So I'm a senior in High School and stuff, decided I actually wanted to go to college, but there's a catch.

I'm not a citizen of the U.S. I have a SSN somehow, but my parents don't really know anything about that besides that it's legal. (not stolen)

Soooo I can't get all the sweet benefits I would be entitled to if I was born here, (In AZ, if you pass this test and maintain a high GPA you get your tuition payed) and need to pay off college.

I've looked for scholarships for someone like me, but I haven't found anything to give me hope.

Also all this has giving me anxiety and mild depression.

And my parents can't afford to take out the huge loan that would be required for this.

Help me pit.
Quote by genghisgandhi
Go to community college for two years, then get in to college cheaper. That's what my dad did, and he fathered me, so it has to work.

I'm planning on doing this. Just make sure the credits of your CC are transferable.
Take what courses you can afford at community college.

Quote by emad
jthm_guitarist
Warned for trolling!

Quote by metal4eva_22
Didn't you say that you had a stuffed fox that you would occasionally fuck?

Quote by Axelfox
It's not a fox,it's a wolf.
I'm going to a community college and it's really really really cheap. Just take out some loans, get a job, pay them back. You'll probably get in state tuition if you stay in Arizona, so it should be alright.

Seriously though, GTFO out of my 'murca and go back to where you came from.
“Just to sum up: I would do various things very quickly.” - Donald Trump
im in california and im gonig to cc its not cheap and i had to giv eup a few luxires but its getting done

edit i forgot to mention im also an illegal immigrant...
Depending on your nationality, there are lots of scholarships available. Check with the colleges you are thinking of applying to. Apply to any other scholarships you can find online, some might require you to write essays. I'm not sure if you would be able to pay "in-state" tuition for colleges in AZ (which is cheaper than out-of state) if you don't have citizenship. Honestly the best way to get answers is to call the schools and ask them yourself. It is also a good option to go to community college for a year or two to get required gen ed courses out of the way, or even get an associates degree. Keep in contact with the University you want to go and make sure you are taking the right community college courses to help get into the degree program you want, they'll be able to help you out. Even just call and ask about options for non-citizens in general, their offices deal with students form across the globe every day.
Schecter Hellraiser C-1
Fernandes Dragonfly
Peavey Valveking 112

If I could write off your murder, I'd save all of my receipts,
because I'd rather you be dead, than lose a tiny shred of what I made this fiscal year - Dethklok
Are you here illegally, or are you a resident? I'm not sure if you can get scholarships if you're here illegally, but there's more than likely something for non-citizens. Though I'm guessing that having a SS means your a resident.
All the way from Palm Springs, just out of detox.
Show him a warm welcome, let's hear some applause
You're not a citizen and you live in Arizona?

Fender Telecaster w/ GFS Lil' Killer
Jet City Pico Valve

Quote by Chaos-Serenade

The fretboard is dry because it is more than likely made in China.

I wonder how he came to this conclusion.
Lyrics
Inside the back
Walk with me
Reign, Rain

Call me Drew
Also, I have to pay out of state tuition. Sorry for not mentioning that.

Quote by carlos_almighty
Are you here illegally, or are you a resident? I'm not sure if you can get scholarships if you're here illegally, but there's more than likely something for non-citizens. Though I'm guessing that having a SS means your a resident.

Not a resident. Been here for 16 years, but not considered a resident.

Quote by OctoberWind
You're not a citizen and you live in Arizona?

Feels bad man
Quote by Weaponized

I'm not a citizen of the U.S. I have a SSN somehow, but my parents don't really know anything about that besides that it's legal. (not stolen)

This may be the shadiest thing I have read all day. The hell?
Quote by jimmy hendrix 2
Don't argue with my new deity.
Quote by wyldething
This may be the shadiest thing I have read all day. The hell?

Idk man. My parents knowledge on immigration is like most mexicans, very misinformed. But if you look up my SSN, my name comes up.
Quote by Weaponized
Also, I have to pay out of state tuition. Sorry for not mentioning that.

Thanks, wasn't sure how that worked. Do you know if you're able to get loans without a co-signer since your parents can't? Might want to call around to some banks. I'm not an expert but I think its good to stick to Credit Unions instead of big name banks.

I've heard of people in far worse situations getting through college just fine, it just might take a bit more work on the logistics than most of your peers.
Schecter Hellraiser C-1
Fernandes Dragonfly
Peavey Valveking 112

If I could write off your murder, I'd save all of my receipts,
because I'd rather you be dead, than lose a tiny shred of what I made this fiscal year - Dethklok
can you take out a loan? here in Australia it's normal for the government to loan you the money, then you pay them back when you earn enough, + a low rate of interest to keep up with inflation etc.
---
My wife isn't a citizen either, though she has a SSN and her green card. She's attending University of Washington, Seattle.

School is an option for you, though it will not be cheap if you do not find some way of paying for it. As an alternative option, you can consider a brief (3-4 year) enlistment in the military, in a job you actually have an interest in, for active duty service and at the end of that you will have a 100% paid college trip available to you.

I make little enough money to where my wife is able to get most of her tuition paid for by the government in grants -- money that does not have to be repaid. If you are from a low income family, you should explore this route as well... start filling out the FASFA (FAFSA?) paperwork.

There are ways for you to attend college, don't doubt it. It will just take work and searching.
My God, it's full of stars!
Last edited by Dreadnought at Sep 25, 2011,
Quote by ironman45
Thanks, wasn't sure how that worked. Do you know if you're able to get loans without a co-signer since your parents can't? Might want to call around to some banks. I'm not an expert but I think its good to stick to Credit Unions instead of big name banks.

I've heard of people in far worse situations getting through college just fine, it just might take a bit more work on the logistics than most of your peers.

Loans are a bad idea since I can't really get a job.

Quote by Dreadnought
you can consider a brief (3-4 year) enlistment in the military,

If you are from a low income family, you should explore this route as well... start filling out the FASFA (FAFSA?) paperwork.

I dont think I'd want to give years of my life to give more years of my life.

And I can't receive any federal aid.
Why can't you receive federal aid? Who told you you couldn't?

Do you have a green card?
You gon get deported
Sergio 'Checo' Perez 2013 Formula One World Drivers Champion
Quote by Dreadnought
Why can't you receive federal aid? Who told you you couldn't?

The councilors at my school did. I don't see how I could since I'm not even supposed to be here?
Ok, quit dodging around questions. What is your legal status in the USA? Do you have a green card?
Quote by Dreadnought
Ok, quit dodging around questions. What is your legal status in the USA? Do you have a green card?

I'm giving you all the information I have! I answered all your questions as directly as I could bro.

I don't have a green card.
wait what the hell??? if you have a SSN, it should mean you are here legally, no?

are you a resident?

either way, with you ssn you may be able to apply for fasfa(government help) and other scholarships/grants.

first you need to figure out your legal status in this country. i dont really get it, how do you not know?....how do your PARENTS not know?
There are tons of Hispanic scholarships available. Check with your advisor on them. Might be hard with the illegal immigration but people find ways around it all the time.
Quote by davem27
wait what the hell??? if you have a SSN, it should mean you are here legally, no?

No.

Quote by davem27

are you a resident?

No.
Quote by davem27

either way, with you ssn you may be able to apply for fasfa(government help) and other scholarships/grants.

You'd think so.
Quote by davem27

first you need to figure out your legal status in this country. i dont really get it, how do you not know?....how do your PARENTS not know?

My parent's were poor kids in Mexico who left so they wouldnt get evicted with 2 kids to feed. They were sooooo damned naive about the immigration system. I think my dad went through like 95% of the steps required for legal residency but then backed out or something cause he never thought he would have to leave Mexico.
Quote by blake1221
There are tons of Hispanic scholarships available. Check with your advisor on them. Might be hard with the illegal immigration but people find ways around it all the time.

I look for hours and read the fine print, and see being a citizen is required. Sucks.

Quote by Dirge Humani
Were you born in the United States of America, or Puerto Rico?

Sonora, Mexico, amigo.
Quote by Dirge Humani
Then apply for permanent residence as soon as humanly possible.

As in, tomorrow.

This. I mean you've been living un the US for 16 years , there should be something you can do.

Good luck mate
Are You a PROG-HEAD? I am.

Steam/XBL Gamertag: Ostinattos

Why not Zoidberg?

Note: Every time someone posts <3 all I see is testicles with a party hat.
Quote by Dreadnought
Read this section on wikipedia:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Social_Security_number#Types_of_Social_Security_cards

Which of those types of cards do you have?

Probably the ""not valid for employment." one but I know its around here somewhere. I'll look for it.

Quote by Dirge Humani
Then apply for permanent residence as soon as humanly possible.

As in, tomorrow.

no idea how, I mean my parents used to look into stuff like this, but they got scammed by some lawyer who threatened to deport us. It was a shitload of money.

Quote by CrossBack7
http://www.socialsecurity.gov/pubs/10096.html

That might actually be more helpful. If you have a SSN card, you're still entitled to some benefits. FASFA may still be able to help you.

I'll definitely be looking at this extensively.

Maybe I have an expired foreign passport? or something.