Poll: Well?
Poll Options
View poll results: Well?
Brand new /change every couple of weeks or new for every gig etc.
25 13%
Really old and manky /never ever changed unless they snap (lazyness doesn't count)
23 12%
Not quite brand new, but change every so often (couple of months or so)
106 56%
Not old, but changed as soon or just before they start to rust
29 15%
None of these (please elaborate :) )
7 4%
Voters: 190.
Page 1 of 2
I was just wondering, do some people like strings that are old and rusty, and likely to tear you fingers off whenever you touch them? Or do we all like brand new shiny ones that are so slippy you can't quite get a grip of them straight away.

And i'm not talking just about how they feel either, I mean in every way. How they sound, how easy/hard they are to play, even (if you're particularly fussy) how they look?

Poll coming...
I change them when the sound gets too dark.
Quote by Gabel
You are EXTREMELY WRONG! I have played it. I own an 18W and it would be an awful stereo amp, it's way too bright, breaks up too easily and so on. Secondly, why would a guitar store sell an hifi amp.
If I had the money i'd change them every week. But I don't so I have to make do with every couple of months unless I plan to record something serious.

Also i'm not sure what you guys do with your guitars to have rust on the strings. In my many years of playing i've never had a single bit of rust. Even my shitty explorer that I never play and never changed the strings on since I bought it like 6 years ago is fine.
I only change strings when I break one, but that seems to always happen at just the right time

Quote by emad
jthm_guitarist
Warned for trolling!

Quote by metal4eva_22
Didn't you say that you had a stuffed fox that you would occasionally fuck?

Quote by Axelfox
It's not a fox,it's a wolf.
i change them when it just gets unbearable. I'd do it sooner but I'm lazy.

I just changed string on both my guitars. The old ones were probably on their about 6 months. They were so dead I couldn't take it any more.

and now it's barely been a week and they're already dull.
I leave them on until:
- They break
- The rust starts to stain my fingers, or it rusts so much sliding actually hurts
- My intonation goes haywire

I recently changed my G string because the intonation became atrocious.
Quote by maggot9779
Also i'm not sure what you guys do with your guitars to have rust on the strings. In my many years of playing i've never had a single bit of rust. Even my shitty explorer that I never play and never changed the strings on since I bought it like 6 years ago is fine.

This, wtf? I've never had rusty strings or strings that hurt to play from age or rust o.o
Quote by Zoot Allures
This, wtf? I've never had rusty strings or strings that hurt to play from age or rust o.o

Depends on how much you sweat when you play.
I have some form of hyperhydrosis that affects my hands. So no matter how cold it is, if i'm holding something my hands sweat.

This gets onto the strings and rusts them.
i buy new ones... and then only change them when one of them breaks...
Belief is a beautiful armour but makes for the heaviest sword.
Other; I play the shit out the new ones, and savor the tone until it turns into black finger strings.
╘MESHUG╦G╗AH

Ibanez ARX 350
Dunlop 535Q
Ibanez TS9
Peavey TransTube Supreme
DRIVE Elite straight 412
When they get old they start to side really dull, so I replace all my strings quite a bit to keep my guitars sounding bright.
Quote by triface
I leave them on until:
- They break
- The rust starts to stain my fingers, or it rusts so much sliding actually hurts
- My intonation goes haywire

I recently changed my G string because the intonation became atrocious.

Lol. G-string joke.
"You're not hardcore unless you live hardcore"
Broken in strings sound better to me, can't stand the sound of new strings, it's terrible.

The strings my guitar came with I kept on for a year until one broke then I changed them and have been going since, which has been about 4 months, can't see needing to change them anytime soon.

My strings don't tend to rust, so I just keep on playing until they get icky or one breaks.
Check out my lyrics! (C4C)

Critical Condition
Tombstone

Quote by SteveHouse
That's actually the point of this. Tell your inner editor to shut the fock up and just write.
My fingers don't really sweat so i usually don't need to change them very often.
¯|(°_o)/¯
I havent changed strings on one of my guitars for over a year now
Too Many Religious People And Not Enough Lions
I take them anally.
Quote by tattyreagh
He's the hero The Pit deserves but not the one it needs right now. So, we'll hunt him, because he can take it. Because he's not our hero. He's a silent guardian. A watchful protector. GbAdimDb5m7.

Free Jani92jani

Free Will Swanson
Change them every 1.5-2 weeks, any longer and i'd rage.

EDIT: the new string ring is important to my shrill n harsh tone.
People in the pit take my post way too seriously.

MyAnimeList
7-String Legion

If you have a question PM me and I will always get back to you.
Last edited by Deadlock Riff at Sep 25, 2011,
I keep them on for a good few months. I probably changed them once this year that I can think of. And it seems to me that it wears more on my fingers when they're new, because they're all crisp and whatnot. Once they get older they seem more slick softer to me.
Yea that's right, I want something to explode

I've been deaf, now I want noise

LOUD LOVE
Quote by Zoot Allures

Some people sweat enough that it corrodes the strings to form ridges and rust on the surface.
People in the pit take my post way too seriously.

MyAnimeList
7-String Legion

If you have a question PM me and I will always get back to you.
Not quite brand new, but I change them often.

I don't like waiting until they snap, 'cause after a while they start going out of tune, and sounding like crap.
Never imagine yourself not to be otherwise than what it might appear to others that what you were or might have been was not otherwise than what you had been would have appeared to them to be otherwise
I hate changing strings so I keep them on as long as possible. Usually change them after 3 months or so when one breaks or they sound really dull.
The strings on my acoustic has to my knowledge never been re-stringed. This guitar is about 2 years old or so.
sometimes I see us in a cymbal splash or in the sound of a car crash
Quote by stealstrings
Lol. G-string joke.

Actually, totally was not going for that joke, though I wouldn't put the G-string joke as beneath me.

I don't get how people don't get rust on their strings.
LOL @ playing with rusty strings....

I change them whenever they snap, break, or lose wound tightness around whatevers holding it in place which has been quite a few times actually.
Well, the strings I use sound incredible when I first put them on. They last maybe four weeks. I prefer them new. I change them about a day before a gig, just so they stretch and are less likely to go out of tune.
Quote by GoxGetterxGuy
Clean your strings guys.

I do clean them. But eventually they'll still rust because of oxidation.
My strings normally go shitty with intonation after 1-2 months so I have to change them (or re-tune every 15 mins.) That may just be my crappy squier though.
Changing strings is like changing oil in my car. I don't do it nearly as often as I should but if I had the money I'd change it all the time.
I'm rgrockr and I do not approve of this message.
Quote by GbAdimDb5m7
I take them anally.

Gear

Ibanez Premium RG870Z
Zoom Fire 15
Ibanez OD850
Boss MT2
I haven't changed the strings on my acoustic guitars for more than three years, and they still sound lovely.

Like excellent women, they've aged well.
I hate slick-feeling strings. I tried Fast Fret once and it was horrible. I like the strings to have a little bit of use just for the tacticle sensation. They usually don't get changed until they can't hold a tune.
Hi, I'm Peter
Quote by Dirk Gently
I hate slick-feeling strings. I tried Fast Fret once and it was horrible. I like the strings to have a little bit of use just for the tacticle sensation. They usually don't get changed until they can't hold a tune.

Is that that stuff that's suposed to clean 'em or something? Comes as like a brown stick thing and you wipe it all over you strings? If it is I also tried it and I thought I'd ruined my fingerboard it was that bad. Horrid stuff.
Page 1 of 2