14 52%
Fender 50's Reissue Precision £550
4 15%
Roger Waters Signature Fender Precision - £550
6 22%
Matt Freeman Signature Squier Precision + mods - £500ish
3 11%
Voters: 27.
Just asking for opinions for the time being. I want a passive Fender Precision with a maple neck. Each of these have their pros and cons and they obviously play very similar to each other. My budget is around £500.

Edit: OI, no voting without commenting you bum.
Last edited by Spaz91 at Sep 25, 2011,
I'm torn in my vote between the Standard and 50's RI. They have different pups, and the 50's comes in Fiesta Red, but it has that god awful gold anodized pickguard. The Standard is just fine as long as you don't get a lemon, but your color choices are kind of meh. The Roger Waters looks nice though if you're fine with the blacked-out look and the gloss neck finish Fender's site says it has.

Knowing you, you'll go through all of them eventually.
Composite Aficionado

Spector and Markbass
Funny I see this here, I just bought an inexpensive used Squier Affinity P Bass yesterday, and I've been playing it a ton. My vote towards the Standard. I know it would be my pick of the bunch, if I had the choice.
The Matt Freeman Sig is the smart move, I know, but there's something about having "Fender" written on the headstock.

I have to admit I'm leaning towards the 50's RI or RW Sig, they both have better pickups than the standard but both of them will need a few mods to make them less fugly (i.e. tort pickguard for the RI, chrome hardware for the Waters, high mass bridges for both.)
I would skip on the sigs. They tend to be over priced just for an artists name.

I own a standard and it is by far my favorite bass, especially with flatwounds.
You can grab the standard and throw a bad ass on there, or you can grab a used highway 1 which will have your high mass bridge.
Quote by FatalGear41
In the end, the only question is: what bass would Jesus play?

I think he's a Fender Jazz guy.
Are you buying blind on this one, or going in-store to make sure you get a good one?

And the most important question: what colors are you considering?
Composite Aficionado

Spector and Markbass
Sunburst, black, white and fiesta red are the only choices, obviously.

Very high chance that I'll be buying it off the internet, in some cases the difference comes near to a hundred pounds and I'll be a poor student as of Tuesday.
Quote by Spaz91
Sunburst, black, white and fiesta red are the only choices, obviously.

There's LPB too...
Composite Aficionado

Spector and Markbass
Roger Waters sig.
Soundwise and stuff, it all doesn't matter. It's sexy as hell.
I do like them thar TeleP's
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
I'd get a MM Stingray
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
i'v put time in on all of them except for the matt freeman sig (not hating just never seen one). Personally I like the standard the most. The sig models are overpriced to me and i just didn't like the feel of the 50s P.
Strauss!
"I am hitting my head against the walls, but the walls are giving way." - Gustav Mahler.

Quote by AeolianWolf
absolutely what will said

Yay, my first compliment!
Get the Roger Waters P-Bass. It looks great and I need someone to try it for a while and let me know if it is worth picking one up.

"Maybe this world is another planet's hell?" - Aldous Huxley
As much as the Roger Waters signature may be good (and very attractive!), there is the whole "Paying extra for the name" issue, even if it is a good price for a sig.

Personally I'd say either the standard or the 50s RI.
Though if your budget is around the £500 mark, you could get a Fender standard P and use the cash leftover to upgrade whatever you'd want to improve, could end up being the best thing possible in your budget.

But if you're willing to go used you could get a higher end Mexican Fender, or possibly an American Fender for that price.

Unless of course you're willing to go used.
I clicked the 50's bass forgetting that guard. Man I'd kill right now for a Lake placid blue standard with a maple neck and a good bright red tort guard with some covers and flatwounds
I'd say a Standard P in Sunburst.
Damn it! Disable can't use disable to disable Disable's disable because disable's disable has already been disabled by Disable's disable!
Quote by Tostitos
There's LPB too...

Yeah, maybe if you prefer men.

Quote by shmbluh12
Roger Waters sig.
Soundwise and stuff, it all doesn't matter. It's sexy as hell.

tru dat y'all. I'd have to swap the hardware for chrome though, black hardware is a little naff.

Quote by ChemicalFire
I do like them thar TeleP's

Me too but the pickup replacement would be far too expensive.

Quote by Robbgnarly
I'd get a MM Stingray

Congratulations.

Quote by will42
i'v put time in on all of them except for the matt freeman sig (not hating just never seen one). Personally I like the standard the most. The sig models are overpriced to me and i just didn't like the feel of the 50s P.

How did the RW and RI's necks compare to the standard?

Quote by Punk_Ninja
As much as the Roger Waters signature may be good (and very attractive!), there is the whole "Paying extra for the name" issue, even if it is a good price for a sig.

Personally I'd say either the standard or the 50s RI.
Though if your budget is around the £500 mark, you could get a Fender standard P and use the cash leftover to upgrade whatever you'd want to improve, could end up being the best thing possible in your budget.

But if you're willing to go used you could get a higher end Mexican Fender, or possibly an American Fender for that price.

Unless of course you're willing to go used.

The Roger Waters has some pretty nice features, a 1/4lb pickup and a brass nut, and it's only £30 more expensive than the 2011 Standards (my £450 price is based on places that still have 2009s in stock.)

A second hand MIA Precision would be ideal if I could find on just right.

Quote by Ippon
Duff McKagan P Bass for the P and J PU combo or the Aerodyne Jazz Bass with the P and J combo, too. Both are in the range of the '50s Precision and Roger Waters.

The Aerodyne is £750 and the McKagan sig is £850, both have rosewood necks.

Quote by dark Mass
I'd say a Standard P in Sunburst.

Its probably going to be this (or a white one) with a Dimarzio Model P and a bridge upgrade.
Quote by Spaz91

Its probably going to be this (or a white one) with a Dimarzio Model P and a bridge upgrade.

Add a tort pickguard and you are set.
Damn it! Disable can't use disable to disable Disable's disable because disable's disable has already been disabled by Disable's disable!
Quote by dark Mass
Add a tort pickguard and you are set.

Quote by rageahol
With flats.

Both these things were too obvious to mention.

Welp, this is my last night with internet access for a while so I better decide.

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmshit. I have slung so much shit at them yet here I am, about to buy one. The MIM Fender Standard wins! It will of course have its godawful pickup replaced and the same with its even more godawful bridge. A tort pickguard + a set of bright flatwounds should be reet.

Ta to everyone who made helpful comments.
Last edited by Spaz91 at Sep 26, 2011,