Hey everyone, my band director wants me to come up with a list of some good jazz amps for guitar and for bass. Our amps at the school dont really cut it anymore so we need some new ones. I would prefer a tube amp, and with a great clean sound, not dirty. An overdrive channel would be nice too. If you want to recommend a head and cab combo that would be great too. A nice bass amp would be awesome too. Thanks a bunch.

Also, the guitar is an Epiphone hollow body, if that makes any difference in your decision :P
Try a Fender Twin Reverb. It is the standard for clean tube amps, and a great amp all around.
"Maybe this world is another planet's hell?" - Aldous Huxley
Quote by FatalGear41
Try a Fender Twin Reverb. It is the standard for clean tube amps, and a great amp all around.

This x eleventy
Call me Justyn

╠═══════╬═══════╣
τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ
╠═══════╬═══════╣
Or try a Roland jc-120.
Guitars: Fender FSR Standard Strat, Squire Affinity Strat, Epiphone Nighthawk
Amps: Vox AC15C1, Roland Cube 15x, Peavey KB-1
Pedals: Digitech RP355, HD500, Joyo AC-Tone, EHX Soul Food
The same thing came to my mind immediately as well re: Fender Twins.

Some alternative possibilities that aren't "jazz amps" per se, but pretty versatile tube amps with nice clean sounds and the ability to tap into some natural warmth and honk that is often desired in jazz guitar, would be the Mesa Boogie Lonestar Classic and Dr Z EZG-50, both of which are somewhat meant to be like a Fender Blackface.

Not exactly cheap amps though - I believe an EZG-50 head is well over 2000 bucks. But I've played through someone else's EZG-50 many times and gotten pretty warm jazz tones with the bass knob all the way down, the mids boosted, and the treble moderately rolled off.
Last edited by Brainpolice2 at Sep 25, 2011,
Roland cubes as well as fender amps are good for jazz. I personally play a Hot rod Deluxe, which suits my needs, and would definitely recommend it.
My Gear:
Gibson Faded Flying V
"Dante's Inferno" Iceman
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe 112
etc.

Quote by freedoms_stain
I can't imagine anything worse than shagging to Mark Knopfler.

Maybe shagging Mark Knopfler, but that's about it.
Roland Jazz Chorus

Seems obvious. You'd need a pedal if you want nice sounding drive though.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
evans amps are awesome, but really, any versatile tube amp with a good clean will probably due you better if you want to play stuff (jazz or otherwise) written after 1960.
all the best.
(insert self-aggrandizing quote here)
Quote by tehREALcaptain
evans amps are awesome, but really, any versatile tube amp with a good clean will probably due you better if you want to play stuff (jazz or otherwise) written after 1960.

And the evans amps don't? How are tube amps better at 1960's and later?
Quote by curlyhead_P
Anything that says Fender and has tubes.

I don' think a Champ would cut it
Those evan's amps sound rad. The Jazz Chorus' have some great cleans and sound awesome for jazz guitar. They can be picked up pretty cheaply too.
Guitar:
Roland JC-120
Fender Twin Reverb
Fender Deluxe Reverb

Bass:
GK 700RB-II
GK 1001RB-II
with an agular cab.

those are probably the best choices.
Guitars:
Gibson SG Standard with Bigsby
Gibson Custom ES-137
Gibson Custom 54' Les Paul VOS Goldtop
Gretsch G6129T Silver Jet
1968 Harmony Rocket H75

Amps:
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe (modded)
1970 Fender Twin Reverb (blackfaced)

Quote by ticktockboom
I don' think a Champ would cut it

Stick a mic in front of it and it would be a fine jazz amp.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
What's your budget?

A Peavey Classic 30 will do in a pinch for guitar.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Roland JC was the first thing that came to my mind, and yeah a lot of fender amps. Also if its for school, The Randall MTS series has the modules which are interchangeable which could be a plus. Then again no tubes, but I dont always miss them in clean channels. Orange is nice for versatility. In fact I really like Orange through single coils or soapbars...anything low output. In my experience at least. I havent played any new Carvin's but an old xb at our practice space is a friends primary amp and it really does sound good. I dont have a lot of experience with cabs and speakers but when I changed out whatever came in my cab for vintage 30's I was very happy all around. If its for school a higher end modeling amp, or even a simpler one channel amp with a POD or any other multi effects might make a good addition. With the right combo you wont need a cab at all which might be cheaper and just mic in to the PA.
Call me insane but I love the Jazz tone you can get from running a guitar into a keyboard amp.
Quote by SimplyBen
That's the advantage of being such a distance from Yianni. I can continue to live my life without fear of stumbling upon his dark terror.

Quote by Toppscore
NakedInTheRain aka "Naked with shriveled pencil sized bacon In The Rain"
The highschool I went to had one, I'm pretty sure it was a Hughes & Kettner. It had a fantastic fat, warm and smooth tone.
Quote by SimplyBen
That's the advantage of being such a distance from Yianni. I can continue to live my life without fear of stumbling upon his dark terror.

Quote by Toppscore
NakedInTheRain aka "Naked with shriveled pencil sized bacon In The Rain"
Budget?

The Guitar amps are pretty well covered here. Peavey Classic 30 will be great, and the Delta Blues will also do you nicely.

For Bass amps, look at Ashdown amps. They're amazing amps for the price you pay. Depending on how big you need it, the Five Fifteen is a 100watt combo that will suit you nicely.

If you need something a bit more versatile, their MAG Evo series of heads is also fantastic. Couple that with a decent cab and you have a really solid bass rig.
For bass, let me introduce you to what you want:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/SWR-Redhead-Bass-Combo-Amp-2-X-10-/190580391297?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2c5f79fd81#ht_2862wt_956

Small, powerful, versatile and a legend. Such things are what GAS is about.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by AcousticMirror
what's the time signature of camilla rhodes.

lemme know when you figure it out.

I lol'd
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Highway One Telecaster
Dean Evo
Mesa F-50
Laney GH50L
Vox AC30 C2
Ampeg V2
pedals
Quote by Cathbard
For bass, let me introduce you to what you want:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/SWR-Redhead-Bass-Combo-Amp-2-X-10-/190580391297?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2c5f79fd81#ht_2862wt_956

Small, powerful, versatile and a legend. Such things are what GAS is about.

Agreed. The only thing that compares right now is Glockenklang's Soul II 2x10 combo, and it costs a thousand dollars more (if you can find one).
"Maybe this world is another planet's hell?" - Aldous Huxley