Can anyone give me any recommendations for a low wattage tube amp?
I was pretty set on a blackstar HT-1R, but then I started reading about the especially low clean headroom on 1 watt amps.
I currently have an Ibanez RGA42, going into a Line 6 Spider III 15 and I mainly use a metal muff or big muff.
The HT-1R was perfect since I always play at low volumes and perfect for my price range ~£150. I realise it's going to be hard to find a decent tube amp for this price.
If I wait until christmas I might be able to get something for ~£300

So my questions are:
- Will I notice the low clean headroom on the HT-1R (considering the pickups on my RGA42 are really hot, I find it hard to get good clean sounds through my spider when the volume is on 1/10)?
- Can anyone recommend some low watt tube amps that will give me some good clean headroom?
- Is 1 watt loud? If I have a 1W amp on max will I, for example, be able to hear my guitar strings?
The VHT Special 6 combo is worth a look at too, but its 6 watts and a little over your price range.
1 Watt can be loud, it depends on the speaker, with a 1x12 cab and a good speaker it can put about 100 db or more, and that is loud.
Clean headroom is really not much, but clean distortion on the spider is because of the high input sensitivity and it overdrives the input, it has nothing to do with wattage. (but you have to learn to use your volume pot).

I won't recommend you and amp, because i will be trolled for my opinion and nobody likes trolls.
Wattage = headroom. Thus low watt amps do not have clean headroom. In fact the wattage has far more to do with the headroom than it does the volume of the actual amp. Each time you double the wattage of an amp you only get about 3db of volume. Meaning there's 6db volume difference between 25 watts and 100. That's not much.

Also to be honest with you it doesn't sound like a tube amp is the right answer for you. You'd have much more success with a modeling amp or even an interface into your computer and something like guitar rig.
HT1 or HT5 are awesome as combos, and the great thing is they are available in head versions and can be run through many different cabs (like 4x12's etc.)
The VHT Special 6 combo is worth a look at too, but its 6 watts and a little over your price range.

That looks really good actually. It's about £150 so right in my price range. Do you have any experience with it, since I won't be able to try it before I buy because there's no dealer near me.

HT1 or HT5 are awesome as combos, and the great thing is they are available in head versions and can be run through many different cabs (like 4x12's etc.)

I won't be using an extra cab or speaker with there's no point me getting a head at the moment.

Wattage = headroom. Thus low watt amps do not have clean headroom. In fact the wattage has far more to do with the headroom than it does the volume of the actual amp. Each time you double the wattage of an amp you only get about 3db of volume. Meaning there's 6db volume difference between 25 watts and 100. That's not much.

Ah ok thanks for clearing that up.

Also to be honest with you it doesn't sound like a tube amp is the right answer for you. You'd have much more success with a modeling amp or even an interface into your computer and something like guitar rig.

I'm not sure what would make you assume that. Because I only play in my bedroom I don't need a good sounding amp?

I have to admit i never understood this tube amp fetish.

I want better tone!
Quote by icronic

Remember, decibels are a logarithmic scale. A 6db difference is more than you might think.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Decibel
Quote by JozefLG
I'm not sure what would make you assume that. Because I only play in my bedroom I don't need a good sounding amp?

I want better tone!

Well here's the thing... Bedroom volume is open to interpretation. For some it's just loud enough that you can hear it in the room you're playing in but not loud enough to bother anyone in the house. From there you move on to loud enough to bother people in the house, but not loud enough to bother the neighbors. Finally, loud enough to cause the neighbors to knock on the door if you play for too long.

If you're looking to play at a volume that isn't likely to disturb people in the house then a tube amp actually won't be a good sounding amp. Modeling amps or even software like Guitar Rig simulate things like the cab and the air it's pushing, so generally speaking at low practice volumes they'll sound better and more importantly feel better to play at super low volumes.

Plus at the price you're willing to pay you're going to get a better sounding modeling amp (not to mention more reliable) than you would a tube amp.

If you're going to play loud enough that it might disturb the people around you then don't worry about wattage. I play my Mesas at 100watts at a moderately loud bedroom volume.. And in all honestly I think they sound better at 100 watts then 5 or 50 watts regardless of how quietly I play them...

Quote by AshersUK
Remember, decibels are a logarithmic scale. A 6db difference is more than you might think.

Yeah I'll grant you that. But I've used a 5 watt amp in a noisy room with about 750 people unmiced and I still had volume to spare. No headroom, but plenty of volume. So yeah, I was misleading, but the point was, to a guitarist those 6 extra db you get between 25 watts and 100 watts won't make all that much of a difference while the massive difference in headroom does.