Someone who writes fairly "different" sounding music that only really gets listened to by musicians because they're interested in their style and how they go about making it. Although I also equate a "musicians musician" with someone who actively helps his followers understand and be able to replicate his music.

So, basically Misha Mansoor is a musician's musician.
The Pixies, Captain Beefheart, The Smiths, The Beatles, Fugazi. Like, stuff critics like?

Maybe a musicians musician is someone with an eye for detail or technicality that a non-initiated listener may not understand?

To quote John Petrucci, on "Eruption" " "there's no way that's a guitar!" ... But now you say, yeah that's a Phase 90 and he's tapping - it's clear as day."
A musicians musician is as previously stated a musician with little mainstream appeal, and thoe that listen to that musician generally are musicians. I have always considered Guthrie one of them, Dev likeswise, as with the guys in Nevermore.

In short, they play "difficult" music, that you generally would need some sort of musical knowledge to appreciate.
Avante-Garde. Innovative.

It doesn't need to be blazing fast metal, or warm and mellow blues. It can be anything, as long as it is unique.
Pretentious asshattery at it's finest
~don't finkdinkle when ur supposed to be dimpdickin~
well, there are 3 types of musicians.

the people's musician - aims to play to as wide of an audience as possible, even if that means sacrificing artistic vision and selling out. this is not always the case though, since sometimes the music that the artist wants to make just naturally appeals to the masses. basically music that the average person with no musical background can enjoy. pop, trendcore, mainstream rock, swing jazz, classic rock, disco, house, punk, soul, RnB, smooth jazz, blues, funk, reggae, country, etc.

the musician's musician - writes music that takes a bit more to appreciate, generally appeals more to musicians than the average person, but still sometimes to non musicians. these musicians would rather play 1000 notes for 10 people than 10 notes for 1000 people, and so sacrifice mainstream appeal for more artistic freedom. prog metal, art rock, hard bop, extreme metal, instrumental shred, post rock, ambient, bluegrass, IDnB, etc.

the artist's musician - mainly for musicians, but not all musicians. write music that sacrifices mass appeal almost entirely, but gets total artistic freedom. requires an interest in the technical and artistic sides of music to thoroughly enjoy. experimentation very common. jazz fusion, modal jazz, 20th century "classical" music, technical death metal, avant garde metal, drone, noise, minimalist music, etc.

the nobody's musician - not even for musicians. nobody in their right mind would listen to these "artists." coincidentally though, i do. free jazz, whatever the **** Mick Barr plays.
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
Quote by theogonia777
the nobody's musician - not even for musicians. nobody in their right mind would listen to these "artists." coincidentally though, i do. free jazz, whatever the **** Mick Barr plays.

Like Nick Cave and everyone in his band.
~don't finkdinkle when ur supposed to be dimpdickin~
Quote by Primus2112
Like Nick Cave and everyone in his band.

i suppose, if you consider Nick Cave to be music by some stretch of the imagination.
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
Someone who can play guitar at a party without being called a cunt.
Somebody who plays for other musicians only to get shit on because of a lack of technicality and/or feeling.
Quote by Blargaha
A musicians musician is as previously stated a musician with little mainstream appeal, and those that listen to that musician generally are musicians.

Pretty much.
Someone I wouldn't enjoy listening to

Stuff that is "good" technically, but may or may not be entertaining. +1 for Guthrie Govan. He's good, but boring to me because I'm not into all the "musician" things (why am I even on UG anymore?).