Is it possible to remove the arrow shaped stop-tail piece or whatever it's called? Also is it possible to remove the pickguard? I just think they make the guitar look a bit ridiculous, and if I were to buy one I'd remove both. So...is this possible?
Quote by Pingis_Or_Death
Is it possible to remove the arrow shaped stop-tail piece or whatever it's called? Also is it possible to remove the pickguard? I just think they make the guitar look a bit ridiculous, and if I were to buy one I'd remove both. So...is this possible?

I think the pickguard is aesthetic, but I think the arrow stop piece acts as the string ferrules. So if you remove it, the strings will dig into the wood. You could add some ferrules though.

This is all speculation, I've never tried anything like that.
Quote by W4RP1G
I think the pickguard is aesthetic, but I think the arrow stop piece acts as the string ferrules. So if you remove it, the strings will dig into the wood. You could add some ferrules though.

This is all speculation, I've never tried anything like that.

I don't think you actually NEED ferrules though, but I could be wrong.
there are models without these, i agree with you about the pickguard though it cheapens the guitar for me.

which model are you looking at as you could also look into an ESP SV, same shape rear route.

edit: high end look at a jackson RR24, low budget RX10D both are pickguard free
Proud owner of Paul Allander PRS styled - Shamray CS-1985
CS-1985 Pics
Jackson RR24 White with black bevels
Last edited by gtanny at Sep 25, 2011,
The only model they make that has your specs would be this, assuming you don't want a trem. If you do, it's a different story then. Don't get me wrong, it's good, for a beginner. I believe that in some models you can, but you might get a big hole, because the electronics are front loaded.

So your only route is a beginners guitar, or a guitar with a trem.
NT

BE QUICK OR BE DEAD SON
Quote by Pingis_Or_Death
I don't think you actually NEED ferrules though, but I could be wrong.

No, it's mostly cosmetic. Tele bridges don't use them because you don't see the part where the strings go through on the top. But it will pull the strings though the wood, especially on a guitar like the RR that has such an angle between the bridge and the string holes.
The knobs are mounted on the pickguard and their wiring is wired through it, so good luck operating the guitar without it.

-RR owner.
Better, Faster, Stronger

Kansas City Chiefs

Kansas State Wildcats
Quote by airbrendie
Hey guys in the last 3 weeks I ****ed all the girls in this picture, what do you think?

Quote by gtanny
there are models without these, i agree with you about the pickguard though it cheapens the guitar for me.

which model are you looking at as you could also look into an ESP SV, same shape rear route.

edit: high end look at a jackson RR24, low budget RX10D both are pickguard free

I'm looking at the the new X-series RR, especially the green one, jizz-tastic!
I hate the look of the ESP RR models, everyone and their mother around here has one. Bunch of alexi laihio-wannabes, lol. Anyways if it the RRs are top routed, then that sucks. King V or RR24 it is, then.
I don't have one, but I'm fairly sure that all of the RRs with a pickguard are top routed, so you can't really get rid of it unless you want the control route exposed.

The arrow shaped piece, I assume that you could remove, but I'd want to add string ferrules if I did.
Quote by Pingis_Or_Death
I hate the look of the ESP RR models, everyone and their mother around here has one. Bunch of alexi laihio-wannabes, lol. Anyways if it the RRs are top routed, then that sucks. King V or RR24 it is, then.

I don't have one, and neither does my mother
Quote by Pingis_Or_Death

the USA models with the extended lower fin look like a cheap RR knockoff to me but the Japan release ones are great, i tried an Edwards Alexi Scythe and the only thing i didnt like was the finished neck, felt sticky, i didnt like the neck profile either but ive always prefered Ibanez necks
Proud owner of Paul Allander PRS styled - Shamray CS-1985
CS-1985 Pics
Jackson RR24 White with black bevels