I would like to pickup a British voiced amp (EL34 power section) for around the said price range.

I would like it to be

100 watts
2-3 channels
Have enough gain to do old school 80s metal (from Saxon and Scorpions to Slayer and Sepultura) and early 90s Grunge and Death Metal. But not so much gain that it just gets super saturated (all my current amps seem to be in this area)
I want tone more than gain I want to be able to do the whole British sound no problem from 60s/70s hard rock to 80s/90s metal.

Some amps I have been looking at are:

Kustom Double Cross
Laney VH100R
Marshall JVM 210H
Peavey Butcher
Quote by FatalGear41
Of the amps you've listed, the Laney and the Marshall are your best bets. The Kustom is a high gain metal amp (and a very good one) and IIRC the Butcher is a hybrid that isn't likely to do what you want. You could also look at Carvin's X100B.

http://www.carvinguitars.com/products/single.php?product=X100B

The Butcher isn't a hybrid. The old ones were basically JCM 800s but the newer ones are a lot higher gain from what I understand.

And yeah, the JVM or the Laney are your best bets.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
that marshall is a solid amp....if its in your budget then why the hell not?
Quote by kangaxxter
The only real answer to the SG vs Les Paul debate is to get a Flying V and laugh at all the suckers who don't have one.

Quote by Blompcube

if you embrace inaccurate intonation it can be quite arousing.

I <3 TWEED
I would've said a Hiwatt. Not sure how much they go for new/used though.

EDIT: Don't listen to me, I didn't read the entire post.
Quote by SimplyBen
That's the advantage of being such a distance from Yianni. I can continue to live my life without fear of stumbling upon his dark terror.

Quote by Toppscore
NakedInTheRain aka "Naked with shriveled pencil sized bacon In The Rain"
Last edited by Eppicurt at Sep 26, 2011,
The VH100R is a great choice. You might want to look into their new Ironheart amps, they are supposed to be aimed more at metal than the GH and VH. I've only seem vids of the Ironheart and most were dialled in pretty bad but one or two sounded fantastic, I guess that speaks to a fairly wide range of tones available. No idea on price but worth a look, it might be exactly what you are looking for.
No idea on prices, I'd do some investigating.
http://www.laney.co.uk/news/?p=1388
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Used Orange Rockerverb 100.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by SCopeland24
So the Butcher is too high gain? Which is better between the VH100R and JVM210H?

No, it's just higher gain than the JCM 800 which it was based on. The 800 isn't quite a br00t4l amp on its own, it would need a boost to hit death metal.

Consider Splawn Quickrod or a Nitro as well, great amps. You might want to also look at the Soldano Avenger, but that's a one-channel amp. There's also the two channel version, the Soldano Hot Rod.

You might also check out the Peavey 6534+, it's a 6505+ with EL34s and a slightly different circuit.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Out of a VH100R and a JVM the VH kicks the Marshall's arse to hell and back without raising a sweat.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by SCopeland24
What does the Carvin X100B sound better with EL34s or 6L6s?

It sounds a bit smoother with the EL34 tubes. If you're going for a "British" sound, then you'll definitely want to run it with EL34s.

Splawns are great amplifiers, but they are made to order so availability might be an issue. The last I heard, they were quoting a completion time of about eight weeks. I don't know if this has changed with their increased popularity and public profile. They've been getting a lot more press lately, so demand has probably increased.
"Maybe this world is another planet's hell?" - Aldous Huxley
Well I don't want a super high gain amp that can do the brutz. I already have amps that do that. I want something that is mid gain to low high gain that if I wanted to do early (and I mean like Leprosy, Alter of Madness/Blessed are the Sick, Deicide and Barnes era CC. But I want that to be at the very extreme end of what the amp can do. I want to have to push the amp to reach those tones. I want this thing mainly as a brit style amp for thrash stuff and MAINLY 70/80s Hard Rock and NWOBHM. Stuff like early Maiden, Van Halen, AC/DC, Kiss, Led Zeppeling, Saxon, early Priest, Motorhead and blues stuff like Cream.
marshall vintage modern? ever checked it out? they are pretty sweet sounding maps IMO. played a gibby traditional through it and it made me want both the amp and the guitar. almost put em all on layaway
Quote by kangaxxter
The only real answer to the SG vs Les Paul debate is to get a Flying V and laugh at all the suckers who don't have one.

Quote by Blompcube

I <3 TWEED
^True. The Marshall Vintage Modern would also be a good choice; either the 50-watt or the 100-watt.
and note the 50w is loud as hell so thatll save you on the cost side
Quote by kangaxxter

Quote by Blompcube

I <3 TWEED
Well the amps I listed would do fine for all that as well.

But since you want low-mid gain stuff, you could also consider a Budda Superdrive. Great amps.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
Splawn

+1

Quote by EspTro
marshall vintage modern? ever checked it out? they are pretty sweet sounding maps IMO. played a gibby traditional through it and it made me want both the amp and the guitar. almost put em all on layaway

Also +1
NT

BE QUICK OR BE DEAD SON
Quote by EspTro
This.
The Vintage Modern is a single channel amp with KT66s and thats not really want I am aiming for. If I see one when I go try the others, then for sure I will jam on it but spec wise it is not what I want.
Quote by SCopeland24
Oh and I already have a Marshall 6100LM so how different would the VM sound to that?

If you already have a 6100, what do you need another British voiced amp for? That thing will cover all of the bands you listed.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Its too warm and raw. I dunno, I like the tones I get out of it but its too similar to what I'm getting out of my Mark IV and I want something completely different.
then you shouold be looking along the lines of a good eq rather then a new amp. better to switch from warm to bright on a button press then changing amps. and as the vintage modern suggests, it covers vintage tones to modern stuff too

*EDIT* and dont let the single channel turn u off, i mean unless you going to be using it for gigs u can very easily roll back the guitar volume to get clean and back up for grit.
Quote by kangaxxter

Quote by Blompcube

I <3 TWEED
Last edited by EspTro at Sep 26, 2011,
^You could also get an A/B box and switch between you existing amps and a new single-channel amp like the Vintage Modern or whatever.
go play the VM....your opinions will change.
Quote by kangaxxter

Quote by Blompcube

I <3 TWEED
Quote by MatrixClaw
Used Orange Rockerverb 100.

^this
Gibson SG Standard
Orange Rocker 30 combo
Fulltone OCD
EH Holy Grail
+10000 to SPLAWN
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
this thread is going nowhere with all these recommendations because anyone here would highly advise not buying an amp till you've played it. go to your GC, Samash, local shop w/e play the amps they have in your price range. its really the only option at this point. if they carry an item but not in store they can special order it.
Quote by kangaxxter

Quote by Blompcube

I <3 TWEED