So I have 2 questions, and I have Google and YouTube searched to no avail. First my Specs:

Laptop:
Windows 7 64-bit
4GB RAM
2GHz processor
Stock soundcard/built in speakers

Alesis GuitarLink cable (1/4 instrument jack on one end, USB on other)

Amplitube 3
Audacity (newest version, not sure the #s off the top of my head, posting from mobile)

PROBLEM 1:

I plug into guitar and laptop. In AmpliTube whenever I play a string it's just a buzzing noise, like a crackle. I have tried all of the settings that were recommended in Goigle search results but it didn't change anything. The setting I use are Direct X with the USB "microphone" source input and the built in speaker option for output. Those are the only settings where any sound at all happens so I'm assuming the settings are right. But for some reason it just buzzes when a string is plucked.

Also, as a side note, I noticed that when I had the link cable plugged in all other audio sources stopped. Like YouTube and stuff, no sound would play, but if I pull out the USB sound immediately plays, so I'm wondering if the cable itself could be the culprit?

PROBLEM 2:

Probably simple, but I can't seem to figure out how to use AmpliTube as a plug-in in Audacity? Im a bit confused by some of the search results. I don't know where to go in the actual program to import the effects.

Thanks in advance for any info, and sorry for the long read, just trying to provide as much info as I can.
1: It could be the cable (not sure though, I'm not really an expert). If you want to be sure, find a new one in your local computer shop (I'm assuming it's a popular type of cable since it's AmpliTube).

2. I don't think you can use Audacity this way. You could probably use AmpliTube as the input for Audacity (with both programs running at the same time, not AmpliTube as a plug-in in Audacity), though don't ask me how. Or try another program, it could work with Reaper (also free, officially it isn't really, but my trial version has been going for over a year now...)
Gear:
Fender Jazzmaster
Boss DS-2
Digitech RP150 (with Line6 EX-1 Exp pedal)
Orange Crush 30R

My Youtube Page
Read this!You know you really want to...

Quote by poipoi

2. I don't think you can use Audacity this way. You could probably use AmpliTube as the input for Audacity (with both programs running at the same time, not AmpliTube as a plug-in in Audacity), though don't ask me how. Or try another program, it could work with Reaper (also free, officially it isn't really, but my trial version has been going for over a year now...)

You can't. Forget about Audacity and get a decent DAW that can actually do stuff.
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
I highly recommend REAPER!
Audio Ecstasy Productions!

Guitar/Backline Tech in the Los Angeles area and on tour!
Custom guitar pedals and cabling for stage and studio!

I set up DAWs and tweak computers to record audio. Hit me up @ audioecstasyproductions[at}gmail.com
OK I'm definately gonna try Reaper. So while on the subject, how would I use AmpliTube in conjunction with Reaper? And also, I have a DigiTech RP500, would it be easier to just run that as my modeling and play in Reaper, or would using AmpliTube be a better option?
Just choose which track you want to record on, arm it, make sure it's monitored out somewhere (headphones, speakers, etc). Then click on the little fx button and add the Amplitube plugin in to the track FX.

This method allows you to change the tone after recording if you are not happy with it.
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
OK, I'm getting super frustrated now. I got reaper, but again, I hear nothing when playing guitar through that cable. All I want to do is record music "legitimately", not keep recording voice memos of songs or riffs or other ideas with the crappy mic/voice memo app on the iPhone lol. I appreciate the suggestions so far though.