Music is my only real passion in life so at first I figured I should go to a music college because society expects that everyone goes to college for something. Recently I've realized there aren't that many opportunities that give back monetarily what you put into your music education. I have also considered computer science just so I can make good money and maybe do something cool like make video games or something but it just doesn't seem like it will be as awesome of an experience as music would be.

Can I still get a job that makes decent enough money to live on my own and have some small luxuries(internet) and some extra cash without college?. For example, say my basic living necessities are rent, car, and food... just basic needs to live somewhat comfortably, nothing fancy. I have looked into jobs that don't require degrees and pay usually around $40,000-$50,000. Would that be enough?

I am a senior in high school and am pretty unsure of what I want to do for a living although I know music is my favorite thing in this world.
Guitars:
ESP Horizon NT-II
Schecter Jeff Loomis 7 string
Ibanez RG370DXGP2
Some cheap Cort Acoustic

Amps:
Peavey Vypyr Tube 60

Effects:
Line 6 Pod HD500

Keyboard/Piano:
Yamaha YDP161 Arius Digital Piano
Musician's Institute has pretty good housing options.
you're a stone fox
With today's economy, you need every advantage you can get. An undergraduate degree doesn't necessarily mean much, but it's more than what a lot of people have.
All the way from Palm Springs, just out of detox.
Show him a warm welcome, let's hear some applause
Quote by genghisgandhi
REALITY CHECK - You probably can't make it as a musician unless you go to college.

Unless...you're playing crap that you don't enjoy for the mass $$$.
To be vulnerable is needed most of all, if you intend to truly fall apart.

Quote by due 07
You have no idea how much I don't want to tell stories about my mother's vaginal slime on the internet.

I make music sometimes.
Wait and get a job or just go with it and see where it takes you. Just think of the possible debt you would be in if you go to collage though; especially if you find out you don't like it as much as you think and drop out or hate what you are doing.
Quote by genghisgandhi
REALITY CHECK - You probably can't make it as a musician unless you go to college.

A lot of musicians who go to college don't make it as a musician anyway, which is why I see it as kind of illogical to go college to be a musician since I mostly want to do it as a serious hobby or something with a lot of musical knowledge.
Guitars:
ESP Horizon NT-II
Ibanez RG370DXGP2
Some cheap Cort Acoustic

Amps:
Peavey Vypyr Tube 60

Effects:
Line 6 Pod HD500

Keyboard/Piano:
Part of me wants to be that hardcore musician/music teacher that is always broke but would still be happy performing/teaching, and the other part of me wants to live comfortably with no debt and just do music as a hobby.
Guitars:
ESP Horizon NT-II
Ibanez RG370DXGP2
Some cheap Cort Acoustic

Amps:
Peavey Vypyr Tube 60

Effects:
Line 6 Pod HD500

Keyboard/Piano:
Quote by Stringz of Fury
A lot of musicians who go to college don't make it as a musician anyway, which is why I see it as kind of illogical to go college to be a musician since I mostly want to do it as a serious hobby or something with a lot of musical knowledge.

One of my friend's just graduated from a 2 year music college.. Not looking very good for him at this point in time. He even tried to sue his school for his "lack of knowledge" after graduating. xD
OP where are you located?
Quote by barden1069
A "tubescreamer" is a person paid by a guitarist to stand behind the amp and scream at the tubes. This terrifies the tubes into overdriving and delivers a thick, harmonic-rich tone.
Quote by RealGuitarHero
OP where are you located?

Upstate New York, but I'll go wherever there's opportunities.
Guitars:
ESP Horizon NT-II
Ibanez RG370DXGP2
Some cheap Cort Acoustic

Amps:
Peavey Vypyr Tube 60

Effects:
Line 6 Pod HD500

Keyboard/Piano:
Quote by Gorelord666
Unless...you're playing crap that you don't enjoy for the mass $$$.

Or you study psychology and learn to use the positive tools of a psychopath(first definition, not the murdery ones that get applied to it. Not that being a psychopath is a good thing, but it doesn't mean murderer) like the Governator did.

But anyway, TS, my opinion is that you should give it a shot. You'll never live it down if you don't. That said though, don't be stupid - never put all your eggs in one basket, have a fallback if you don't hit gold.
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 75-87
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 3-3
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 52-39
If you are serious about a music degree and you're proficient, an have money for out of state tuition, the university I attend, UNC Greensboro has a world famous music program.
Quote by barden1069
A "tubescreamer" is a person paid by a guitarist to stand behind the amp and scream at the tubes. This terrifies the tubes into overdriving and delivers a thick, harmonic-rich tone.
i say go to school at least a community college they are much cheaper anf while doing some of your gen ed you can maybe figure out what you want(and take some music classes or computer classes while your at it)
Another problem with college for me is I did crappy in high school and I don't have much classical experience with music so I feel like I wouldn't be able to get into the music school I want to go to,(Crane school of music) but I'm going to start taking piano lessons and when I started playing guitar I practiced sometimes 9 hours a day and some times I still do, so we'll see what happens if I put that same dedication into piano.
Guitars:
ESP Horizon NT-II
Ibanez RG370DXGP2
Some cheap Cort Acoustic

Amps:
Peavey Vypyr Tube 60

Effects:
Line 6 Pod HD500

Keyboard/Piano:
Quote by Stringz of Fury
Another problem with college for me is I did crappy in high school and I don't have much classical experience with music so I feel like I wouldn't be able to get into the music school I want to go to,(Crane school of music) but I'm going to start taking piano lessons and when I started playing guitar I practiced sometimes 9 hours a day and some times I still do, so we'll see what happens if I put that same dedication into piano.

Why don't you just learn fingerstyle instead of a whole new instrument?
you're a stone fox
Quote by Stringz of Fury
Another problem with college for me is I did crappy in high school

So retake classes?

It's not going to be easy, or particularly fun, but nothing worth having in life comes easy - if it did, we'd all just sit on our asses all day instead of going out and working for what we want.

and I don't have much classical experience with music so I feel like I wouldn't be able to get into the music school I want to go to,(Crane school of music)

Take music courses at community college first. The introductory course I've been taking to music theory has been fairly basic stuff that lays the groundwork - there are classes to get you rolling from zero.

but I'm going to start taking piano lessons and when I started playing guitar I practiced sometimes 9 hours a day and some times I still do, so we'll see what happens if I put that same dedication into piano.

Good luck, mate; piano's a wonderful instrument for applying music theory on, so that should help you with the theory end.

Quote by genghisgandhi

REALITY CHECK - collee is no guarantee of success. It used to be, but now college's are just money-grubbing institutions.

Don't buy into the bullshit that you'll make more money if you have one. It's been proven that tha's a made-up statistic.

Hard work and perserverance give you a better shot at success. If you wish to go to college that's fine, but just know that what your professor's and the registrar's try to sell you is complete bullshit.
SUNY Fredonia is in upstate NY. if you're really in upstate NY, and not in Westchester, than it shouldn't be that far, about 45 minutes outside downtown Buffalo--I believe exit 58 off the 90. They have an accredited music program there, and it's a state school so its relatively cheap. Honestly, I would look into going there, besides from the nice music program, there's a lot of cool people there who are just looking for a good time. That, and who knows, you might take up a class and find that field interesting and switch majors, dual major, minor in something...who knows, the list of possibilities are endless. Besides from just the degree, in college you meet a lot of people who can help you out along the way, especially if you're willing and passionate enough to put in the work.
10/7/07- Van Halen
3/16/08- Iron Maiden
1/9/09- AC/DC
7/8/09- Judas Priest
11/10/09- Metallica
7/3/10- Iron Maiden
7/24/10- Rush
4/15/11- Rush-

Quote by LordBishek
with a penis as small as mine, I don't have a very humorous take on the world.
Quote by pailoong
REALITY CHECK - collee is no guarantee of success. It used to be, but now college's are just money-grubbing institutions.

It sure does help.

Quote by pailoong

Don't buy into the bullshit that you'll make more money if you have one. It's been proven that tha's a made-up statistic.

Source? I just read an article that said the opposite.
Quote by Saint78
Why don't you just learn fingerstyle instead of a whole new instrument?

Piano is more versatile than even classical guitar and a lot of music schools require you to know how to play piano and if not they require you take piano lessons. I actually wish I learned piano first because it's much simpler in terms of the actual layout of keys vs frets in my opinion. I have learned some classical guitar stuff like Bach's Bouree in E minor but I don't read music for guitar because of tabs and piano would pretty much force me to read music.
Guitars:
ESP Horizon NT-II
Ibanez RG370DXGP2
Some cheap Cort Acoustic

Amps:
Peavey Vypyr Tube 60

Effects:
Line 6 Pod HD500

Keyboard/Piano:
I'm taking a music theory class in school right now and I've already learned so much more about music in just a few weeks. Before this year of school started, I could hardly read music. Now because of this class I am getting close to being able to name notes on the grand staff fluently, I'm more familiar with other time signatures, I can build/name basic major/minor triads, I have memorized the circle of fifths, and we are just now getting into chord progressions.
Guitars:
ESP Horizon NT-II
Ibanez RG370DXGP2
Some cheap Cort Acoustic

Amps:
Peavey Vypyr Tube 60

Effects:
Line 6 Pod HD500

Keyboard/Piano:
Quote by Stringz of Fury
I'm taking a music theory class in school right now and I've already learned so much more about music in just a few weeks. Before this year of school started, I could hardly read music. Now because of this class I am getting close to being able to name notes on the grand staff fluently, I'm more familiar with other time signatures, I can build/name basic major/minor triads, I have memorized the circle of fifths, and we are just now getting into chord progressions.

What exactly do you want to do? Be a teacher? Yeah, you'll need a degree for that. If you just want to be a rock star, you don't need college, but if you want to do stuff like teach, you will.
Quote by sabres61
SUNY Fredonia is in upstate NY. if you're really in upstate NY, and not in Westchester, than it shouldn't be that far, about 45 minutes outside downtown Buffalo--I believe exit 58 off the 90. They have an accredited music program there, and it's a state school so its relatively cheap. Honestly, I would look into going there, besides from the nice music program, there's a lot of cool people there who are just looking for a good time. That, and who knows, you might take up a class and find that field interesting and switch majors, dual major, minor in something...who knows, the list of possibilities are endless. Besides from just the degree, in college you meet a lot of people who can help you out along the way, especially if you're willing and passionate enough to put in the work.

Fredonia is one of the other schools I'm looking at, but the Crane School of Music at SUNY Potsdam is my first choice because 2 of my music teachers went there and I have heard it is a very intense music program where you do nothing but practice and study music which is what I want.
Guitars:
ESP Horizon NT-II
Ibanez RG370DXGP2
Some cheap Cort Acoustic

Amps:
Peavey Vypyr Tube 60

Effects:
Line 6 Pod HD500

Keyboard/Piano:
Quote by Stringz of Fury

I know the feeling - I thought I knew theory decently enough before, but the dots the courses I'm taking are connecting and the light they're shedding are so damn liberating, it makes me genuinely upset when I see people preaching theory makes you less of a musician. You don't realize just how much it makes clear until you study the stuff.

Quote by genghisgandhi
What exactly do you want to do? Be a teacher? Yeah, you'll need a degree for that. If you just want to be a rock star, you don't need college, but if you want to do stuff like teach, you will.

Not if you just give private lessons or something on the side.
Guitars:
ESP Horizon NT-II
Ibanez RG370DXGP2
Some cheap Cort Acoustic

Amps:
Peavey Vypyr Tube 60

Effects:
Line 6 Pod HD500

Keyboard/Piano:
If you go to college for music, go to a good one with lots of resources. The paper that says you've passed all your classes and are now a "qualified" musician means absolutely nothing. But the experience and connection you work your ass off to build will mean everything. So if you just go to some no name community college or run of the mill university with a music program that can't offer these resources, don't bother wasting your time/money.

By the way, this whole "making it" thing that everyone jizzes over is absolute bullshit. If you are making sustainable income from music, you have MADE it. Being in a band and getting signed to a label is one of MANY possible branches of professional music. It's the flashiest, but by no means the most rewarding or even satisfying.
Last edited by Xiaoxi at Sep 25, 2011,
Quote by genghisgandhi
Yeah, but that's not gonna get you much.

It depends... the average half hour piano lesson is anywhere from $15-$30, and an hour can be from $50-$100. I really don't think that is too bad. Maybe not reliable if you can't fill your week up with students to pay for the lessons, but it's at least some extra money.
Guitars:
ESP Horizon NT-II
Ibanez RG370DXGP2
Some cheap Cort Acoustic

Amps:
Peavey Vypyr Tube 60

Effects:
Line 6 Pod HD500

Keyboard/Piano:
Go. If you don't you'll end up a dead end musician or flipping burgers. Neither of which would be fun... Just do something that'll get you lots of money in a relatively short amount of time, that way you can just sit around and play music the rest of your life after that.
My, 2 cents right there.
I smoke like Rasta, got hair like pasta
I be sippin' on them shots then bustin' rhymes like Busta

Load up the bong, crank up the song, let the informa call 911
If your love of music makes you want to learn more about it and how it works, go to college for it.

If you don't want to study it intensely, or would rather explore it on your own (of course most later college work is going to be self-directed anyway), then don't go.

A really good school guarantees that, if you work hard and smart, you'll make great connections, have a chance to be visible in whatever contemporary things are happening in your field, and learn directly from people who are respected and doing well in their field. Those are nice bonuses in addition to simply honing your craft and expanding your knowledge/thought process. You can do all of those things outside of a good school, but you'll have to figure out how to do so all on your own rather than being throw into the middle of it. I think figuring out how to meet the right people, make your music skills into economically practical ones, and establish yourself as part of what's going on are all a lot harder to do than even becoming a virtuoso.

Career and cash are important, but everyone's giving super conservative advice about that right now because the economy sucks so much all around the world. Things will be better in 5 years or so when you get out, so be practical and concerned, but don't immediately assume that a fine or performance arts degree won't help you get a good job. Getting a degree like that is hard (despite what any naysayers say) and it does give you real, marketable skills.