Aloha guitar brothers!

In an effort to increase the volume of my Marchall Class 5 amp whilst still keeping the clean, I figured I would just slave my old Fender Ultra Chorus ('96), bypass the Fender's preamp/effects and basically just ***** out it's 2x12's. It's always sounded great, it just didn't have the tone I wanted.

The class 5, with it's amazing tone, has a 1/4 jack on the back of it with a two position selector switch for either "headphones" or "Extension Speaker Output Jack 16Ω." After reading the Ultra Chorus manual it appeared that I could easily bypass the preamp of the Fender using the Mono effects loop input/output so I figured I was good to go.

Well...I was in the guitar store yesterday and happened to mention to the salesman what I was going to do with the amps and he began looking at me like I was an idiot on fire! He started going off about how the Marshall's jack is a line out and a line out is different from this and that and nothing he was saying sounded right or was making any sense. Well I'm no electrical engineer and I figured if the guy works with guitars and amps for a living, which I don't, that he obviously knows more than me, but I still don't understand why/why not doing this will/won't work? Now, I am really concerned that I will damage the amps if I do it but before I give up hope and go buy a half stack I thought I would turn to all of you for some help...Thanks!

Class 5 Manual:
http://www.americanmusical.com/ItemFiles/Manual/MAR_CLASS5_Manual.pdf

Fender Ultra/Ultimate Chorus Manual:
http://support.fender.com/manuals/guitar_amplifiers/Ultimate_Chorus_manual.pdf
To make sure I understand this correctly, you want to go out the Marshall Extension Speaker Output and into the Fender's mono effects return? I'm not sure if that would work, but it's certainly not what it's designed for. Even if signal does pass, you will probably need an impedance matching device, as the output of that Marshall jack is low-Z and the Ultra Chorus is designed for high-z signals, and a mismatch will produce a lot of unwanted noise. A reamp box is perfect for this.

Another option, though not bypassing the Fender's preamp, is to use input 2 on the Fender rather than the effects return. According to the manual, that jack is designed for low-z signal that's already been amplified (in this case by your Marshall). Then it's just a matter of proper gain staging to get the sound you want. Note that this will physically work (i.e. not damage anything), but since the Ultra Chorus is not a cab you may not get as clean a Marshall sound as you want, you'll have a hybrid (again, depending on the gain staging).
Gear
  • 2004 Am. Strat
  • 2004 Mex. Tele
  • 2005 Esteve Classical

• Vox Valvetronix AD15VT w/ foot switch

• Vox 847
  • EH Stereo Polychorus
  • Ibanez TS-808
  • EH Big Muff Germanium 4
  • EH Small Clone
  • EH Small Stone (USA Ver 2)
  • EH LPB-1
  • PlusEBow
Yeah, that's exactly what I was wanting to do. I have NO experience with 4x12 cabinets so I figured well if this thing can power a 4x12, then it can easily slave my 2x12? The Fender's manual says this about the FX loop:

"MONO FX RETURN- This unbalanced jack inputs signal
to the stereo chorus generating circuitry, which
drives the stereo power amp section. It automatically
disconnects the preamp and reverb circuitry when
used. This is useful when using the MONO FX option
or when using the ULTIMATE CHORUS as a slave
amplifier for a mono signal source. The CHORUS is
active in the slave so that a stereo image will be generated
if it is used."

This sounds exactly like what I was going to do, and would have done - if the guy at the store didn't lead me to think the amp was going to explode if I did it.
Quote by Dheck311
The class 5, with it's amazing tone, has a 1/4 jack on the back of it with a two position selector switch for either "headphones" or "Extension Speaker Output Jack 16Ω." After reading the Ultra Chorus manual it appeared that I could easily bypass the preamp of the Fender using the Mono effects loop input/output so I figured I was good to go.

that is the kinda the way it goes. if you wanna use the fender as the slave amp, you'd plug the signal into the 'return' on the effects loop. this will bypass the preamp section on the fender and just utilize the power section.

just to clarify, you would want to switch the marshall over to 'headphone' mode. run a 1/4" balanced to 1/4" unbalanced converter out the marshall's headphone out and run a patch cord from the converter to the fender's mono effects in.

you won't want to use the speaker out on the marshall, it can and will damage the fender running it either through regular input or the effect loop in.

thx for posting the manuals.

Quote by ns9977a
Another option, though not bypassing the Fender's preamp, is to use input 2 on the Fender rather than the effects return. According to the manual, that jack is designed for low-z signal that's already been amplified (in this case by your Marshall

this is not good. first off, you can't run guitar amp A's speaker out into guitar amp B's input. you'd want to bypass the fender's preamp anyway, it will sound better. i see nothing in the manual with your claim.

Quote by ns9977a
Then it's just a matter of proper gain staging to get the sound you want. Note that this will physically work (i.e. not damage anything),

if you use the marshall's speaker out signal, then you will damage things

Quote by TS
This sounds exactly like what I was going to do, and would have done - if the guy at the store didn't lead me to think the amp was going to explode if I did it.

he is a moron. just don't use the marshall's speaker out, use the marshall's headphone out into the fender's mono return.
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
Last edited by gumbilicious at Sep 25, 2011,
Thanks Everyone! Sounds like gumbilicious knows what he's talking about so I will have a go at it. I'm going to get on Guitar Centers website first and extend the warranty on the Class 5, just in case...