Hi Guys,

So I just bought my first guitar and amp almost 2 months ago now and I have come across a dilemma.

After taking my brand new guitar in to be professionally serviced and setup I have been told that the frets on my guitar ( which I bought online from overseas ) are 'Uneven' which is leading to a lot of fret buzz.

Schecter Hellraiser Solo 6
Vox VT 20plus practice amp

I can get this fixed ( a fret re-dressing ? ) but I would be without my new guitar for at least 6 weeks apparently.I was saving up to buy myself a nice tube amp when I found all of this out.

So my question is, What is more important ?

Should I buy a nice new guitar so I can continue to play and practice while I get my Hellraiser fixed ?

OR

Should I just harden up about the fret buzz and just buy a really nice tube amp ?

For Reference I was planing on getting a Blackstar HT 40 amp which is roughly the same amount as some of the PRS SE guitars I was contemplating purchasing.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated
Get the guitar fixed if you like it. Get the Blackstar HT 20 instead and save the rest of the $$ for a new guitar.

was it a shop that quoted you?
See if they will hook you up with a used cheapo guitar to use while your is being fixed. Alot of small mom and pop store will do this, tell them that you are giging and you need a guitar.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
I would go with a new amp...Schecter guitars are pretty nice, but a new amp would be really good
The amp will improve your tone more than a guitar. And unless the buzzing is very apparent in the sound, go getcha self an amp.
yeah get a new amp. the vox is nice for a beginner practice amp but you can do better if you're willing to spend.

fwiw a fret dress shouldn't take 6 weeks unless the person you're taking it to is really busy. And if they are, book it in with them and tell them you'll give them the guitar when they're ready to work on it as you only have one guitar and (obviously) don't want to be without it for 6 weeks.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
You should definitely get your frets dressed, especially if you want to keep your guitar for a while. Having uneven frets is common, and you have to do it every once in a while if you've owned the guitar for a long time anyway.

Just save up for a little bit longer to get the amp you want. I know it sucks, but it's better to have a good guitar that plays nice than to cut around the corners. So you can get something else.
Wow.. really sucks that you bought it overseas.. The store owner near me would definitely fix it or get a new one without cost.. Cause I think this one should definitely be refunded.. Only 2 months..

I think your guitar is definitely better than your amp when compared.. I think the price tag should tell enough..
Gear pics

Quote by Cathbard
Bugera cloning Blackstar is a scandal cloaked in a tragedy making love to a nightmare.

save for a new amp, i you can afford it also get a cheap squire or epiphone guitar so that you can play for the 6 weeks that you dont have your shecter. but trying to book a place and bringing in your guitar when they are ready in 6 weeks is also a good idea
thanks for the replies guys

the buzzing is very apparent on the low E and A strings all over the fret board, but if i play softly the buzz kind of goes away, but if i strum with any kind of volume they buzz. Its like just enough to annoy me.

The reason why I was looking at the HT 40 over the HT 20 is I read somewhere on this forum that people say the 40 can do metal better than the HT 20 because it comes with some extra gain switch or something.

Do you guys think the HT 20 or HT 40 is overkill for bedroom volumes ?
pretty much anything is overkill for bedroom volumes. that being the case, you get the amp that sounds best turned down to bedroom volumes for the tones you need, almost regardless of the wattage.

fwiw those blackstars are (as far as i'm aware) hybrid rather than all-tube. they may still sound good (i haven't tried them), but it's worth making sure you're aware of that.

what's your budget for the amp, and what country are you in (affects prices and availability)? EDIT: what type(s) of music do you play?
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Cringe

Do you guys think the HT 20 or HT 40 is overkill for bedroom volumes ?

Either one is plenty loud for bedroom volumes. If you're worried about gain one the HT 20, you could always get a pedal to boost your sound or dirty it up.
roughly about $800 to $1000 max $AUD

I live in Australia hehe.

and I've only been playing guitar for about 2months but I do love everything from Metal to Classic Rock.

Im finding since playing guitar that I prefer clean sounds alot more on this vox amp then gain, but that could also be cuz of the amp.
ah yeah, in australia you kinda get reamed on the prices a lot...

I'm not too well up on what's good value there, unfortunately.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
yer we sure do

but maybe you could make ur suggestion anyway and I can always look up the price
how heavy metal? and what percentages of those types of music do you play, or is it pretty evenly spread out?
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
generally speaking i think i prefer clean playing, with the ability to play metal.

but all the music on my ipod is pretty much hard rock -> metal orientated, but like i said, loving the cleans on the guitar hehe.

thats why i was looking at the blackstar ht 20/40 as from what i've heard they have awesome cleans, but can do a decent job at metal also

anyway, thanks heaps for the replies guys,

I think the general consensus is that I should go with a new amp.
Last edited by Cringe at Sep 25, 2011,
The HT-20 is badass. I don't know about the HT40, but I have the HT20 and haven't heard any complaints from my neighbors yet and it has good gain and distortion at a lower volume. I imagine the HT40 would be the same, but louder. I think the HT40 has another feature the HT20 doesn't have either, but I forgot what it is. I have't posted many vids yet, but here is a vid of me using my HT20 with just the built in distortion and my Bad Monkey Overdrive Pedal. Its a big step up from my old Vox AD15 (older version of the VT15/20). I would personally recommend getting an overdrive or distortion pedal to up the gain if you want "really heavy" metal, although the built in does a fine job.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vSrZSweGDTs
k, thanks

i dunno if you can get them in australia easily, but you said to suggest anyway, so maybe a traynor ycv 40 or 50?

edit: engl screamer would be a good call too, if the prices aren't ridiculous where you are
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Save your money until you've been playing long enough to have the 1st clue about what you want.
I would go with amp too.
As far as your frett buzz, have you tried raising the action on that side? It may just be too low. I can't say the place you took it to is trying to get extra work or not but if it's only E and A and its up and down the neck, that would make me think the E, A strings are too low. A bad fret or two would usually cause buzz specific to a few frets around it, not the entire string.

The fact that they want 6 weeks concerns me too. Sounds like they may send it out to someone else. In which case they may not have a clue.
Last edited by D_M_I at Sep 26, 2011,
Lateralus, thanks for the demo dude ,

Dave_MC thanks for the suggestions, I checked out a price on that screamer, its about $2000 australian hehe, we sure got reamed on prices here in australia. The traynor ycv looks cool, but might be a availability problem here in oz. Thanks anyway mate

D_M_I - thanks for the suggestion dude regarding the fret buzz. I kind of trust the shop in question because they actually told me to save my money on getting it fixed and that I could just play through it. That being said, you are correct about them sending the guitar to someone else , they said they have a guitar luthier that works on these kinds of problems.

All in all I think I am going to go for that Blackstar HT 20 or 40 amp. It seems to hit the sweetspot between price and quality. I 'Think' its what im looking for, and of course im gonna go check it out again in person before I buy it. But for a tube amp that's under $1000 i can't seem to find much other competition. Alot of the popular brands seem to jump over $1000 here in Australia as soon as you start talking tube amps around 20-40watts.

thanks for the comments guys, new amp vs new guitar = new amp .

ill get another new guitar later down the track :P
ah, no worries. yeah you guys get the worst of the prices, we're bad enough here in the UK and Ireland.

maybe look at some laneys? though they mightn't be much less
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Maybe it's just the pessimist in me, but take it to another tech and for a second opinion. You say you're new to guitar, and the tech may know that, and he may be taking advantage of you.

Also, try raising the action. Personally, I think you could hold off a few days to a week without guitar and wait for it to come back and just not buy anything (if you decide to go the fret-dressing route).
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Highway One Telecaster
Dean Evo
Mesa F-50
Laney GH50L
Vox AC30 C2
Ampeg V2
pedals