If one wanted to play for some small venues, a church, a bar, etc. What kind of guitar would suffice? How good a guitar do you actually need to play live?
I've played in such small places a couple times with a 100 dollar acoustic guitar.

It can be done.
“Just to sum up: I would do various things very quickly.” - Donald Trump
You don't really need to spend more than $1000 on an amp and $1000 on a guitar to sound pretty decent.

You have to make the right choices, though.
As long as the guitar stays in tune, it's playable.
Guitars:
Ibanez S5470 w/ DiMarzio Crunch Lab & Liquifire
Ibanez RG1527
Ibanez SA160
Ibanez E-Acoustic
Selfmade Telecaster w/ DiMarzio Twang King & Chopper T

"Maybe one day we'll wake up and this will all just be a dream"
I got a Peavey Valveking + a B-52 cab for $800 at Guitar Center, and a Gibson Les Paul for $1300. But before the LP I had a $700 Jackson Dinky. but you can do a lot more for cheap. Just remember, it doesn't have to be expensive to be good!
You just need one that plays and sounds good and doesn't go out of tune when somebody in the audience sneezes.
dimebag razorback and a Dime halfstack

especially for church
~don't finkdinkle when ur supposed to be dimpdickin~
i prefer to play my guitar (fender jaguar, dont remember the exact model but its a newer one with fender enforcer pickups), im more comfortable with it for pretty much anything except acoustic stuff

i really want this one though, first time i actually want another guitar in forever

it came out when i first started playing guitar i think... all the online ads i find are so old and/ or sold already, and i doubt i could find it even with the most thorough hunting (ill try soon anyways though...) ;___;
Quote by Lewadra
As long as the guitar stays in tune, it's playable.

And it needs working/reliable electronics, and decent pickups.
What you really need is a new amp.

Seriously though good amp and a decent guitar, or shitty one just make sure it stays in tune and doesn't fall apart.
I pretend to write songs.

If I die tomorrow, I'd be alright
Because I believe that after we're gone
The spirit carries on
Quote by Go0ber
If one wanted to play for some small venues, a church, a bar, etc. What kind of guitar would suffice? How good a guitar do you actually need to play live?

Suffice? Anything with 6 strings and pickups that can be tuned.....
Quote by Butt Rayge
And it needs working/reliable electronics, and decent pickups.

TBH I've never come across a guitar that didn't 'work'.
Calling a pickup 'decent' is a matter of taste, I like my Crunch Lab and Liquifire whereas others might prefer some single coils instead, no need for them to expensive.
Guitars:
Ibanez RG1527
Ibanez SA160
Ibanez E-Acoustic

Quote by Lewadra
TBH I've never come across a guitar that didn't 'work'.
Calling a pickup 'decent' is a matter of taste, I like my Crunch Lab and Liquifire whereas others might prefer some single coils instead, no need for them to expensive.

Well, a squier bullet strat doesn't exactly have good pickups or electronics. My wiring and everything gave out every other week, and I've heard many similar stories.

Of course pickups are a matter of taste, but there's still objectively good and bad pickups.
Quote by Butt Rayge
Well, a squier bullet strat doesn't exactly have good pickups or electronics. My wiring and everything gave out every other week, and I've heard many similar stories.

Of course pickups are a matter of taste, but there's still objectively good and bad pickups.

Not great but good, everything lasts if taken good care of.

I don't really know about these 'objectively good' pickups. Sure most people find more expensive (read: not stock like Ibanez INF) pickups better, but that too is just a matter of preference. If the pickup works, it's good, the rest is subjective.
Guitars:
Ibanez RG1527
Ibanez SA160
Ibanez E-Acoustic

Quote by Go0ber
So a MIM telecaster would suffice for some shows?

The guitarist from Los Lonely Boys plays MIM every night if I'm not mistaken.....so yes you'll be fine.
Quote by Lewadra
If the pickup works, it's good, the rest is subjective.

Well, I suppose some people could like poorly made, dull, quiet pickups with shoddy wiring, zero headroom and extreme hum, but I'd think of that as 'objectively' bad, if only because it doesn't function the way it's intended to.
Quote by Butt Rayge
Well, I suppose some people could like poorly made, dull, quiet pickups with shoddy wiring, zero headroom and extreme hum, but I'd think of that as 'objectively' bad, if only because it doesn't function the way it's intended to.

If it doesn't work like it's supposed to, it's broken. That doesn't meet the 'working' requirement.
Guitars:
Ibanez RG1527
Ibanez SA160
Ibanez E-Acoustic

Quote by Go0ber
So a MIM telecaster would suffice for some shows?

I play gigs with an MiM strat and I sound great.
Well, Jack White plays some really beaten up guitars and cheap stuff, but he gets some awesome sounds.

I play a Gibson Les Paul Standard because it does everything I want and is absolutely perfect.
Quote by L2112Lif
You sir, have very well-defined tastes. Dogear P90's, trap tailpiece... Hell, I'd buy it if I wasn't so fukkin uneasy around hollows.

I did buy one. As long as the venue has good foldback and front-of-house systems, I can play it alright without too much feedback from the amp, but if that stuff's no good, it's unplayable and I have to use my LP instead.