Page 1 of 2
Something like Spongebob is simply a hell out of lot more distracting than a show about a grandmother reading stories to her grandkids.

It's a poorly designed study aimed to scare parents to shelter their children even further.
Hmm...daily gossip, huh?
Said the straight man to the late man: "where have you been?"

"I've been here and, I've been there and, I've been in between."
Spongebob is aimed at children above the age of 6.

It is not intended to be viewed by children under that age, so it comes down to what the parent wants.
Quote by Article
Apparently, cartoons with stupid characters lead to the migration of stupidity to the brains of the watchers.

Sounds like the author really knows what they're talking about.

I also didn't see a link to the exact results of the study. Anyone have one?
Quote by MakinLattes
I'd kill you and wear your skin.
Quote by Siv During Livh
To attempt to have intercourse with a hornet's nest is a very bad idea,

Voted UG's worst cross dresser.
Also voted #95 on UG's Top 100 2013. Like it means anything....
Quote by muffinduck01
Sounds like the author really knows what they're talking about.

I also didn't see a link to the exact results of the study. Anyone have one?

I saw a report on my local news station, and it said something about giving them bad attention spans because the scenes on Spongebob change so rapidly.

So not really stupid kids, just kids with bad attention spans who don't like boring as fuck kid shows.
Quote by CrossBack7
Something like Spongebob is simply a hell out of lot more distracting than a show about a grandmother reading stories to her grandkids.

It's a poorly designed study aimed to scare parents to shelter their children even further.

Yeah I agree, the study isn't great. Spongebob Squarepants is enjoyable, I think it probably has more to do with short-attention spans and the fact it isn't educational. Just sharing in le pit.
Catch the Dragon
Quote by hriday_hazarika
This thread is as terrible as music, which sucks balls.
The language in the article prevents me from taking it seriously.
Quote by beadhangingOne
What happened to Snake?

Snake?

Snake?

SNAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAKE?!

Quote by TunerAddict
you can take my mouse and keyboard from my cold, slightly orange from cheetos, dead fingers

Quote by Baby Joel
Isis is amazing
Dumb study, dumb article, and a dumb show. But the show is dumb on purpose and that makes it humorous, the other things are unintentionally dumb, so that just makes them... well dumb I guess.

I agree that story telling is better for kids' brains than "cinematic" or dramatic story telling. They'd develop their little cognitive faculties and smarts best if you read stories to them or took them down to the library story teller than if you sat them in front of a TV.
Quote by Gibson_SG_uzr55
The language in the article prevents me from taking it seriously.

Good point. Someone told me about this and I linked the first source I found, my bad.

A slightly better source now in OP.
Catch the Dragon
Quote by hriday_hazarika
This thread is as terrible as music, which sucks balls.
Pffft. I call shenanigans. It's all their imagination.

Obligatory.
I want to read your essays and blogs of the artistic nature!

Art evokes the mystery without which the world would not exist.

- Rene Magritte
Yeah, spongebob or any other show that is on any other channel besides the education channels.
Douchebag researchers.
The illegality of cannabis is outrageous, an impediment to full utilization of a drug which helps produce the serenity and insight, sensitivity and fellowship so desperately needed in this increasingly mad and dangerous world.
- Carl Sagan
Quote by SKArface McDank
Yeah, spongebob or any other show that is on any other channel besides the education channels.
Douchebag researchers.

You didn't read it did you?
Quote by devourke
I saw a report on my local news station, and it said something about giving them bad attention spans because the scenes on Spongebob change so rapidly.

So not really stupid kids, just kids with bad attention spans who don't like boring as fuck kid shows.

If this is true, then... well, I can definitely see the show's impact on me nowadays.
At least with alcohol they look hot, even if they are stupid.

I never liked Spongebob, I found it unrealistic.
Quote by Gabel
You are EXTREMELY WRONG! I have played it. I own an 18W and it would be an awful stereo amp, it's way too bright, breaks up too easily and so on. Secondly, why would a guitar store sell an hifi amp.
Quote by 'Leviathan'
If this is true, then... well, I can definitely see the show's impact on me nowadays.

The study was only done for effects immediately after viewing. One of the limits was that they weren't testing for long term effects.
The commentary also notes some of the limits to the research. For instance, is this impairment fleeting or long-lasting?

and

a Nickelodeon representative pointed out that 4-year-olds aren't SpongeBob's primary audience, and that children between the ages of 6 and 10 are targeted instead

This study is aiming things at children that shouldn't and it seems that's what should be stated more than Spongebob will make Jimmy 4 year old an idiot.

Also, spongebob is hella deep, if anything the intended audience is young adults

/Defensive of awesome show

Quote by DeadlyIllness

[that guy again] gets the drum Solo and Title King of the UG.

*Drum Solo*

Steam: yintonyinton
PSN: yintonyinton
Last edited by that guy again at Sep 26, 2011,
Spongebob was originally made for adult swim. Him and Patrick were supposed to be gay partners...
Drewster720571

Quote by that guy again
and

This study is aiming things at children that shouldn't and it seems that's what should be stated more than Spongebob will make Jimmy 4 year old an idiot.

Also, spongebob is hella deep, if anything the intended audience is young adults

/Defensive of awesome show

Quote by that guy again

Quote by that guy again

Also, spongebob is hella deep

Quote by that guy again

is hella deep

Quote by that guy again

hella

Quote by that guy again

hella

I thought you were a New Zealander brah. Not a dirty Aussie.
Quote by CrossBack7

yes and i believe there should be nothing left to say.
Quote by devourke
I thought you were a New Zealander brah. Not a dirty Aussie.

I don't even know what inspired me to use that word O.o

. . . I swear I'm supporting the All Blac- Wallabies in the Rugby World Cup

So it begins!

Quote by DeadlyIllness

*Drum Solo*

Spongebob is retarded.
Quote by YouTube user
Hey it's Alek from Chillin in Bodom and ears a lick for bitch who can't play dicks.

Quote by that guy again
I don't even know what inspired me to use that word O.o

. . . I swear I'm supporting the All Blac- Wallabies in the Rugby World Cup

So it begins!

I'm sort of supporting the Wallabies because I said they'd get to the finals in the Rugby Thread. Now I feel like a dick because they got wrecked by Ireland. At least the All Blacks are doing way better than they were at the Tri Nations.
Quote by devourke
I'm sort of supporting the Wallabies because I said they'd get to the finals in the Rugby Thread. Now I feel like a dick because they got wrecked by Ireland. At least the All Blacks are doing way better than they were at the Tri Nations.

I support them for their coach. The thrashing from Ireland made me sad but meh, this conversation should be in the rugby thread

Quote by DeadlyIllness

*Drum Solo*

Spongebob is brilliant and makes you brilliant. They just chose dumb kids to experiment on.
Quote by Ian_the_fox
You're not girly enough of a boy for me, and you're not man enough to take the top. So like, sorry bitch but you ain't mine! Sorry.
They're just mad because Spongebob can be taken more seriously then their article.

They're also mad because they have to admit to why Spongebob is making this face:

Last edited by AllJudasPriest at Sep 26, 2011,
Idk, I mean Spongebob did teach me that fact that it is possible to start a fire underwater.
Oh f*ck it,
I'm gonna have a party.
I had the blankest year,
I watched life turn into a TV show.
It was totally weird.

This "study" would work the same with any other show that's colorful and enticing. Sit those kids in front of The Lion King and the same thing would happen, it's like giving a preschooler candy and then expecting him to eat his asparagus.
This should be common knowledge by know.

Sticking kids infront of televsion sets is bad in general.

If anything at least give them a video game and not a TV show.
People in the pit take my post way too seriously.

MyAnimeList
7-String Legion

If you have a question PM me and I will always get back to you.
I watched lots of Ren and Stimpy as a kid. Too bad they took that show off air.
THE SOLE PURPOSE OF THIS SIG IS TO GRAB YOUR ATTENTION TO THIS POST OF UTTER GENIUS
60 4-years old. The method is not clearly defined and the sample is not large enough to be very representative. Move on people, nothing to see here.
Quote by Carmel
I can't believe you are whoring yourself out like that.

ಠ_ಠ
Quote by CoreysMonster

This "study" would work the same with any other show that's colorful and enticing. Sit those kids in front of The Lion King and the same thing would happen, it's like giving a preschooler candy and then expecting him to eat his asparagus.

I really wonder about entire groups of people with degrees that can somehow produce a study like this and not have at least mentally stumbled across this.

Whether they have an agenda to bank or not I don't know, but what... the.... ****.
There are three kinds of lies: Fibs, damned lies and statistics.
Ceci n'est pas une signature.
Page 1 of 2