If anyone has been following my Yamaha build, I'm having some unexpected problems. I built it up mainly for playing in my church band, and here lies my problem, it's too loud....or rather, it projects to well. A 10 watt SS amp, overpowering a PA(3000 watts). I honestly can't believe I'm saying this, but it does, on 3 out of 10 on the volume.

With the amp pointed at a drum shield, and while the entire band is playing, not miced up, you can clearly hear my amp all the way across the entire building....which sucks, cause I can't use it, everybody is complaining that it sounds like it is in their ear. I need some help to counter this, and quick.

Now, the room we play in has horrible acoustics, like most church auditoriums, it has a very deep echo, and you can hear a pin drop on the carpet from clear across the entire building. I don't know if that helps.

I used to use my Valveking in the same room, miced up, and it didn't have a problem with over projecting, which has me so confused, and frustrated.

What should I do? Change the speaker? Get a isolation box? Go crazy and buy some kind of speaker emulation crap? Any ideas to fix this?
Try moving the amp to a different spot. It's possible the room has hot spots, which are responding to your amp. Choosing a different spot may help calm it down.
It didn't matter where the amp was, it filled the entire room regardless. I mean, it was behind a drum shield and still filled the entire room, I had it pointed at the wall, and it still filled the entire room. Moved it from one side of the stage to the other...nothing, still sounded too loud.
Quote by fly135
Try 2 instead of 3.

I had it on less than one, and it still punched through too much, and I couldn't get any overdrive. This amp is built so that the clean channel overdrives around 3, which this particular amp sounds really good when you do that.
Stick a 10-25 watt resistor in series with the speaker. Maybe start with one double the ohms on the speaker. That'll knock to down to a 3 watt amp.

Or even get a 25 watt rheostat and run it in series. Then you can dial whatever you want.
Last edited by fly135 at Sep 26, 2011,
Quote by fly135
Stick a 10-25 watt resistor in series with the speaker. Maybe start with one double the ohms on the speaker. That'll knock to down to a 3 watt amp.

It's a 10 watt amp....and I seriously don't think it's the output, cause it's honestly not that loud, it just projects way to well. Like, you can easily play it in your bedroom fine and it's not that loud...but it just cuts so dang well.