both.
If you do something right, no one will know you've done anything at all

Proud to be called Best Friends with Pastafarian96
I don't believe in being born with a talent, I believe that if you practice enough and have a burning interest, you'll go as far as all the "geniuses".
You have to be born with a disposition, but the, for example, guitar virituoso has also to live for the instrument and practice insane amounts every day.

The common denominator among those considered progedies in their fields is practice at least three hour a day for at least ten years
Quote by intothe
I don't believe in being born with a talent, I believe that if you practice enough and have a burning interest, you'll go as far as all the "geniuses".

yet, dont you agree, that some people are born skillful? needing to practice/study very little in order to achieve their goals?

Last edited by Harvey Swick at Sep 25, 2011,
Quote by Harvey Swick
yet, dont you agree, that some people are born skillful? needing to practice/study very little in order to achieve their goals?

Well yeah, we are all different of course, but I do think that it mostly depends on other factors than our genes, like how we were raised, if we listened to a lot of music as children for example perhaps you can grasp concepts of melodies faster, I don't know, but perhaps you understand what I'm going for. I don't think that it makes or breaks if you become a genius or not though, if you have the resolve to practice for hours a day, I'm sure (almost) anyone could make something great out of themselves.
It's a combination. Natural talent exists, but that natural talent can, nine of ten times, only be brought out with proper training and practice.

Prodigies don't just pick up an instrument and be awesome. But they have drive and routines of practice that make them incredibly skilled quickly. Combine that with a natural talent, and you have why Quinn Sullivan(Ignore the voice - he's twelve, his voice hasn't matured yet. His guitar playing has though) and especially Anreas Varady can exist in the same world as those guys who've been playing for years, but can hardly play. Like me.
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 75-87
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 3-3
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 52-39
Last edited by necrosis1193 at Sep 25, 2011,
There is talent and potential. Take your pick
╘MESHUG╦G╗AH

Ibanez ARX 350
Dunlop 535Q
Ibanez TS9
Peavey TransTube Supreme
DRIVE Elite straight 412
Quote by intothe
Well yeah, we are all different of course, but I do think that it mostly depends on other factors than our genes, like how we were raised, if we listened to a lot of music as children for example perhaps you can grasp concepts of melodies faster, I don't know, but perhaps you understand what I'm going for. I don't think that it makes or breaks if you become a genius or not though, if you have the resolve to practice for hours a day, I'm sure (almost) anyone could make something great out of themselves.

I agree in part. There are people who are born very talented, and they have it easier to achieve a skill level we would consider genius.
Others can do that too, but that demands total devotion and hard work, and many people doesn't feel that it is worth it.

There are also people that are so musically inept that they propably never will be musical on a decent level, believe me, I've met them
Quote by intothe

i agree there are a lot of factors. as i am also sure Einstein studied a great deal. i'm thinking along the lines of like savant-type stuff

I'd say that some individuals are born with greater natural ability, in some aspects. This, however, does not make them great. Only hours and hours of living and breathing your music and instrument will make you a virtuoso. Natural ability is like having a head start; it puts a person at an advantage, initially, but will only carry them a little way down the path to greatness before, just like everyone else, they have to put their noses to the grind stone and practise hard.

Incredible determination and drive will always win out over initial natural talent. I could be argued, though, that if you discover a natural disposition towards something, you'll be more likely to stick with it and work hard.
This is interesting, you should put a poll up.
Personally i believe it has to do with nurture, and only after on the individual's choices etc..
personally, i know some people pick it up better, and i know some people have worse listening skills/finger dexterity/rhythmic feeling.

for example, a friend, who is generally born a genius (his grasp of logic/general knowledge is incredible, gets A*s without trying) is really trying to be a good guitarist. he's played 3 years and a half now, i've played 2 years and a half. i'm slightly better than him. he doesn't feel rhythm like me and he's a little bit tone deaf. starting a band and being an amazing guitarist is his dream.

i know he was born talented in everything else, but musically stunted. maybe it's his way of challenging himself, idunno. i wasn't exactly born talented, but i was born with potential to be labelled with talent, yaknow? i know guitarists like tosin abasi definitely have a closet full of talent.
"I specialize in driving a set like I'm driving a Lexus" - Uncle Mez
Bach,Mozart and Beethoven were born in to a highly musical familys.
I think that to become a genious you need these three things
- Burning fire to become one
- Good teachers
- Working practice schelude.
I read somewhere that Beethoven's dad made him practice all night long.

1% inspiration, 99% perspiration. No other way.
Quote by SlinkyBlue

The solution is simple and obvious.

We revolt against ourselves. Mass suicide. The ultimate revolution.
any man who has the will to aspire can overcome those who believe themselves to be the best.

so no their not born its take practice and time to become a master of any trade including musix
Ibanez sz720fm,Ibbly RG350DX, Custom Tele-> Dunlop 535Q->RAT Pro co II-> Ibanez Fuzz->Marshall Haze 40.
Tascam US-800 and a hand full of Mics into Nedundo 4

my music, new recording on the way in 2014

[B]insert witty italicized quote here
made. in a factory. a robot factory. they're robots.
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.