Page 1 of 2
okay guys, i'm in a bit of a pickle here. i support artistic freedom to the death, but unfortunately, i need to speak against it for this debate...i cant think of ways to troll the other team.

so basically, why do you think art, literature, music etc. SHOULD be censored?
'cause kids shouldn't see stuff that their parents can't be bothered to explain to them.
you still have zoiiidbeeeerg
(V) (;,,;) (V)
YOU ALL STILL HAVE ZOIDBERG
Quote by TheBurningFish
It's more shocking to see Tom dressed at all.
Quote by suckersdream
I don't think I've ever actually seen him clothed.
Sexy Peoples Only
◕ ‿ ◕
TweetZ
Because boobies and violent video games cause all evil. I heard that Hitler played a lot of GTA prior to executing 6 million people. Stalin was a big Resident Evil junkie, which led to the Ukranian genocide.
Hi, I'm Peter
Nah I think art, music and all that shiz is stuff where if you want restrictions, restrict it all.
yo.

I BELIEVE
okay, i need to give them reasons why it SHOULD be censored...some reverse trolling, please?
Because some artists are "trolls" and thrive on situations when people are disgusted about what they have done. So, don't feed the troll.

And also it can be quite degenerating to be exposed to certain types of art constantly.

Quote by Butt Rayge
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I9lmvX00TLY

That.

That is when art should be censored.

A woman that can't use a can-opener?

Very dreadful sight indeed.
Last edited by Zeletros at Sep 25, 2011,
Restrict life. Art is a depiction of life, death, society and everything around you. When art can't mirror the society art might as well be banned altogether.
sometimes I see us in a cymbal splash or in the sound of a car crash
Quote by JohnnyGenzale
Restrict life. Art is a depiction of life, death, society and everything around you. When art can't mirror the society art might as well be banned altogether.

Quote by Zeletros

I'm sorry but in the world outside of the Soviet union it's quite true
Last edited by JohnnyGenzale at Sep 25, 2011,
Just show up in this:

You need no other words.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
You should be careful what you say. Some asshole will probably sig it.

Quote by Axelfox
Yup, a girl went up to me in my fursuit one time.

Quote by Xiaoxi
I can fap to this. Keep going.
Quote by JohnnyGenzale
Go back to bashing newcomers on the forums and tell them they can't post about stuff until after 2 years.

Man, seriously, maybe sometimes art is about depicting life, but most people do art just for the sake of art. Not because they have a deep emotional connection to the topic.
Quote by Zeletros
Man, seriously, maybe sometimes art is about depicting life, but most people do art just for the sake of art. Not because they have a deep emotional connection to the topic.

Art is life. Thereby it's always depicting life.
Quote by Jackal58
Just show up in this:

You need no other words.

This.
RIP Gooze

cats
Quote by Zeletros
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OE2l6CPna4M

Well,

your life must really suck then.

You present no logic whatsoever in any statement you've put forward to so forth. I'll go ahead and assume you're just retarded or you're deliberately missing the point because you enjoy trolling the internet which you enjoy so much since it was established post the Iron Curtain.
Quote by JohnnyGenzale
You present no logic whatsoever in any statement you've put forward to so forth. I'll go ahead and assume you're just retarded or you're deliberately missing the point because you enjoy trolling the internet which you enjoy so much since it was established post the Iron Curtain.

So, you consider what I showed "art"?
Quote by JohnnyGenzale

What does an iron curtain have to do with the internet?
okay, let me rephrase this.

imagine a hypothetical situation in which i wanted to troll a forum that supported artistic freedom, without using a religious standpoint. how would i go about doing this?
obvious art for art's sake does exist, but I think you'll find more often that not underlying themes and ideas in art different kinds of art.

On topic...I can't really think of a reason why art should be censored. I suppose it would be helpful in trying to run a fascist/totalitarianist society.

Or like...when you stack 5 paints cans in a row, and call it art...you're kind of allowing the degradation of integrity that art has in general. So restrict art so that people don't make bad/stupid things. But then you have to argue all that subjective bs.
Last edited by technicolour at Sep 25, 2011,
Buy a copy of Frankenchrist and show the poster to everyone.
To be vulnerable is needed most of all, if you intend to truly fall apart.

Quote by due 07
You have no idea how much I don't want to tell stories about my mother's vaginal slime on the internet.

I make music sometimes.
Last edited by Gorelord666 at Sep 25, 2011,
The toughest part of that question is where to draw the line. Art is subjective. Why do you think there are so many flame-wars regarding something as transparent as music genre? Seriously- just about every comment section of every UG article ends up having arguments over genre.

Anyways, art in any form provokes thought. The moral content of thought is also subjective; inspiration can be both advantageous and detrimental to society.

Where should the line be drawn? Let's assume for a second that there were absolutely no restrictions about what could air on the radio (for audio) or displayed in public (for physical art forms). If it was your responsibility to draw a line based on quantitative aspects, how could you do it? How would you classify acceptable vs unacceptable? Permissible vs obscene? If there were no restrictions, just imagine that the entire world would resemble the darkest places of the internet (take a wild guess there).

At the same time, let's take a look at it from a control perspective. It's interesting to think about anarchy. Could it work? How would it work? What would stop someone from, say, killing your entire family for any little object in your house that they desire? Would society even function without an economy? Where would the motivation come from to be any profession without extra compensation for the amount of study needed? Do you think doctors would simply do their thing for free? What about construction? Farming? Etc...

My point there is, there always has to be some system in place to keep things somewhat orderly. If art provokes thought, and those thoughts lead to abolishment of all systems, then what happens? That's typically the reason why censorship has occurred in the first place- free thought or coercion against a certain person, establishment, or idea. It's there to weed out extremists and keep everyone in their safe little mental cages.
Quote by abhilaksh
okay, let me rephrase this.

imagine a hypothetical situation in which i wanted to troll a forum that supported artistic freedom, without using a religious standpoint. how would i go about doing this?

Talk about how if someone is offended by it, it needs to be hidden form everyone. Because it's our moral responsibility to keep others from being offended. And say this as sweetly as possible.
This is a freaking stupid debate. Curbing artistic freedom? Why on earth would we want to do that?
Quote by denfilade
For a moment I thought velcro shoes were ones with the whole bottom made of velcro

She could walk up your pubes with those

Quote by kannon
this post has aids
Quote by NinjaSlayHuman
and 07'ers will always be well-respected members of UG society.
Quote by bry0n
This is a freaking stupid debate. Curbing artistic freedom? Why on earth would we want to do that?

Because it is stupid to cover the floor of a big room with peanut butter.
Last edited by Lord_Doku at Sep 25, 2011,
Quote by Lord_Doku

I second this
Quote by Lord_Doku

Explain why.
Quote by denfilade
For a moment I thought velcro shoes were ones with the whole bottom made of velcro

She could walk up your pubes with those

Quote by kannon
this post has aids
Quote by NinjaSlayHuman
and 07'ers will always be well-respected members of UG society.
Quote by bry0n
Explain why.

Someone accidently stepped on it and had to pay a couple of thousand euro's.

For the repair of a peanut butter covered floor...

It's just retarded.
I don't think art should be censored but at the same time, not all art should be appreciated.
Quote by Scottorocker
A book killed lennon

This killed John Lennon

Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
You should be careful what you say. Some asshole will probably sig it.

Quote by Axelfox
Yup, a girl went up to me in my fursuit one time.

Quote by Xiaoxi
I can fap to this. Keep going.
Artists aren't absolved of the social responsibility we'd expect of anyone else. In fact, their responsibility is greater because their influence is greater... etc

I'd go with something along those lines.
Or you can go with the music makes killers thing.

To be vulnerable is needed most of all, if you intend to truly fall apart.

Quote by due 07
You have no idea how much I don't want to tell stories about my mother's vaginal slime on the internet.

I make music sometimes.
because anyone who thinks children aren't affected by what they see or read are idiots. seeing adult shit at a young age may not make someone outwardly violent or sexual, but it could internally make them a bit screwy.
#DTWD
If you're gonna censor art: censor school, work, places of business, ect. Even if you're not gonna see something sexual, or violent in a painting. Or hear profanity in a song. You're gonna see/hear/feel it at some other point in life. Also, people think there is a problem with violent video games, but you hear about gang shootings and war on the news all the time.
Please call me Rainer, was 16 and empty minded when I made my profile.

Sometimes I talk to myself too...but never on the internet.
I think you could maybe look at starting off by trying to give yourself a definition of what is art, and what makes something, 'not art'. After that perhaps talk of the function of art, whether it has or even should have a 'function'. Talk about an artist's responsibility for their art and people who consume and interpret it. (I know of people who became racist, occasionally violent Skinheads after seeing films like American History X and This Is England). Perhaps also talk of the funding of art, ie if its partly government funded, it cannot criticise the state/it's benefactor. (That one in particular needs a lot more thought behind it.)

Sorry this is a bit of a ramble just what came into my head straight off.
Looking to buy a Fender Jagstang, u sellin?
Because art is mimetic (and pretend that it all is), it is by nature inferior to the real life things that it imitates. If a piece of art becomes really popular, it should be removed from the public because it's replacing something better (the real thing) with a cheap copy, thus undermining the quality of the people who view and hear it.

That was really one of the arguments about art floating around 4th centurey Greece. It's so far out of a position to us today, that no one will know how to make a rebuttal against it.

Go stare at a tree instead of a painting of a tree guy; form has no intrinsic merit of its own (that's what you'll have to argue anyway) and the content is better in the real world.
Page 1 of 2