Page 1 of 2
So I was gonna go ahead and grab myself a used Dual Recto head when a thought crossed my mind ...

This head will be a good few years old, and I was wondering have Mesa changed anything between then and now that would make any sort of noticable difference, i.e. fixed design flaws, changed circuitry, tubes etc?
Axe FX 2
Matrix GT1000FX
Mesa 4x12
Behringer FCB1010
yes. the newer ones have a 100/50 watt selector switch. Older ones (1990's) are 2 ch amps, most people want this early version. You have the Tremoverb which is a diff model of Dual recto also.

I'm sure there are many more, but I couldn't tell you what they are.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
There have been 3 major revisions of the Recto series.

The first was the 2-channel series, which a lot of people think sound better than the next series.

After the 2-channel series Mesa produced a 3-channel version of the Recto except the Single Rec which is 2 channels still.

Most recently (2010) Mesa made a major revision of the Rectifier amps.

There are more, minor revisions of the Rectifier design, but these are the 3 most major.

There's a lot of different classifications of Recto as well:

- Single Rectifier
- Dual Rectifier, Roadster, Road King, Rect-o-Verb, Tremoverb, Maverick
- Triple Rectifier, Rack Rectifier

Most recently they've come out with the Mini Recto as well.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
The one I'm looking to get is a Dual Rectifier Solo Head with a diamond front plate ...

What was the major revision in 2010? This one will likely be older than that one, so what will the differences be?
Axe FX 2
Matrix GT1000FX
Mesa 4x12
Behringer FCB1010
From Mesa's web site:

Quote by Mesa Boogie
Now with our patented Multi-Watt™ Channel Selectable Power, an Improved Effects Loop, Channel Assignable Rectifier Choices with RECTIFIER TRACKING™, a TUNER OUT jack with SILENT TUNE feature and an all new Footswitch, the new Dual and Triple are more menacing than ever!

The newer Rectifiers are supposed to sound more like the 2 channel version in addition to all these new features.

Basically with the new Rectos you have individual rectifier settings per channel. Meaning you could set the clean channel to spongy while the lead channels are set to 'tight', as well as wattage settings for each channel, and a serial effects loop as compared to the 'parallel' loop on the older Rectos.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Quote by La Qotsa
The one I'm looking to get is a Dual Rectifier Solo Head with a diamond front plate ...

That doesn't help... All Dual Rectos are "Solo" heads, and have a diamond plate front on them, unless they were custom ordered to have something else.

When was it made? What's the serial number? Does it have 2 rows of knobs, or 3 sub sections?

This is a 2 channel (notice only 2 rows of knobs):

This is a 3 channel (notice 3 groups of knobs):

Color of the diamond plate is negligable, both the 2 and 3 channels are/were available with black or silver plate.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Looks like it's a 3 channel one ... I assume they are still a great amp for Metal regardless?
Axe FX 2
Matrix GT1000FX
Mesa 4x12
Behringer FCB1010
Quote by La Qotsa
Looks like it's a 3 channel one ... I assume they are still a great amp for Metal regardless?

Personally, I can't stand the 3 channels. I've owned a few, the last one I had was loaded with KT-77s and it was the closest I've been able to get to a 2 channel sound, but it was still far from it. The 3 channels lack a ton of clarity and have way too much lowend IMO. They are great for hardrock, where you're not playing a bunch of individual notes, and you just want a ridiculously huge tone on chords, but even with a boost, they lack a ton of definition for anything heavier.

Since you're in Europe, I wouldn't even bother with Mesa. I'm sure for the price you're going to pay, you could get a much better amp from Engl, Framus or Diezel, for a similar price, or a bit more. Hell, I'm not even a fan of the Marshall JVM, and I'd take it over a 3 channel Recto.
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
Last edited by MatrixClaw at Sep 25, 2011,
What you really need is a ...

Yeah, you would need to provide a bit more info like MC is saying so he can answer you fully. He is our resident Rectifier expert. They didn't make any significant changes to the amp (outside of what was mentioned regarding additions in 2010) so you should feel pretty good about buy an old one. Just play it first and make sure everything operates as it should. If you like the tone then buy it.
Last edited by 311ZOSOVHJH at Sep 25, 2011,
Since you're in Yurop you'd be infinitely better off with Diezel, Framus, Orange, Brunetti, ENGL, etc. than buying a Mesa.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
What you really need is a ...

Yeah, you would need to provide a bit more info like MC is saying so he can answer you fully. He is our resident Rectifier expert. They didn't make any significant changes to the amp (outside of what was mentioned regarding additions in 2010) so you should feel pretty good about buy an old one. Just play it first and make sure everything operates as it should. If you like the tone then buy it.

lmao

I've tried a JVM and didn't like it at all, nowhere near enough gain with pedals/a ton of post processing etc. Didn't like Orange at all either.

As for being in the UK, that doesn't matter. I can get a used one in the UK for cheap and was wondering should I go for it.

EDIT: I also have a Mesa 4x12 that I picked up for a really great price, so I guess it'd make a certain amount of sense to have the head too.
Axe FX 2
Matrix GT1000FX
Mesa 4x12
Behringer FCB1010
Last edited by La Qotsa at Sep 25, 2011,
How cheap? What's your budget?
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Quote by Raijouta
How cheap? What's your budget?

I got the cab for £400, if that's what you mean.

I may be able to get the head down to £600 though, it's hard to pass up and I know it's great for Metal. I've never even heard of anybody over here with a Diezel, Framus or ENGL.
Axe FX 2
Matrix GT1000FX
Mesa 4x12
Behringer FCB1010
Lol you havent seen anyone with an engl, really?
Last edited by coolstoryangus at Sep 25, 2011,
Quote by La Qotsa
I may be able to get the head down to £600 though, it's hard to pass up and I know it's great for Metal. I've never even heard of anybody over here with a Diezel, Framus or ENGL.

Based on what fact? From your comments above, it doesn't seem like you've ever tried one, so how you can know it's great for metal is beyond me.

Personally, I would not touch a 3 channel Recto for metal ever again if I didn't have to. You'd be infinitely better off with a 5150, but I guess at £600, you could resell it for a profit if you don't like it
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by coolstoryangus
Lol you havent seen anyone with an engl, really?

True story man, I have never seen an ENGL in Northern Ireland.

Quote by MatrixClaw
Based on what fact? From your comments above, it doesn't seem like you've ever tried one, so how you can know it's great for metal is beyond me.

Personally, I would not touch a 3 channel Recto for metal ever again if I didn't have to. You'd be infinitely better off with a 5150, but I guess at £600, you could resell it for a profit if you don't like it

Mostly based on clips recorded with SM57s on YouTube and peoples opinions.

What exactly is wrong with the 3 channel?

Are 5150 cleans any good? I don't want a 1 trick pony amp.
Axe FX 2
Matrix GT1000FX
Mesa 4x12
Behringer FCB1010
Not trying to jack your thread but i've been curious about the differences as well. I use a Peavey Vypyr right now, but it seems like all the modeling equipment i try, i like the rectifier settings the best. It just has a certain tone about it i like a lot. I play more hard rock with metal elements than anything, but which would be the best for say...Breaking Benjamin, Shinedown, Alter Bridge type stuff? I think Mark Tremonti uses a Triple rec, but would that be the best option? Also, what would be best for heavy distorion but still get good/great cleans from? If anyone could help or PM me an answer, i would be greatly appreciative (sorry again for jacking your thread, seemed easier than making a new one)
Quote by La Qotsa
Mostly based on clips recorded with SM57s on YouTube and peoples opinions.

What exactly is wrong with the 3 channel?

Are 5150 cleans any good? I don't want a 1 trick pony amp.

I already gave you a detailed answer on this above. Just because the recordings of them sound good, does not necessarily mean they sound good live.

5150's cleans aren't amazing, but neither are the Rectos, they are definitely not a one trick pony. The 3 Channel Rectos certainly have better cleans than the 5150, but they're still not the greatest. If good cleans are what you're after, a Tremoverb or Roadster/Road King is a better choice in the Recto family, and literally any Engl or Framus will be much better than the Recto/5150 in the clean department.

Quote by shecter guy
Not trying to jack your thread but i've been curious about the differences as well. I use a Peavey Vypyr right now, but it seems like all the modeling equipment i try, i like the rectifier settings the best. It just has a certain tone about it i like a lot. I play more hard rock with metal elements than anything, but which would be the best for say...Breaking Benjamin, Shinedown, Alter Bridge type stuff? I think Mark Tremonti uses a Triple rec, but would that be the best option? Also, what would be best for heavy distorion but still get good/great cleans from? If anyone could help or PM me an answer, i would be greatly appreciative (sorry again for jacking your thread, seemed easier than making a new one)

Nearly all the amp modelers that simulate a Recto are simulating a 2 channel, not a 3 channel.

3 channels have a flubby lowend with a very little amount of clarity and a piercing, fizzy high end. They are also pretty underwhelming in the lead category. The 2 channel is pretty much the anti 3 channel.
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by MatrixClaw
I already gave you a detailed answer on this above. Just because the recordings of them sound good, does not necessarily mean they sound good live.

5150's cleans aren't amazing, but neither are the Rectos, they are definitely not a one trick pony. The 3 Channel Rectos certainly have better cleans than the 5150, but they're still not the greatest. If good cleans are what you're after, a Tremoverb or Roadster/Road King is a better choice in the Recto family, and literally any Engl or Framus will be much better than the Recto/5150 in the clean department.

Basically what I've been reading elsewhere is completely the opposite of what you say ... so it's hard to know what the **** to buy. I think the selling point for me is that people are saying the Mesa can cover more styles than a 5150/6505 ... and the general consensus is that Peavey are only good for flat out hi gain with lots of noise and hiss. When I compare 2 clips of these amps on YouTube recorded in high quality with an SM57 and the same cab (even though there's post processing involved) I like the Mesa better, I'm 90% sure about going with it, I'm just here for second opinions.

Also reading things like "Mesa destroys Peavey, go with it and you'll be happy forever." Seems to be quite a Coke and Pepsi dilemma.
Axe FX 2
Matrix GT1000FX
Mesa 4x12
Behringer FCB1010
There's definitely ENGL'S and peaveys in Belfast.

I can't for the love of god remember the name of the place but I think it's somewhere near the motorway. Beside a church I think. They're a peavey distributor and also house some ENGL's when I visited..

Out of curiosity why isn't the 6262 giving you a favourable metal tone?
Gear
Bugera 6262 Head
Harley Benton G212 Vintage
Ibanez RGA 121 Prestige
ESP LTD DJ600
Fender USA Stratecaster
Maxon O808
TC Electronic Flashback Delay
ISP Decimator
MXR 10 Band EQ
Boss T-U3 Tuner Pedal
Quote by Adam124
There's definitely ENGL'S and peaveys in Belfast.

I can't for the love of god remember the name of the place but I think it's somewhere near the motorway. Beside a church I think. They're a peavey distributor and also house some ENGL's when I visited..

Out of curiosity why isn't the 6262 giving you a favourable metal tone?

There's certainly 5150s everywhere in Belfast, but I've yet to see an ENGL, either in a shop or at a gig.

It came shipped with a faulty tube and I sent it back, seemed a good enough reason to rethink my amp choice.
Axe FX 2
Matrix GT1000FX
Mesa 4x12
Behringer FCB1010
Quote by La Qotsa
There's certainly 5150s everywhere in Belfast, but I've yet to see an ENGL, either in a shop or at a gig.

It came shipped with a faulty tube and I sent it back, seemed a good enough reason to rethink my amp choice.

Not really but ok..
Gear
Bugera 6262 Head
Harley Benton G212 Vintage
Ibanez RGA 121 Prestige
ESP LTD DJ600
Fender USA Stratecaster
Maxon O808
TC Electronic Flashback Delay
ISP Decimator
MXR 10 Band EQ
Boss T-U3 Tuner Pedal
Quote by Adam124
Not really but ok..

I hadn't taken the time to read through all the horror stories man.

Nah, but another factor is the cheap used Dual Rectifier up for sale ... otherwise I woulda probably went with a replacement Bugera 6262.
Axe FX 2
Matrix GT1000FX
Mesa 4x12
Behringer FCB1010
Dave_MC on these forums lives in Northern Ireland and owns an ENGL Savage, I believe.

Since you can get one for 600 pounds you could easily resell it for 300 more and make a tidy profit.

600 pounds is a great price, though.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Quote by La Qotsa
Basically what I've been reading elsewhere is completely the opposite of what you say ... so it's hard to know what the **** to buy. I think the selling point for me is that people are saying the Mesa can cover more styles than a 5150/6505 ... and the general consensus is that Peavey are only good for flat out hi gain with lots of noise and hiss. When I compare 2 clips of these amps on YouTube recorded in high quality with an SM57 and the same cab (even though there's post processing involved) I like the Mesa better, I'm 90% sure about going with it, I'm just here for second opinions.

Also reading things like "Mesa destroys Peavey, go with it and you'll be happy forever." Seems to be quite a Coke and Pepsi dilemma.

I have owned practically ever Mesa amp ever made, more than once, and have owned 7-8 of the 5150/5150 II/6505/6505+'s. I know far more people who are dissatisfied with 3 channel Rectos than any Peavey product. Don't get me wrong, they have their place, and hell, you might end up loving it, but I find it hard to believe that everything else you've read is the complete opposite of what I'm saying, unless what you're reading is from someone who just got their amp, or from someone who is inexperienced with trying many amps. It's pretty well regarded on the rest of the internet forums that the 3 channel Rectos are a significant downgrade compared to their 2 Channel counterparts.

As to anyone who says "Mesa destroys Peavey," I would be very weary of anything they say, because everything they're going to say is biased towards a brand they think is higher quality, because of the name and pricepoint. Don't get me wrong, I love Mesa and Peavey equally, both have amps I really like, and amps I don't particularly care for, but basing your own opinion on what other people say is never the right way to go about it. Try it out and form your own opinion.

At the price you're getting it for, though, I say go for the Mesa. You might end up loving it, and if you dislike it, then you can sell it for a significant profit, and buy an amp that actually suits your needs.
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by MatrixClaw

I have owned practically ever Mesa amp ever made, more than once, and have owned 7-8 of the 5150/5150 II/6505/6505+'s. I know far more people who are dissatisfied with 3 channel Rectos than any Peavey product. Don't get me wrong, they have their place, and hell, you might end up loving it, but I find it hard to believe that everything else you've read is the complete opposite of what I'm saying, unless what you're reading is from someone who just got their amp, or from someone who is inexperienced with trying many amps. It's pretty well regarded on the rest of the internet forums that the 3 channel Rectos are a significant downgrade compared to their 2 Channel counterparts.

As to anyone who says "Mesa destroys Peavey," I would be very weary of anything they say, because everything they're going to say is biased towards a brand they think is higher quality, because of the name and pricepoint. Don't get me wrong, I love Mesa and Peavey equally, both have amps I really like, and amps I don't particularly care for, but basing your own opinion on what other people say is never the right way to go about it. Try it out and form your own opinion.

At the price you're getting it for, though, I say go for the Mesa. You might end up loving it, and if you dislike it, then you can sell it for a significant profit, and buy an amp that actually suits your needs.

diezel destroys peavey.

but a snare drum is best.
Prs se Holcomb is the answer
Just to chime in on the what dual to get discussion; I have owned around 5 rectos from all eras(except the newest 2010 version) and while there are differences in the sound between the models, but not any major stuff I would care to much about. The comparisons are way too exaggerated.
Quote by Ola Englund
Just to chime in on the what dual to get discussion; I have owned around 5 rectos from all eras(except the newest 2010 version) and while there are differences in the sound between the models, but not any major stuff I would care to much about. The comparisons are way too exaggerated.

Hey you're fearedse on YouTube right? It's your videos I'm using as a reference. I did like the Dual Rectifier sound a lot better than your 5150/6150 videos.

Which revision of the Dual Recto did you play through on that video?
Axe FX 2
Matrix GT1000FX
Mesa 4x12
Behringer FCB1010
Quote by La Qotsa
Hey you're fearedse on YouTube right? It's your videos I'm using as a reference. I did like the Dual Rectifier sound a lot better than your 5150/6150 videos.

Which revision of the Dual Recto did you play through on that video?

Yes!

I was using the 3-ch recto.
Quote by Ola Englund
Yes!

I was using the 3-ch recto.

Then I'm sold ... it sounds great!
Axe FX 2
Matrix GT1000FX
Mesa 4x12
Behringer FCB1010
No offence but it sounds awesome because Ola is epic at mixing. I have a 3 channel and it sounds good, but my 2 channel is better. More clarity, and it sounds simply MASSIVE. If you want that Recto sound then get a 2 channel, if not get an ENGL
Tom Anderson Guitarworks

Mayones Guitars

Suhr Guitars

Mesa Boogie

Friedman Amplification

Fractal Audio Systems

Quote by Bladed-Vaults
*Bane voice* ahhh yes. The br00tz, I was born with it. Molded by it. I didnt know of the light until I was already a man.
Quote by shredftw
No offence but it sounds awesome because Ola is epic at mixing. I have a 3 channel and it sounds good, but my 2 channel is better. More clarity, and it sounds simply MASSIVE. If you want that Recto sound then get a 2 channel, if not get an ENGL

None taken! BUT my videos are mostly just a lowpass filter working. Surely the rest of the instruments are mixed. So while the song is mixed, the guitars in my videos aren't really.
Last edited by Ola Englund at Sep 26, 2011,
with that said I still wouldn't dwelve into the old vs. new debate. Using different power tubes will create a bigger difference in sound.
ive heard the new 3 channel (2010 model) sounds way better than the old 2ch , and have the perk of having 3 channels, and the 2ch amps are starting to get old now and may get electronic problems
Inspired by Ibanez RGA321F Prestige, Gibson Les Paul Standard