So where exactly do you guys learn your theory? Im in college right now and any music theory im studying comes from classes directed towards my major, BUT im noticing some of you have extensive theory knowledge.

Where the hell did you pick it up? I can only imagine a guitar teacher costing Hundreds, if not thousands of dollars for extensive training (given a lesson is around 30 min with $15-$30 per lesson)

Is it books? Are you guys in college? did you just pick it up from other musicians?
I learned mine in college and through guitar lessons.

Most of the theory geeks that post on here are usually either incorrect or incoherent. So I'd take a lot of what you're reading with a grain of salt.
aeolian wolf correcting me...

but mostly i just read it off of here there are many lessons and once you have a decent understadning the rest of it makes sense
12 years - self taught - led me to making/discovering a whole set of observations that I have never seen before or since, evolved those over another 5 years into a progressive full guitar based approach which became an entire Curriculum, that I now teach locally as well as to students around the world.

Best,

Sean
Quote by supersac
aeolian wolf correcting me...

lol, I wonder where he's been, he hasn't been on in a while

I've learned everything I can from this forum and random websites.

Most of the people here have gone to college for music though.

You don't NEED a teacher... but having one sure is nice.
What do you guys listen to when playing video games?
Quote by DemonicSamurai

Quote by T3hdude

Men fapping.

Sorry, didn't realize I was that loud.

I'll be leaving your closet now.
Self taught, from books mostly and with a guitar teacher I had for 2 years or so. Additionally discussing concepts on this forum has helped me develop my understanding further. I play in a lot of bands which also helps me dissect all sorts of songs from a theory perspective.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
I just lurk here a lot, read the occasional wiki article and such. I took AP Music Theory in HS, but it really didn't teach anything other than giving me an excuse to force aural training.

To me, a whole lot of theory is just knowing the processes of approaching scales/chords/whatever you're dealing with. Learning a new genre of music, for example, is similar no matter what type of music you're learning. Theory functions similar to that. Once I had a decent foundation, everything just got easier to understand. I'm by no means a whiz, but I can typically understand everything people throw at me and can work through problems with a little time and thought.
Quote by Kevätuhri
Hail isn't too edgy for posts, posts are not edgy enough for Hail.

Quote by UseYourThumb
You win. I'm done here.
The basics from primary school (aged 7-11), where music was taught far, far better than in secondary school (12-17). I still remember back to the odd Time And Tune lesson.

Then Ralph Denyer's Guitar Handbook.

Then various internet sources.
i know little theory,guitar teacher taught me the basics,notes chords and a few variations of chords,over a long time ive built on that and i am slowly reaping the rewards,i still like the mystery of not knowing too much,some of my best riffs are pure accidents.
Bachelor of Music with composition as my speciality, theory was the vast majority of my college experience....
Self taught, from books mostly and with a guitar teacher I had for 2 years or so. Additionally discussing concepts on this forum has helped me develop my understanding further.

Pretty much the same here.
Quote by iancmtaylor
lol, I wonder where he's been, he hasn't been on in a while

He's taking a break from UG while he sorts some things out.

I learnt from books, mainly self taught although I've always had a college teacher I could go to, to clear things up.
I've learned a lot from UG actually, particularly MT and good articles, but my guitar teachers have also taught me a lot about jazzy stuff. I don't have any books since I can't read sheet music, like, at all.
E:-6
B:-0
G:-5
D:-6
A:-0
E:-3
Quote by Sean0913
12 years - self taught - led me to making/discovering a whole set of observations that I have never seen before or since, evolved those over another 5 years into a progressive full guitar based approach which became an entire Curriculum, that I now teach locally as well as to students around the world.

Best,

Sean

I wonder, do you actually learn your students what is ''normal'' and what is your ''superspecial theory''?
Quote by Go0ber
So where exactly do you guys learn your theory? Im in college right now and any music theory im studying comes from classes directed towards my major, BUT im noticing some of you have extensive theory knowledge.

Where the hell did you pick it up? I can only imagine a guitar teacher costing Hundreds, if not thousands of dollars for extensive training (given a lesson is around 30 min with $15-$30 per lesson)

Is it books? Are you guys in college? did you just pick it up from other musicians?

I went to school n stuff.
shred is gaudy music
School and the internet. My school does have an awful music department though>
Woffelz

Twitter
Youtube
Tumblr

Ibanez RG2550Z/SRX430
Alesis Core 1
BIAS FX

I'm a student. I've got no time or space for an amp!
I was self-taught for the most part, but I've taken music courses at my high school and have been involved with music at my school my whole high school career, so I definitely learned, and applied a lot of theory there.
Quote by liampje
I wonder, do you actually learn your students what is ''normal'' and what is your ''superspecial theory''?

Ask them?

That's like asking:

"If you need to get your passengers from LA To NY in 5 hours and you put them on a Commercial Jetliner, do you also teach them how to scale the Rockies on Horseback and make chewy bits of Jerky so they can survive long, cold winters?"

No I don't.

Best,

Sean
Had a guitar teacher who really knew his stuff, and I read quite a few books.
Blog Of Awesome UGers.
Quote by OddOneOut
I seem to attract girls.
Which is annoying, cos I'm a girl and I like cock.

Quote by IRISH_PUNK13
Being an idiot should be illegal too.
Ive been playing just two years and while maybe not a 'noob' Im still clearly novice with a sprinkle of intermediate. I play some things well when in my comfort zone but Im still focused on the simple building blocks of being a good player... learning the fret board, playing notes and scales with any agility at all and barre chords.

That being said my grasp on theory is WAY ahead of my playing for a very simple reason. I took about 4-5 years of piano from age 8-12. Over the years I never stuck with it, I was just never passionate about the instrument or playing music or getting better. But I did play enough to keep up some skills and play a little.

That experience has been HUGE for my development learning guitar. I immediatly understood the circle of 5ths or why Am and C and Em and G are 'related.' I still visualize notes on a keyboard and it was easy. Same with modes, as I visualize the scales on the keyboard and I find the piano notes easier to grasp when trying to digest concepts.

I understand not everyone can do this, but if your into composing or just love music enough and have the time get a keyboard and learn the notes. I guarentee it will improve your understanding of music theory faster than any lesson.

And here's your first fun trick. The black notes are the Ebm pentatonic scale or the F# major pent scale. So next time you wander into the keyboard section of your guitar center or Sam ash go put some funky beat on a synth and jam on the black keys. That scale should sound pretty familiar
he of tranquil mind