Page 2 of 2
Quote by GS LEAD 5
He said he had a low pass, which probably cut out the extra low end. Also, IIRC he used a roadster cab which has a V30 and a C90? Maybe that helped the sound a bit as compared to just a pair or quad of V30's?
And yeah, the point of modellers modelling the older 2 channel is correct.

actually the other way around. A low-pass filter keeps the lows and tames the highs.
My Roadster cab has two V30 speakers, but I'm still just mic'ing one of them.
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/images/icons/US1.gif
So I have V30s too ... just 4 of them, so it's likely going to sound very like that video, which is good!
Axe FX 2
Matrix GT1000FX
Mesa 4x12
Behringer FCB1010
Looks like I found a 2 channel for a great price too S/N = R010087 ... I assume I should go with it rather than the newer 3? (with multiwatt)
Axe FX 2
Matrix GT1000FX
Mesa 4x12
Behringer FCB1010
The Boogie dual rec, regardless of two channel or three.......Is simply the right hand of god. Before that amp design nothing came close. That particular sound has since disappeared in audio history and other companies have simply improved upon the design and perfected it. Just research bands that use the dual rec, the 5150, VHT, etc. If you find the particular sound you like, just go with that. They're all great hi-gain amps and could pretty much survive a nuclear holocaust. What's your taste?
I love all 5 (sold a couple) of my Carvin X-100b's.
Quote by zeek7pc
The Boogie dual rec, regardless of two channel or three.......Is simply the right hand of god. Before that amp design nothing came close. That particular sound has since disappeared in audio history and other companies have simply improved upon the design and perfected it. Just research bands that use the dual rec, the 5150, VHT, etc. If you find the particular sound you like, just go with that. They're all great hi-gain amps and could pretty much survive a nuclear holocaust. What's your taste?

SLO.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by zeek7pc

amen!
The only thing confusing me is the different revisions of the Dual Rectifier at this point, my mind is made up that I'm going Mesa ... just don't know which.

For example, will there be any differences whatsoever between a 2008 and 2009 Dual Rectifier?
Axe FX 2
Matrix GT1000FX
Mesa 4x12
Behringer FCB1010
Last edited by La Qotsa at Sep 27, 2011,
Nope, but the 2010 models are up there with the old 2ch models. Go for the 2ch though.

Want a great example of the 2ch tone? Nevermore's Enemies of Reality and Dead Heart...
Then there's this band called Slice The Cake...

Bunch of faggots putting random riffs together and calling it "progressive" deathcore.
Stupid name.
Probably picked "for teh lulz"

Mod in UG's Official Gain Whores
Last edited by Shinozoku at Sep 27, 2011,
Quote by coolstoryangus
Lol you havent seen anyone with an engl, really?

This
My gear-
Schecter C-1 Classic
Mesa Boogie 2 Ch. Dual Rectifier(blackface)
And some pedals

For sale Minty Ibanez RGA7 seven string with tour grade hsc $330+s/h or best offer!
PM me if interested

R.I.P Ashley S. Jean
I thought you wanted to sound like Meshuggah? Thats what you posted in previous threads of yours.
Get a line 6 vetta and be happy
My gear-
Schecter C-1 Classic
Mesa Boogie 2 Ch. Dual Rectifier(blackface)
And some pedals

For sale Minty Ibanez RGA7 seven string with tour grade hsc $330+s/h or best offer!
PM me if interested

R.I.P Ashley S. Jean
here my experience with rectos:

3ch before 2010:
could never dial one in even remotly close to a good sound, but when i see other bands use them live, my jaw drops. every time. they sound amazing in live situations IMO.

2010 dual recs:
never seen them being used live, but ive had the most luck dialing one of these in, again i havent heard one live so i dont know how it compares to the old 3ch in that sense.

2ch:
no experience.

roadster:
this is the one I want to one day own. the one i played sounded garbage but I suck at EQing mesas and it was pretty low volumes. so i call this one my fault. but also supposedly one of the best rectos in current production. Im probably going to buy one eventually too.

also please note, the mesas I have played for myself were not crancked like theyre meant to be, and I have never owned a mesa so again my Eqing skills for mesas suck. a good sounding recto is like my dream tone too, so for me I deff want to like them but thats my experience.

having never played or heard a 2ch recto, Id take the roadster or a 2010 dual rec if possible. again, i dont know how the 2chs compare, but thats just from what ive experienced.
Quote by slipknot_420
I thought you wanted to sound like Meshuggah? Thats what you posted in previous threads of yours.
Get a line 6 vetta and be happy

Sounding "like" Meshuggah and actually buying their gear are 2 completely different things in my eyes ...

Regardless, I've fallen in love with the Dual Rec tone.
Axe FX 2
Matrix GT1000FX
Mesa 4x12
Behringer FCB1010
Quote by La Qotsa
The only thing confusing me is the different revisions of the Dual Rectifier at this point, my mind is made up that I'm going Mesa ... just don't know which.

For example, will there be any differences whatsoever between a 2008 and 2009 Dual Rectifier?

No difference between 2008 and '09.

The only major differences, once you're dealing with Dual Rectifier Solo heads, will be between the two-channel, three channel and the new 2010 heads.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
I'm gonna apologize in advance for my noobiness, please don't flame. :/

So let me get this straight, if I can't get my hands on a 3 channel multiwatt, I should DEFINITELY go 2 channel rather than regular 3 channel? Is there really THAT much of a difference?
Axe FX 2
Matrix GT1000FX
Mesa 4x12
Behringer FCB1010
Quote by La Qotsa
I'm gonna apologize in advance for my noobiness, please don't flame. :/

So let me get this straight, if I can't get my hands on a 3 channel multiwatt, I should DEFINITELY go 2 channel rather than regular 3 channel? Is there really THAT much of a difference?

Yes.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
I have a 2 channel Recto and a Roadster. I've also owned a Rackto and have played through some others that belonged to friends.

IMO, the differences are largely overstated. There are slight differences, but at the end of the day they all sound like Rectos.

There's a reason Ola can take a "loose, fizzy, flubby" 3 channel and play super tight riffs that melt faces. It's called practice.

FWIW, I like my Roadster better than my 2 channel.
Quote by some_dude_2
IMO, the differences are largely overstated. There are slight differences, but at the end of the day they all sound like Rectos.

I've owned at least 14 amps from the Recto family, including multiples of most of them, which include the 2 channel Dual and Triple, a Single Recto, a 3 channel Dual and Triple Recto, a Racktifier, a Trem-O-Verb, and a Road King - And to me, there is absolutely no comparison between a 2 and 3 channel Recto.

The sound difference is huge, and if you can't hear it, then your 2 channel is broken.

Sure, you might be able to get similar sounds with a 3 channel, with the right tubes, cab, guitar, pickups and settings, but the 2 channels are nearly instant gratification in comparison. The 2 channel is just a great sounding amp, period, the 3 channel can be.

Granted, I have not tried the new 3 channels, so I can't speak as to how they sound compared to the 2 channels - I've heard they're much better than their predecessor - But I'm certainly not jumping to try one from the sounds I've heard come out of the earlier 3 channels
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
Last edited by MatrixClaw at Oct 1, 2011,
Quote by MatrixClaw
I've owned at least 14 amps from the Recto family, including multiples of most of them, which include the 2 channel Dual and Triple, a Single Recto, a 3 channel Dual and Triple Recto, a Racktifier, a Trem-O-Verb, and a Road King - And to me, there is absolutely no comparison between a 2 and 3 channel Recto.

The sound difference is huge, and if you can't hear it, then your 2 channel is broken.

Sure, you might be able to get similar sounds with a 3 channel, with the right tubes, cab, guitar, pickups and settings, but the 2 channels are nearly instant gratification in comparison. The 2 channel is just a great sounding amp, period, the 3 channel can be.

I can hear it... I just think most people overstate it.

There's lots of people making good music on a 3 channel. Just because it doesn't work for you doesn't mean it isn't perfect for someone else.
Last edited by some_dude_2 at Oct 1, 2011,
Quote by MatrixClaw

Granted, I have not tried the new 3 channels, so I can't speak as to how they sound compared to the 2 channels - I've heard they're much better than their predecessor - But I'm certainly not jumping to try one from the sounds I've heard come out of the earlier 3 channels

You should. They're a lot more clear, with more note definition than the older models.

Off topic, but w/e: What are your thoughts on the Road King? Do you have experience with the Series II, or just the first one?
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by some_dude_2
There's lots of people making good music on a 3 channel. Just because it doesn't work for you doesn't mean it isn't perfect for someone else.

I never said it isn't perfect for someone else. I have heard some great tones out of the 3 channel Rectos, especially for hard rock purposes, if you want a HUGE tone, but don't necessarily need a ton of single note definition, the 3 channel is better in that regard, but when you're faced with the fact that they sell for more than the 2 channels, the 2 channel is always the safer choice for metal.

In the case of the TS, the price he'd be getting the 3 channel at is very low, especially for Europe, so even if he didn't like it, he could easily flip it for a profit.

Quote by Offworld92
You should. They're a lot more clear, with more note definition than the older models.

Off topic, but w/e: What are your thoughts on the Road King? Do you have experience with the Series II, or just the first one?

It's not really that I've made it a point to not try the new 3 channels, just that the only store that carries Mesa close to me is a Guitar Center I never go to, because the employees are worthless. I'd definitely like to try one to see if it lives up to the hype, but every time I go into that store, none of the Mesa amps are even hooked up, there's no cables to be found to do it myself (they zip-tie all the cables to the displays) and the employees are too busy talking to each other to help.

The Road King is a cool amp, I've had both. The RKII has better cleans and low gain, though the RKI is no slouch in that department either. IMO, the RKI has better high gain channels, it's a bit more aggressive, whereas the RKII is smoother. It is more difficult to EQ, similar to a 3 channel Recto, but not quite as finicky. I really liked the flexibility of the Progressive Linkage; the switchable output tubes, and selectable speaker outputs for each channel are really cool features. FWIW, I traded my RKI combo for a Diezel Einstein 100 head, and I thought the RK sounded much better, had it not been for the significant value difference between the two, and the fact that I had to drive an hour and a half to get the Diezel, I would have kept the RK.
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
Well, I certainly have learned something
Gear: Warmoth Soloist / Hondo Acou. / Ibanez AS73

Hardwire TL-2 / Boss GE-7 / Electro Harmonix Small Stone Nano / Boss DD-3 / MXR Smart Gate / Ibanez TS9 / Unknown Tremolo

Bugera V55 / Home Made Cab w/ Celestion Speakers G12M & G12T
Page 2 of 2