After lots of experiments with my pedal order and FX loop, I figured out that I prefer the sound of my delay in front of the amp. I've always preferred mod pedals before delay in my chain. Neither of my mod pedals really sound worth a crap before the amp though.

My question to y'all is what might be some good options for modulation that could go before the amp. If memory serves, the EHX Electric Mistress I tried worked pretty well in front of the amp... Other suggestions? I've got the EHX Flanger Hoax and a Boss BF-2.

Thanks!
Maximum volume yields maximum goats.
So, you're asking for modulation pedals that sound good without going through an FX Loop?

My Small Clone sounds great through my Vox, which doesn't have a Loop (grr).
Quote by necrosis1193
Somewhere in a concert hall in Sweden, you have just caused Yngwie Malmsteen physical pain. You also caused him to catch on fire.

Quote by frusciante.ve
I like that new song of theirs that goes all "peeeeeaaaas wiiiill comeeeeee toooo meeeee"

Just because you Seymour Duncan, doesn't mean you Seymour Dunshould
Quote by MacMan2001
So, you're asking for modulation pedals that sound good without going through an FX Loop?

Yup, exactly.

I think it's just the nature of delay through an FX loop, even in a +/-8 db loop. I really like percussive/rhythmic delay ala U2/Tool. It's just too subdued sounding in the loop. My BF-2 loses most of it's detail up front, but my Flanger Hoax doesn't; it's just obnoxiously noisy. There's more white noise in that pedal than actual effect.
I've never heard a modulation that kept most of its depth in front of a distortion path, sadly =( I have a lot of them (you make me remember how many pedals I have, actually, and it's scary) and I can't remember any, except for trems. A tremolo iin front of a distorted toob amp sounds great though, it's kind of waves of distortion
Have you tried a really über-clean sound on your amp? As in, Clean channel, cut bass with raised mids and treble? If you have it, use a good amount of reverb from your amp too.

This way, you can make sure any gain isn't trashing any part of your sound. Also, what amp are you using?
Quote by necrosis1193
Somewhere in a concert hall in Sweden, you have just caused Yngwie Malmsteen physical pain. You also caused him to catch on fire.

Quote by frusciante.ve
I like that new song of theirs that goes all "peeeeeaaaas wiiiill comeeeeee toooo meeeee"

Just because you Seymour Duncan, doesn't mean you Seymour Dunshould
Delay doesn't work in the loop regardless of how clean or dirty the amp is set. I'm running a Laney AOR head, with the AOR engaged. I can roll the guitar volume off for my clean sound, which can handle modulation well enough for my needs. It's mostly the distortion where I run into problems.

Any ideas on how to shut the Hoax up? It would be way more usable than the BF-2 up front if there wasn't so much damn noise...