Hello all. I am currently in the position to purchase an upgrade, but I have to chance it with an internet purchase because the closest guitar store is a 3 hour drive. So I have come here to hear what you guys have to say from experience with the guitars that I'm deciding between.

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Fender-FSR-Standard-Telecaster-Electric-Guitar-106205230-i1858005.gc

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Fender-Standard-Stratocaster-HSS-Electric-Guitar-H76528-i2032188.gc#

The main thing is obviously the price range but its also closer to the sound I want than my Epiphone Les Paul can give me. But since it will be an online purchase, I'm more interested in stuff like, feel, weight, playability questions.

If it helps, I like to play southern rock/bluesy type stuff. I've also found out that playing funk rock type stuff a la RHCP and early Incubus stuff is really fun.

Thanks for your time!
the strat is better for your style and is way more versatile but they are both great guitars. i have a les paul studio and have exactly the same style as you and i love RHCP. i chose a fender american standard strat in the same circumstances.
The Strat is definitely better for your style, as itamar101 stated.
Gear pics

Quote by Cathbard
Bugera cloning Blackstar is a scandal cloaked in a tragedy making love to a nightmare.

That's what I was thinking. I've always resisted getting a Strat for some reason. Don't know why, almost all of my favorites play them. Makes sense to get one. Thanks for the input you guys!
If I were you I'd get the strat, the HSS one is nice in particular. Not that the tele is bad, I just think that the Strat would better fit your sound than the telecaster.
A Strat is one of the most versatile guitars there is. A strat was my first electric guitar, and after so many years, I still play it, and it still works perfectly. Def suggest it over the other.
I would actually recommend an HSS Strat to you.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by Tliggz
That's what I was thinking. I've always resisted getting a Strat for some reason. Don't know why, almost all of my favorites play them. Makes sense to get one. Thanks for the input you guys!

Again, I had exactly the same situation. We must be e-twins!!!