Ok, basicly, I am thinking of a new bass amp (head and cab). I recently got a ampeg ba115 when i first started bass, and it is great, but not powerfull enougth to be heard in a band situation at a gig. Im yet to be in a band, thus the lack of a rush to get an amp, I'm just looking and day dreaming at this stage.

I do have trouble when it comes to understanding Ohms, I do understand that they must match up between the cab(or cabs) and Head. But that is it. When it comes to matching up watts, I dont have a clue (ie, is it ok to have an amp with higher watt rating then the cab, and visa versa).

Curently im looking at a Hartke 410XL cab. Looks sweet and all. But the Head, HA5500C and 3500C are both rated at 4 ohms (the cab is 8 ohms, and the 3500c's 8 ohm setting isnt enougth power). I only want (and could possibly afford) one cab.
What do?

Also, other info:
I play a Warwick Corvette
I like my metal, Basicly, thrash and death metal
I want to be loud enougth to make the ladies parts tingle.
That is all.

Thanks again guys for putting up with me!
Quote by thunderbritches
I would still call him a regular musician...just a very irregular person lol

Warwick Pro Series Corvette
Hartke HA 3500
Genz Benz LS410
The 5500c puts out 350W at 8ohms, and 350W should be plenty in most band situations. If you're playing a huge venue, you'll be mic'd anyways. Plus, if you REALLY need more, you can get another 4x10 or a 1x15 with 8ohm impedance and you'll have your 500W, plus adding a second cab pushes a ton of air.
Quote by Kevätuhri
Hail isn't too edgy for posts, posts are not edgy enough for Hail.

Quote by UseYourThumb
You win. I'm done here.
Quote by Hail
The 5500c puts out 350W at 8ohms, and 350W should be plenty in most band situations. If you're playing a huge venue, you'll be mic'd anyways. Plus, if you REALLY need more, you can get another 4x10 or a 1x15 with 8ohm impedance and you'll have your 500W, plus adding a second cab pushes a ton of air.

Wait, the website says "500 Watts of power at 4 ohms"??
And the cab is 400watts at 8 ohms?
Quote by thunderbritches

Hartke HA 3500
Genz Benz LS410
Basically, it's saying that if the cab is at 4 ohms, it will draw 500 watts. If the cab is 8 ohms, it will take around 300-350. If you put on 2 8 ohm cabs, you will get 500 watts.

I've always thought it best as fractions. 1/4=1/8+1/8. 1/4>1/8+1/16 and so forth. The left side is the amp- this should always be equal or greater than the right side of the equation, which are the cabs. Just put 1 over the impedence to create those equations. However, as is the way with things, an 8 ohm cab won't draw half the power from a 4 ohm output, even though it's double the impedence. Through other factors it will get just above half.
Some reason i can not wrap my head around this. No idea why. So what you are saying is, 500 Watts of power at 4 ohms equates to less (not half, so ill say less) when it is going to 8 ohms(the 300-350 you said), because since it is at 8 ohms, there is more resistance, and so less watts?

Sorry haha.
Quote by thunderbritches

Hartke HA 3500
Genz Benz LS410
Quote by Cantplay4penuts
Some reason i can not wrap my head around this. No idea why. So what you are saying is, 500 Watts of power at 4 ohms equates to less (not half, so ill say less) when it is going to 8 ohms(the 300-350 you said), because since it is at 8 ohms, there is more resistance, and so less watts?

Sorry haha.

Yup, that's more or less correct.
Current Gear:

Warwick Thumb BO 4
Musicman "StatusRay" Stingray 4 - Carbon Fibre Neck
Musicman Stingray 5 HH
Sadowsky MV4 Jazz

Markbass LittleMark II
AccuGroove Tri12l
Sansamp VT Bass
Line6 BassPodXT Live

CHECK OUT MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL!
Quote by Deliriumbassist
In a nutshell.

Thank ****ing **** i got somewhere. lol.
Thanks man!
One day I'll get much better at it lol.
Quote by thunderbritches

Hartke HA 3500
Genz Benz LS410
The HA5500 is great, I have gigged with one quite a bit. I'd definitely recommend it.
Quote by UraniYum
Fuck you I'm trying to be caring and shit

Quote by Cb4rabid
Okay guys, I have a confession to make. Not really a confession since it's something that's been bugging me for awhile but I've always been in denial about it.

**** you gilly, it's not what you think