I didn't want to make this a "vs" thread per say, because they have been done a million times ... but the only 8 string pickups I have tried out so far are the EMG808s and I was wondering how much better the Blackouts are for Djenty stuff?

Here in Northern Ireland, guitar shops are extremely shitty ... we don't even have any 8 strings in stock nevermind 8 string pickups, so trying them out myself is simply not an option, at least not without buying both.
Axe FX 2
Matrix GT1000FX
Mesa 4x12
Behringer FCB1010
Quote by ampoverload

I'd already listened to this before I posted this thread, his gear will differ quite a bit from mine so the sound won't be exactly the same as that. I was asking more for opinions than soundclips.
Axe FX 2
Matrix GT1000FX
Mesa 4x12
Behringer FCB1010
The Blackouts probably wont be a good alternative if you want to sound djent since it has a lot of mids. I would place my bet on a passive 8-string pickup. How about aftermaths?
Though Marty usually uses humbuckers, he can probably do you an EMG. I would recommend 808's to be honest: they are very good 8 string pickups, and there isn't much competition for them in the 8 string market.
they're coming to take me away
ha-haaa
Whatever you go with, actives will be your best bet. From what I've read/been told, the frequencies(?) are more even across every string, whereas with passives you low F# and B may be a bit muddy/gross.
Caution:
This post may contain my opinion and/or inaccurate information.

Current Rig:
2006 PRS CE-24
Mesa/Boogie Mark V
Voltage S212 w/ V30's
Strymon Timeline
CMATMods Signa Drive
TC Electronics Corona & Hall of Fame
Between the Blackouts and the 808... I prefer the 808. The Blackouts from what I've heard from both reviews and soundclips have way too much output. That 'djent' tone, if that's what you're really after, doesn't use heavy gain at all and is rather mid-heavy.

Though I'm going to replace my 808s with 808Xs soon because I love the sound of the X series. EMG808s are very versatile and can do a lot if you sculpt its sound properly.
Ibanez RG2228 w/ EMG808Xs | Line 6 POD HD500 | Mackie HD1221
Quote by Ola Englund
The Blackouts probably wont be a good alternative if you want to sound djent since it has a lot of mids. I would place my bet on a passive 8-string pickup. How about aftermaths?

Hmmm, is that really you?
Quote by Ola Englund

Maybe a bit pricey for me. :/
Axe FX 2
Matrix GT1000FX
Mesa 4x12
Behringer FCB1010
Quote by ampoverload
Hmmm, is that really you?

what do you want me to say? or do?
Give a shoutout to UG on your next video
Then there's this band called Slice The Cake...

Bunch of faggots putting random riffs together and calling it "progressive" deathcore.
Stupid name.
Probably picked "for teh lulz"

Mod in UG's Official Gain Whores
Quote by Ola Englund
I need a UG-tshirt... are there any?

Post a facebook status about the UG. If its you then thats awesome, but I know people have been stealing your music, the next step for them would be to pose as you.
Quote by ampoverload
Post a facebook status about the UG. If its you then thats awesome, but I know people have been stealing your music, the next step for them would be to pose as you.

done...
Quote by Ola Englund
done...

Awesome, was just makin sure, i didnt want to a give poser/wannabe any attention.

BTW, the force of the UG got that guy reported (the one whole stole your music) and they took down those songs.
A simple check on his first posts here would have shown him pulling my leg on the 7 and 8-string thread, and followers of Ola's know he's a friend of mine. I know that a fake could come from someone who follow both Ola and I, but that is just a tad farfetched!
Quote by Fred the Shred
A simple check on his first posts here would have shown him pulling my leg on the 7 and 8-string thread, and followers of Ola's know he's a friend of mine. I know that a fake could come from someone who follow both Ola and I, but that is just a tad farfetched!

who knows maybe I'm just copying "him" TO well?!?!
I reckon it's just Fred. Multiple accounts is against the rules dude, I should report you!

. . ▄████▄ . ▄███▄
. █████████▀ . . . . . . . . . . . . ▄▄
.███▌█|█|█|█|█|█|█|█|█|█▐███▄▄
. ████████▄ . . . . . . . . . . . . . º º º º º º º
. . ▀████▀. ▀██▀
If you need an endorsement for 8 string EMGs, I have two words for you - Tosin Abasi
Gear:
Electric
2008 Epiphone G400 Heritage CherryFUBAR
2008 Ibanez GRG 170 DX
2009 Cort KX1Q
2011 LTD H 351 NT
Randall RG 50 TC
Ernie Ball 11-54
Acoustic
Dean Markley
Dunlop 10's
Quote by Ola Englund
who knows maybe I'm just copying "him" TO well?!?!

Let us not resume the bum brotherhood theme...

Quote by VVolverin3
I reckon it's just Fred. Multiple accounts is against the rules dude, I should report you!

..said the yellow spandex dude.
Last edited by Fred the Shred at Sep 29, 2011,