have a red g-400 1966. theyre great guitars if you put in a few simple upgrades. im going to buy a silverburst one in a few weeks. the neck is a little heavy, but it being a set neck its a little better than the squire bolt-on
the G400 is actually an amazing guitar.

i'd go for that one
Belief is a beautiful armour but makes for the heaviest sword.
Neither. The G-400 is a terrible guitar, and I'm not familiar with the squire, but I'm sure it can't be much better. If you can save up a little more, you can just get a Gibson SG. I've seen them go as low as $400.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by Offworld92
Neither. The G-400 is a terrible guitar, and I'm not familiar with the squire, but I'm sure it can't be much better. If you can save up a little more, you can just get a Gibson SG. I've seen them go as low as $400.

What about it is terrible?
Quote by SimplyBen
That's the advantage of being such a distance from Yianni. I can continue to live my life without fear of stumbling upon his dark terror.

Quote by Toppscore
NakedInTheRain aka "Naked with shriveled pencil sized bacon In The Rain"
Quote by Eppicurt
What about it is terrible?

Everything about it is terrible. Most of the ones I've seen, including the one I used to own, had multiple terrible, unleveled & dead frets, the electronics are just pathetic (though that's just Epiphone for you), the finish actually fell apart on mine (little sticker things for the vol and tone knobs came off, among other things). Basically, the whole thing just tends to fall apart. It's easily the second worse guitar I've ever owned. And honestly, the issues I've seen on them are just inexcusable considering how much it costs. You'd never see anything that bad from Ibanez, for example.

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by Offworld92
Everything about it is terrible. Most of the ones I've seen, including the one I used to own, had multiple terrible, unleveled & dead frets, the electronics are just pathetic (though that's just Epiphone for you), the finish actually fell apart on mine (little sticker things for the vol and tone knobs came off, among other things). Basically, the whole thing just tends to fall apart. It's easily the second worse guitar I've ever owned. And honestly, the issues I've seen on them are just inexcusable considering how much it costs. You'd never see anything that bad from Ibanez, for example.

Well you can't generalize the entire guitar being bad because there's a few dogs out there. Every guitar has a gem or a dud in the bunch, you can't pre-pick them, you just have to look out for them. I've sold plenty of G-400's with great feedback and good response, they're good guitars for the price IMO unfortunately you just managed to get a dud. And I think if you look after them, there's no reason why they should be falling apart like you've described.

And I wouldn't agree with Ibanez being perfect all the time, not that I'm trying to bash them, I love Ibanez. I''ve seen plenty with sharp frets, knocks, bad paint and faulty electronics.
Quote by SimplyBen
That's the advantage of being such a distance from Yianni. I can continue to live my life without fear of stumbling upon his dark terror.

Quote by Toppscore
NakedInTheRain aka "Naked with shriveled pencil sized bacon In The Rain"
Quote by Offworld92

Not really, most G-400 guitars I have tried are great for the price, if you have them set upcorrectly. Just because it says Gibson doesn't mean shite I have played many Gibsons with much worse QC than my G-400 vintage. I have had people use my G-400 and actuialy hand it back in disbelif that it was the "cheap" SG and not a $1000 Gibson.

Now that said not all of them are gonna be great, but to generalize that G-400 and Squier are bad guitars is just wrong. I don't like Strats, but that doesent mean they are horrible guitars, that is my personal prefrence.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
I'm not trying to generalize. That's the last thing I want to do. But seriously, I've handled an alarming number of G-400's. I also have met many people who own these guitars who experienced the same problems I had. It's not just a couple of duds.

I shouldn't have said anything about the Squire, as I'm really not familiar with that guitar. All I was trying to say is that you can usually get a much nicer guitar by going used instead of new.

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
I used to own G-400. Played 4 years with it, no problems at all. Just set it up well and you'll have an awesome guitar. Change the pups if you don't like them, I personally didn't need to change them, got the AC/DC tune out of it with the stock ones.

Go for the Epi, just set it up and you'll be happy, I promise!
Quote by WTYD27
squier s-73

Looks like a SG wih Down syndrome.

I don't care for strats, but Tele's are frigin sweet. I just bought my old Squier Pro Tone Fat Tele back last week, it is an amazing guitar even has a bookmached 2 pice Ash body.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Robbgnarly
Looks like a SG wih Down syndrome.

It's Guild S-100 copy.

Squier S-73 crafted in Korea.
Quote by WTYD27

It's Guild S-100 copy.

Squier S-73 crafted in Korea.

Yeah my friend had an old Guild S-100 it played and sounded great, sadly it was stolen about 7-8 yrs ago.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Generally speaking, I choose from 4 variants:
1) Epi SG g-400 w/DiMarzio. $300.
2) Squier S-73. $250.
3) B.C.Rich (1986, Japan) w/DiMarzio. $300. This one:
http://i14.fastpic.ru/big/2010/1225/af/33a45fc61eaeb2d5562c8a126a65bdaf.jpg
From catalogue:
http://s2.ipicture.ru/uploads/20110301/CzzTo99j.jpg
4) Squier Strat (1996, Korea) w/ pick-ups from american strat. $200.
Last edited by WTYD27 at Sep 25, 2011,
Just throwing this out there but Gibson sg faded runs new for $700 you might be able to find one used for around your budget.
Quote by FEngHLyan

She will join the prom.

She insists to wear this lights.

I don't think so.

How can I persuade her?
Quote by JKHC
Just throwing this out there but Gibson sg faded runs new for $700 you might be able to find one used for around your budget.

Unfortunately, I'm from Russia
And no one knows something about squier s-73.
Last edited by WTYD27 at Sep 25, 2011,