So I want to start recording vocals on my laptop. I'll probably be getting an at2035 as a mic. Now I need an interface. I only need one mic input, I wont be recording guitar through it. My laptop is (windows 7, intel core i5, 4g ram, USB). My price range is up to about 200$. I'll be doing rock styled vocals, so something that fits rock would be great (if that even matters).

Any recommendations would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
Last edited by Duce180 at Sep 25, 2011,
I'm reading the Onyx Satellite review and all I'm seeing is "firewire connection"
You said you want USB and not FireWire, but that Mackie interface is FireWire...

If you're only gonna use it for vocals, and plan on running USB, why not just get a USB mic? Or an XLR to USB converter?
Quote by Tracii Lee
You said you want USB and not FireWire, but that Mackie interface is FireWire...

If you're only gonna use it for vocals, and plan on running USB, why not just get a USB mic? Or an XLR to USB converter?

Lol your right, i feel like a dumbass..

As for your suggestion. Ive heard that straight up usb mics aren't as good. Also, I'd like to have the capabilities that a preamp or interface can bring.

Focusrite Saffire 6 USB. Absolute best mic pre's in your price range.
Yeah ive heard good things about this mic pre. Definately on the top of my list so far. Thanks for the suggestion.
You can get an express card for your laptop that will give you FW support for <$30.

I see you're in AZ, check Craigslist, there's good deals on interfaces on there all the time. Also - I would suggest NOT getting that mic. No offense to the 2000 series of the AT mics, but they are entry level mics that you'll end up outgrowing quickly. For around the same price, you could get a used AT4040 which will utterly destroy the 2035.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Last edited by MatrixClaw at Sep 25, 2011,
Quote by MatrixClaw
You can get an express card for your laptop that will give you FW support for <$30.

Really, never heard that you can do that, thanks for letting me know man. Are firewire interfaces generally better than USB products?
Quote by Duce180
Really, never heard that you can do that, thanks for letting me know man. Are firewire interfaces generally better than USB products?

Yes. FireWire interfaces are, in general, more professional, because they offer lower latency and most of them have better pres.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
The thing I found to be a limit on USB interfaces isnt the build quality....(look at the new PreSonus units which are all USB)......but I found the software and hardware to be programmed/made to mix down inputs before feeding out to the USB line.

I still like Firewire over USB but for a 1 or 2 input interface, you really don't need firewire.

I used to recommend PreSonus a LOT until I started having more and more issues with the drivers for my FP10 interface.

I have finally tried a Focusrite interface and loved the sound of them....very clear and good ADA converters. I will be getting the Focusrite Saffire Pro 24 soon and selling off my FP10
Last edited by moody07747 at Sep 27, 2011,
Focusrite is amazing. Great I/O, pres, tech support, rock solid drivers, and no waiting! I've never had an issue and highly recommend the Saffire and Scarlett lines
Audio Ecstasy Productions!

Guitar/Backline Tech in the Los Angeles area and on tour!
Custom guitar pedals and cabling for stage and studio!

I set up DAWs and tweak computers to record audio. Hit me up @ audioecstasyproductions[at}gmail.com
presonus audiobox is a great product
ಠ_ಠ
<|>
/ω\

Tell me what nation on this earth, was not born of tragedy-Primordial
Quote by MatrixClaw

I see you're in AZ, check Craigslist, there's good deals on interfaces on there all the time. Also - I would suggest NOT getting that mic. No offense to the 2000 series of the AT mics, but they are entry level mics that you'll end up outgrowing quickly. For around the same price, you could get a used AT4040 which will utterly destroy the 2035.

Thanks for the tips. I just bought a used at4040 for 200$. Ill start checking out craigslist for a interface next. Thanks for all the help guys, I really appreciate it
Quote by moody07747
I still like Firewire over USB but for a 1 or 2 input interface, you really don't need firewire.

Its nice to see someone else on this forum actually knows that.

I am a fan of focusrite for sure in the lower price range.
My Focusrite Sapphire kicks butt - I like it better than the others I currently own including a Presonus Inspire (Firewire), Line 6 GX1, Boss GS-10 and the 2 M-Audio Fastracks I owned at one time (both JUNK IMO)
Now running an Eleven Rack with Pro Tools 10.3.3 - it's amazing and I'm having ball with it - worth every penny. PT 10 is tops IMO and the Eleven Rack is a work of art!
strangedogs, did you ever have dropouts and connection issues with your PreSonus and are you on mac or PC?

I'm running an FP10 and have been having way too many issues with it. I would swap it out but am first getting a new iMac to see if that fixes the issue (I run PC now but want to move to Final Cut Studio).