give me a quiet clicking noise everytime i touch the strings or any metal parts of the guitar? or does it have some grounding issue?

its my first single coil guitar and its been like that since i got it, so i dont know if it should be like that
Inspired by Ibanez RGA321F Prestige, Gibson Les Paul Standard
Powered by CAA OD100 standard+ , Mesa 2x12
Affected by Maxon OD808, Mad Professor Deep blue delay

no, sounds like a grounding issue, might be with the guitar, or sometimes i get it with specific power points...
---
Is it really a clicking sound or more like touching the jack of your guitar cable (while its plugged in)? Ground issues should sound like the second one. Normally the bridge should be connected to one of the pots. Maybe you remove the bridge to see if it's still soldered.
This has happened to me before. I believe it was with my Squier Bullet strat, which has long since gone out of commission. It had all sorts of problems with its electronics, so much so that I had to redo the soldering and everything every few months. I can't recall if it fixed the 'clicking problem at all, though.
Same issue with my SRV Signature strat, bringing it to shop today cause I have NO idea about guitar electronics. It crackles when i touch the strings, and sometimes electrifies my arm with slight shock lol..
Quote by omidmash
Same issue with my SRV Signature strat, bringing it to shop today cause I have NO idea about guitar electronics. It crackles when i touch the strings, and sometimes electrifies my arm with slight shock lol..

that can be an amp or wall outlet issue.

try the guitar with a different amp.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
Quote by Jaekae
give me a quiet clicking noise everytime i touch the strings or any metal parts of the guitar? or does it have some grounding issue?

its my first single coil guitar and its been like that since i got it, so i dont know if it should be like that

something isnt connected, or grounded properly.

sometimes a better guitar cable, a different outlet, or room can help.

especially if there's a computer or fan in the one you're playing in now.

shielding, checking the output jack (as suggested), upgrading the cable,
and trying the guitar thru a different amp, can help identify the main issue.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Tried my Ibanez and my ESP with the amp, it's a Fender mustang 3 with 4 cable method through Boss GT-10. No crackles. My Fender even crackles when put straight in the amp, and electrifying my arm is not cool.

In middle of a live performance my guitar buzzed my arm, and it made me do a crazy roar in one of Metallica's song. I don't mind, many liked it even though they never understood the reason.
I changed amp as well as all cables. But today I noticed it might be from pickguard. Do you think I should open it and sand it's bottom?
Quote by omidmash
I changed amp as well as all cables. But today I noticed it might be from pickguard. Do you think I should open it and sand it's bottom?

that particular guitar is not grounded.

open the back cavity and check that the wire is connected to the bridge in there.

in addition to the guitar not being grounded,
there is a huge chance that your amp, wall outlet, amp plug...
is not working correctly.

so
ungrounded amp (or wall )+ grounded guitar = you probably wont feel a shock.
grounded amp (or wall) + ungrounded guitar = you should not feel shocks.
ungrounded amp (or wall) + ungrounded guitar (or mic stand) = SHOCK

basically, i'm trying to say that the guitar (unless it's got active pickups)
is not shocking you.
the electricity is coming from an ungrounded, faulty amp and or wall and
is passed to you through an ungrounded guitar.

so fixing the guitar is only part of the problem.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

Quote by Jaekae

I think it's the pickup shielding issue. Is there a slot where you can screw out a cover to access the volume/tone control circuits? If so, check the circuit. Then, shield the pickups properly using aluminum foil to ground the circuit. This is the first step.
Next, use a Noise Supressor/Noise Gate to block most of the hum. Then, if you have a tremolo system, get rid of the back cover to get rid of more sound.
Grounding comes next. Proper circuit grounding will help expedite the pickup shielding.
Hope this helps,
parhelia_0000
My first guitar (fender starcaster) made that clicking noise for a while. Then it just stopped. Which was odd.
Quote by EndOfNothing656
Everyone can sing, its just some asshole who makes you feel bad and tells you to stop thats the problem...

Quote by randomhero93
ah I see that you're new here... so I won't be the one to slander you for spam.
Quote by ajondunnfarmer
My first guitar (fender starcaster) made that clicking noise for a while. Then it just stopped. Which was odd.

Clicking noise? Is it common with other guitars? If so, then it's the amp problem.
Quote by parhelia_0000
Clicking noise? Is it common with other guitars? If so, then it's the amp problem.

Its an amp problem. Basically just proved it. Bought a new custom epihpone blah blah. Using my same original amp. Still occasionally clicks, get it fixed if you want i left mine and it was fine. Only clicks on the distortion channel for me btw.
Quote by EndOfNothing656
Everyone can sing, its just some asshole who makes you feel bad and tells you to stop thats the problem...

Quote by randomhero93
Quote by Jaekae

Idk about clicking, but any true single coil, when you touch the strings, the 60 cycle hum will get quieter, but wont ever go completely away, which is normal.
I shall bookmark that my good sir!
Quote by EndOfNothing656

Quote by randomhero93
I'm usually a scruffy git but did a proper job on my Strat and Les Paul copies so bought some of this,

http://******.com/uyg76

It improved the tone of the guitars by allowing cleaner frequencies through not masked by bad grounding and screening.

Latest ditty with the,"Vintage" brand Les Paul copy,

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?p=28238872#post28238872

Noise is the enemy in recordings.It steals things............
First link is broken mate. Listened to a couple of your mp3's. Really digging them.
Quote by EndOfNothing656

Quote by randomhero93
Nah, it can't find the url now. Link to a picture of it? etc.

[EDIT] It works now. I intend to take apart my good ol' stacaster and customise it. I'll remember to get some of this
Quote by EndOfNothing656

Quote by randomhero93
Last edited by ajondunnfarmer at Oct 1, 2011,
Quote by ajondunnfarmer
Its an amp problem. Basically just proved it. Bought a new custom epihpone blah blah. Using my same original amp. Still occasionally clicks, get it fixed if you want i left mine and it was fine. Only clicks on the distortion channel for me btw.

The guitar amplifier (a basic Roland amp which is a few years old) in my high school also had this problem. You should be fine with the clicks though. Contrary to popular belief, I don't think that good-quality patch cords solve this problem. It's the amp issue.
Quote by Sheppola
Just put copper shield tape into Ebay

There could also be other types of metal that can shield the pickups, like silver, I presume?
Quote by parhelia_0000
There could also be other types of metal that can shield the pickups, like silver, I presume?

self adhesive copper tape, when done correctly, is simple and cost effective when
shielding.

and again, i see this thread has drifted off course a little,

shielding a guitar doesnt always quiet a guitar.
especially when grounding or the amp is the issue.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

Last edited by jj1565 at Oct 2, 2011,
Quote by jj1565
self adhesive copper tape, when done correctly, is simple and cost effective when
shielding.

and again, i see this thread has drifted off course a little,

shielding a guitar doesnt always quiet a guitar.
especially when grounding or the amp is the issue.

Well-said. There are many steps to properly eliminating a guitar pickup's sound. Proper grounding and copper shielding are only a few ways to do so.
for me it was the electic outlet, because its not grounded, noticed when i realised it i got that clicking noise when i touched the pedals and channel switcher also
Inspired by Ibanez RGA321F Prestige, Gibson Les Paul Standard