Hey guys. Iv got a gig coming up in a few weeks and need a new axe. Unfortunately I'm low on cash. What's the best electric I could get for under 300? I was looking at the squier standard hss strat but then I saw a few epiphones like the sg 400. Open to all and any suggestions! Thanks, God bless.
SG 400's a great guitar. Definitely solid, but it depends on the music you're going to be playing.
Epiphone G-400
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Epiphone Les Paul Studio
Squier Custom Telecaster II
go used and get a fender strat/tele. maybe an ibanez. hell, i got a top of the line ibanez blazer reissue from 96 for $150 from a chain store because they didn't know what it was
I'm a dude, he's a dude, she's a dude, we're all dudes HEY!
second the 321MH, a real solid guitar. check out if you like the wizard II neck first though.
Anxiously Anticipating An Attractive ADA-MP1 Addition!
Quote by eoinmorgan
second the 321MH, a real solid guitar. check out if you like the wizard II neck first though.

Agreed. It is a bit thin, but I found it didn't take too much getting used to (coming from someone with a bunch of fat Fender necks).

IMO, much better than the Epiphones out there for that price. I like some of the squiers, but they can't hold a candle to that Ibanez.
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/esp-ltd-viper-100fm-electric-guitar

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/esp-ltd-h-101-flame-maple-electric-guitar/512889000245000

These are great guitars, or you can get a nice used Strat or Tele, they're amazing for rock, and I'd personally add a set of nice grover tuners to improve it's tuning stability that's probably one of the most frustrating things on a low end guitar
Quote by JeremiahStone
What are your thoughts on the epiphone lp 100?

the Epi LP-100's are crap for the money.
Go used off of Ebay and get a G-400 or even one of the goth series (LP, SG or Explorer) and you'll have a MUCH better guitar for your money.
Quote by Duv
And smack an open A chord and hold the body and see if it vibrates like a middle-aged woman's best friend.

Quote by guitarxo
I hope you get raped by a bayonet

Quote by beckyjc
Roland Cube / Vox Valvetronix / Peavey Vypyr / Hitler > Line 6 Spider.
Iv basically rounded it down to three options: 1) Squier Fender Standard HSS Strat 2) Epiphone G-400 3) Ibanez RG321
I'm leaning upwards the Fender but possibly the G-400 as a second choice.... Comments?
My friend has a G-400 he's played for years, it's an incredibly solid reliable guitar. The tone is a bit on the dark side and the pickups don't have the most clarity but it's an amazing value, stays in tune well also. I'd recommend it
You might as well forget about newer guitars for that price.
You'll be disappointed with the quality.
Look up 80's or 90's guitars in your styling made in Korea or Japan.
My Ibanez EX 3700 was $200 from a pawn shop, and it's miles ahead guitars made today in a similar price range.
Cusp of Magic
Used Fender Mexi strat
Used Squier Classic Vibe
Used Ibanez S470
Used Jackson either DXMG or DKMG
Used Samick, probably Greg Bennett

I could go on with pawnshop guitars I've seen for $200 that are worth it for the guitarist on a tight budget. Brands like Godin and Samick make good budget guitars, and end up in pawnshops often around here.

The Ibanez and Jackson are more geared toward metal, imo, with thinner necks and hotter stock pickups.
Quote by Capt_Clarkson
Epiphone G-400
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Epiphone Les Paul Studio
Squier Custom Telecaster II

this.

Also, I have an Epiphone Les Paul Special II. Solid body, $180, awesome paint, 2 Humbuckers, the works. Although, It really depends on how you like the sound, go try out all 5 of these, or even some others you see, and find the right sound.

What I do, take a feild trip to Guitar Center for a day.
Ibanez RG321. It probably doesn't look the part for what you want to play, but it won't fall apart on you like a cheap Epiphone will.

A Squire Deluxe or Squire Hot Rails could also be good.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Last edited by Offworld92 at Sep 26, 2011,
Agile. /endthread.

And I say that as someone who owns many high end guitars, so I'm not an Agile fanboy like a lot of people on this site. They're not just "good for the money", but when you're talking about a $300 or less budget, no guitar will give you as much bang for your buck as Agile.

That said, if you bump yourself up to $350 or $375, you can get a used carvin custom shop guitar. That would be my #1 suggestion, because Carvin is amazing and you can get a custom built in the USA guitar for a low price because their resale value is meh.
Custom guitars, vintage amps, boutique pedals. Blah, blah, blah.
Quote by CustomAxe
That said, if you bump yourself up to $350 or $375, you can get a used carvin custom shop guitar. That would be my #1 suggestion, because Carvin is amazing and you can get a custom built in the USA guitar for a low price because their resale value is meh.

That's actually a damn good suggestion
If you're just playing Rock, then IMO if your price range is only $300.00 ,then your best options are either the Squier Standard Strat or the Epiphone faded series G-400. Both guitars are very underrated and once intonated and setup properly, are quality instruments that are good enough to use on stage. I'm a player of over 37 years experience and I have a 2008 Squier Standard Strat as part of my setup. I've used it at gigs and have never had any problems with it at all.
Quote by JeremiahStone
What are your thoughts on the epiphone lp 100?
I'd be willing to lay money down on the fact it's a turd.

If you might be interested on something more along the lines of a Les Paul, there's always the Ibanez Art 100: http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/peavey-vypyr-15-15w-1x8-guitar-combo-amp/482908000001000 Plus, you'll get 5 cents change from your 300 bucks Yeah I know, not much, but at least it's something.

These don't have the "Wizard" neck, so they feel a bit more along the lines of a Gibson neck.
Mhmm, I mean for rock any of the suggestions will do. It's up to you TS haha good luck on whatever you choose to buy! And don't be afraid to lay down a couple more bucks on anything it's more than worth it
what about the epiphone dot?

apparently its great for the money, ive been tihnking of getting one myself. and whuile its based on a jazz guitar a lot of people use the es335 for rock
The G-400 is a really solid budget guitar. I bought one about 2 yrs ago and theguitar and a Seymour Duncan SH-4 for the bridge, it cost under $400 all together. But even stok for $299 it is hard to beat.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ibanez-RG-570-Plays-Great-Great-Deal-/250900015077?pt=Guitar&hash=item3a6ace67e5

Freakin awesome deal right there. It's made in Japan, looks like one of the later reissues judging by the aanj(all access neck joint), which means it has the LoPro tremolo(one of the best trems ever made, imo). And he put a Seymour Duncan in the bridge. Just so long as you don't mind the nicks and scratches.

Honestly, I don't see you finding anything better than that guitar without spending a few hundred more. I have to stop myself from buying guitars like that.
I have heard that the squire affinity is better then the standard cause the wood in the standard is agatis and the wood in the affinity is alder, but is that just bs?
so i got my used jackson dk2m for 300 at a guitar center so if there are any music stores near you check out their used stuff.