More specifically, extremely belated new half stack day. I've had the cab for a very long time now, and the head for a couple of months, but I finally got the floor pedal a few days ago. So now I can do the NAD. Pics... (I'm sorry I couldn't get better quality pics, but all I have to work with is my phone camera, so I did the best I could)

So I got a Peavey Vypyr Tube 120H, a Peavey MS412 cab, and a Sanpera II (with a really cool carrying case).

Out of all the amps I've owned, this amp is easily my favorite. The sheer amount of versatility and sound quality in such a cheap amp is ridiculous. I recommend and support this amp a lot around here, and for good reason. This beast can handle anything you throw at it.

A big reason why I love this amp so much is because I live in an apartment, so naturally I am very sound conscious. This amp can literally go down to whisper quiet volumes. I can easily hear my strings more than the amp if I want to. And even though it is that quiet, it still retains all of it's tone. This is something that my 5150 is incapable of. The Vypyr Tube, like any proper tube amp, does sound better the more you turn it up. Once you get her past 1, she really starts to sing. This amp has the best sustain and harmonic quality out of any amp I have owned. That could be being helped along a lot by the 4x12 cab though. The cleans are incredible, the crunch is good, and the high gain tones are almost as good as my 5150. Definitely good enough for me, considering I have not played my 5150 in months since getting this amp. Another thing I would like to note is that the noise gate built into this amp is the best I've ever encountered. It's just so tight, it's ridiculous.

The MS412... I love this cab. Although the speakers are nothing special (Sheffield 1290's, I believe), the cab itself is wonderful. I love the aesthetics of it with the metal grill, which is why I got it in the first place. I never have to worry about getting my grill cloth ripped in any onstage shenanigans. With a speaker swap down the road, I expect that this cab will stay with me for a long time.

The Sanpera II is awesome, and really allows the Vypyr to shine in all of it's glory. The ability to activate the looper, turn on/off the Effects, Stomboxes, Delay & Reverb on the amp at will is priceless. Not to mention that I can store over 400 presets/patches in the pedal. I've only had it a couple days, so I've only begun to scratch the surface of it's capabilities. One complaint I do have about it is that the wah and tuner are a pain to activate. You really have to stomp down on the expression pedals to activate them. Also, changing presets also takes a second, which can really mess with you, but I overcame it by knowing that I just need to press the switch a second before I want to switch. The MIDI cable to connect it to the Vypyr is nice and thick, which I like. It's also pretty long (25 ft I believe), so that is also a huge plus.

I've been trying to record some clips for you guys, but no matter what I tried, I just could not get the distortion to sound very good recorded. That might just be the nature of the beast (PC speakers vs cab speakers). So, I did the best I could to try to show off some of the tones I use, and it's capabilities.

These clips are recorded straight from the Headphones Out on the Vypyr into my Creative Audigy sound card/interface, and then recorded in audacity. There is absolutely no editing, no post production, no nothing, just straight up my playing. I personally hate when amp's tone is covered up by that stuff, so rest assured that this is the amp (albeit the headphone out). The amp sounds much bigger and fuller in real life, with none of the hiss or muddiness in some of the clips. I wish I had a good mic and interface so I could capture how this amp really sounds through my cab, but I don't =/ I also apologize for my sloppy playing.

All clips were recorded with my LTD H-301. EMG 81 in the bridge, EMG 60 in the neck.
Classic Green, EMG 60
Classic Green, more delay/reverb, EMG 60
Classic Green, even MORE delay/reverb, EMG 60
Brit Red, EMG 81
6505 Red, EMG 81
Rec Red, EMG 81

The next two clips are parts of songs I've written for my band.
Song Part 1, Rec Red, EMG 81
Song Part 2, Rec Red, EMG 81

Of course, I will happily record any requests to the best of my abilities.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Dang...I gotta get me one of those.

HNAD!
Quote by SimplyBen
That's the advantage of being such a distance from Yianni. I can continue to live my life without fear of stumbling upon his dark terror.

Quote by Toppscore
NakedInTheRain aka "Naked with shriveled pencil sized bacon In The Rain"
If you want to know how much the cab is contributing to the sound try plugging the 5150 into it.

HNAD
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Ehh dude, it'd help the definition if you could turn the gain down somewhat. You're peaking throughout the 6505 and Rec clips.
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
Liking the clean stuff, not too impressed by the dirty, like you said you have your limitations, but turning the gain down will deffinately help, the british drive sound was lacking way too much body for me. Also, cab emulation is a necessity.

Doesnt the vypyr have a DI out? If it does use that for recording instead. Should match the impedance better with your soundcard.

Id like to hear it miced up properly though.

HBNAD!
Last edited by beckyjc at Sep 26, 2011,
.......I think he likes peavey :P

That's cool though man, always wanted to try the stacks of those.
ಠ_ಠ
- Yes, My name is actually Terran -
- Not just a Starcraft fan -

Terran > Zerg and Protoss
Quote by beckyjc
Liking the clean stuff, not too impressed by the dirty, like you said you have your limitations, but turning the gain down will deffinately help, the british drive sound was lacking way too much body for me. Also, cab emulation is a necessity.

Doesnt the vypyr have a DI out? If it does use that for recording instead. Should match the impedance better with your soundcard.

Id like to hear it miced up properly though.

HBNAD!

There is a USB out, but I could never get it to work. I don't believe there is a 1/4" DI out.

Again, I apologize for the recordings. It sounds much, much better IRL

Maybe I'll try the USB again later.

Quote by Tango616
.......I think he likes peavey :P

That's cool though man, always wanted to try the stacks of those.

A little. Hehe

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Cool amp

Nice review

HNAD

for some reason I cannot get SoundCloud to work for me so I can't listen to clipzorz. If you want to upload your Rec/6505 clip to dropbox or your profile I can try that. I've never tried to record out of amp directly but is a goal of mine. My clips were done with a SM57/UX1.

Have fun!
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
Cool amp

Nice review

HNAD

for some reason I cannot get SoundCloud to work for me so I can't listen to clipzorz. If you want to upload your Rec/6505 clip to dropbox or your profile I can try that. I've never tried to record out of amp directly but is a goal of mine. My clips were done with a SM57/UX1.

Have fun!

Dropbox is what I wanted to upload to in the first place - I just couldn't remember the name of the site

I may upload it there as well a bit later, as well as trying out other recording methods/messing with levels again to try to get a cleaner sound. I'm really tired right now though

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
you should de-fang you're vyper
its personal preference but i think these things look 10 times better without that corny plastic decorative piece on them.
Quote by travs2448
is the puppy solid state or tube?

Quote by diceksox1809
solid state. when she screams it pisses me off

^

Quote by GrizzlyFnAdams6
Dimebag had s*** tone and that guitar plays like an abortion. Come at me, bro!

Quote by jpatan
It's because Garth Brooks brings the ****in' br00tz.
Quote by Offworld92
There is a USB out, but I could never get it to work. I don't believe there is a 1/4" DI out.

Again, I apologize for the recordings. It sounds much, much better IRL

Maybe I'll try the USB again later.

A little. Hehe

The Vypyr doesnt have cab emulatio- it only models the preamp IIRC.
Try using impulses? Or borrowing a friends mic and micing it?
311 made some pretty nice clips with his SM57 when he got the 60W version.
Doing some more reading about the Vypyr and just wondering about how many effects you can have at once. It's 5, right? Is that just for the 'effects' or does that mean you can only have 5 of the stompbox side + effects? Does the wah on the sanpera count towards that limit? And how does the sanpera handle triggering a single effect (for example enabling the phaser)?
Fleet of MiJ Ibanez
Couple of Balls
Peavey & EVH Wolfgangs
Eclipse
Fender HM Strat
Kemper KPA
5150 III 50w & cabs
Quote by DarthV
Doing some more reading about the Vypyr and just wondering about how many effects you can have at once. It's 5, right? Is that just for the 'effects' or does that mean you can only have 5 of the stompbox side + effects? Does the wah on the sanpera count towards that limit? And how does the sanpera handle triggering a single effect (for example enabling the phaser)?

Stompbox effect + amp model + rack effect + delay + reverb. So that tells you how much its capable of. But it doubt any other modelling amp in the price range can give even as much. IMHO most modelling amps at that price range dont manage to do the amp modelling well enough, forget the FX.
Some of the effects are very well done on this, like the fuzz, the boosts, the compressor, the chorus(not the one labelled 'analog chorus').
The wah comes under rack effect, as does the looper.
No idea about the sanpera. Sorry.
Carvin TL60
Ibanez RG370DXL
TheSyle Velcro Fuzz
Line 6 HD500
Peavey Vypyr 120 Tube

---------
Close your eyes, shut out the world, and you will understand. Post-rock/shoegaze/ambient.

Blue Skies and Paign

Like our facebook page!
Pretty much what Ravenfaust said. You get 1 "Stompbox", 1 "Effect", Delay, and Reverb. On the Sanpera II, you get a Volume pedal, and a wah pedal. Those are both completely additional.

I wish you could have more than one stombox or effect on at the same time, but it's really hard to complain considering how cheap these amps are. At the end of the day, I always find a satisfiable option. I just really wish I could have a tubescreamer and a compressor on at the same time

@travs2448 no way! The Vypyr looks retarded without the faceplate.

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Ah, too bad it wasn't 4 (5 with amp sim) of your own choosing. At least the wah doesn't count as a stomp or effect.
Fleet of MiJ Ibanez
Couple of Balls
Peavey & EVH Wolfgangs
Eclipse
Fender HM Strat
Kemper KPA
5150 III 50w & cabs
Quote by Offworld92
Pretty much what Ravenfaust said. You get 1 "Stompbox", 1 "Effect", Delay, and Reverb. On the Sanpera II, you get a Volume pedal, and a wah pedal. Those are both completely additional.

I wish you could have more than one stombox or effect on at the same time, but it's really hard to complain considering how cheap these amps are. At the end of the day, I always find a satisfiable option. I just really wish I could have a tubescreamer and a compressor on at the same time

@travs2448 no way! The Vypyr looks retarded without the faceplate.

hahah no way man!!!! lol its preference, idk i just find it corny and cheap lookin
Quote by travs2448
is the puppy solid state or tube?

Quote by diceksox1809
solid state. when she screams it pisses me off

^

Quote by GrizzlyFnAdams6
Dimebag had s*** tone and that guitar plays like an abortion. Come at me, bro!

Quote by jpatan
It's because Garth Brooks brings the ****in' br00tz.
You really hate Peavy, don't you?
Quote by necrosis1193
As usual Natrone's mouth spouts general win.

Quote by Silverstein14
man, Natrone you're some kind of ninja I swear

Quote by gregs1020
plexi

i realize the longshot that is. little giant to humongous one.

Rest In Peace Stevie Ray
Quote by Natrone
You really hate Peavy, don't you?

Yes. Can't stand them. Pieces of crap.

Haha.

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Hey, I play my Vypyr without that lame faceplate

Also I'm sorry for totally copying you Now I look like a poser! But I swear I didn't read this until AFTER my OP was up.