okay, this is gonna be a little long, but bear with me.
This idea hit me today while playing on my pentatonic scale. I can mute properly, and i realized that i could use my first finger to bar the strings above a piece of a pattern that i am playing. Then, i only need to use my 2, 3 and 4 finger to hit the 3-5 notes of the little "Chunk" that i am playing. this allows my to break a pattern down even more, while also giving me a specific way to play certain pieces of the scale, as well as being able to play cleaner, faster, and hit 2 notes at the same time easily for that biting effect. Well, after this, i thought that this would be the new way for me to play, but, as i always do, i need to ask other guitarists oppinions first.
Is this how you play? also, is this a bad way to play? thanks all
I don't really understand what you're trying to say. You haven't really stumbled upon anything, tbh.
It is ok to do as you want to.

When it comes to fingering everything is relative, there are no patterns do what you want, if you can play a thing perfectly using your desired fingering tht's ok and go with it
Quote by Freepower
I'm not sure I follow you - is your first finger fretting or does it just mute?

I think TS is trying to say he's barring his index finger and using his other fingers to play the other notes in the patterns.
Quote by triface
I think TS is trying to say he's barring his index finger and using his other fingers to play the other notes in the patterns.

This is how I understood it as well.

Generally I wouldn't advice you to play diatonic scales in this manner, but you can definitely do this with pentatonics and it can be of advantage especially if you want that sound.
E:-6
B:-0
G:-5
D:-6
A:-0
E:-3