I've been butting heads with the other half of my duo recently in that he wants to have different monikers for groups of songs that have different sounds. He makes a decent point in saying that many popular bands of the last decade have a signature sound that makes a song instantly recognizable as theirs (the strokes and bloc party are perfect examples of this, although not what we're aiming for sonically).

The thing is, I don't think any of the songs we play are so far out that they sound like they belong to a different band. We aren't genre hopping or anything like that. I find this incredibly frustrating because it implies that a song i write would have to be played under a different band name. After all, he and I have slightly different writing styles.

here is a soundcloud sample of two songs that we wrote that he would consider too dissimilar to play under one name.

http://soundcloud.com/johnspalace

So, is it a good idea to create five bands with the same musicians, or is it just a silly idea considering the same musicians wrote all the songs, thus the songs define us as a group, even though each song isn't a remake of the last one?
Being a diverse band is a good thing. Maybe 2 separate bands, but not 5.
Praise the Z-Dog, my DADDY
That is pretty silly, there are tons of bands that have a variety of different sounding songs and in my opinion they are the best kind of bands.
Take Led Zeppelin, who wrote some of the heaviest stuff of the time, and also dozens of soft and acoustic songs.

EDIT: and those two songs sound like they're totally by the same band.

Quote by emad
jthm_guitarist
Warned for trolling!

Quote by metal4eva_22
Didn't you say that you had a stuffed fox that you would occasionally fuck?

Quote by Axelfox
It's not a fox,it's a wolf.
Last edited by jthm_guitarist at Sep 26, 2011,
Silly idea, it'll always sound like the same people playing the same instruments, and sound the same, because it is.

To add to Led Zeppelin:

Faith No More
The Beatles

Always sound like themselves, and I'm sure their sounds are much more varied than those you're pumping out with your buddies.

And as said above, those songs sound like they're from the same band....because they are.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
I listened to your two songs.

It sounded like the same vocals in both. Both were the same tempo. They kinda both sounded in the same key but I am not sure.

Not sure what your marketing advantage would be to use more than one band name.
Quote by Quintex
I listened to your two songs.

It sounded like the same vocals in both. Both were the same tempo. They kinda both sounded in the same key but I am not sure.

Not sure what your marketing advantage would be to use more than one band name.

It would be more of a disadvantage really. I mean, you'd have to market two different bands at the same time. Besides, they sound similar enough that fans of the first song would almost certainly like the second song.

I don't see any point in releasing music under two different names.